Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at used hellcats and manuals are plentiful but after having a m6 scat pack that I ran 1/4 mile with I think the a8 is going to be
a lot easier to race and quicker as well

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
412 Posts
I have a 2015 with the M6 transmission and a Barton shifter. I enjoy it --- most of the time. However, today's automatic transmissions are SO fast that there's no way a M6 can keep up.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got a m6 for the full muscle car experience, anyone can smash the gas, it's the fun of dropping a gear on the Highway and feeling the g's. And I think it's more fun racing with a manual.

Barton shifter is on my wish list might get it this week they have 15% off lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it would be a weekend driver with a good bit of test and tune fun, after reading about bearing problems on the sc may go back with a scat pack again since the used hc's will be out of warranty probably

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ill tell you what, no regerts!

Seriously though, when you catch another driver cruising thats driving stick, its a way funner race. It becomes a drivers race. Ive taken out cars much faster then my R/T just because the other guy missed a shift or was too slow.

No doubt the autos are almost a second faster 0-60.

If you’re chasing time slips the auto makes sense, but the manual is just so satisfying after 3 years and 80K miles with a short shifter i cant say im not satisfied

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I run my manual often during season and sometimes hate it but most of the time I love it. Sometimes I beat a auto Hellcat with same mods (800HP wheel). Id like to have a auto widebody eventually.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I really like my A8 but I wish they had put a little more thought into the paddle shifters.
They toggle vertically and I feel they should toggle horizontally and be about 8 or 9 inches long.
That may make the transmission a little more user friendly on a road course. I lose track of them during cornering maneuvers and this may just be a learning curve but I noticed a lot of other manufacturers have extended horizontally toggling paddles.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Love my M6, but I'm not a drag racer. For autocross and road course, or just general spirited driving, I like having direct manual control of the gears at all times. The TR-6060 takes anything you throw at it. No issues with getting too hot, even the factory clutch seems to last if you aren't overly abusive. Been flawless in both 6 speed Challengers I've owned. The odd time I've gone to the drag strip, still had a fun time.

But If I was at a drag strip primarily, I'd probably go automatic. It's just ideal for that sort of thing. If I were to get another Challenger (Not that I plan on it at this time), the 8 speed would be a serious consideration. If the right car came along that happened to be so equipped, I'd go for it. Honestly I can't imagine having regret either way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Truly, at the drags , I put the transmission in track and just mash the throttle so it takes a lot of the driver effort and skill out of the equation. But on a road course, keeping the r's at the right level and the vehicle angle correct is more difficult with an extra pedal.
Being able to keep both hands on the wheel and have one less pedal to deal with surely creates faster lap times but may not contribute to a more enjoyable driving experience.
I gotta say, while trying to hold my groceries on the passenger seat and maneuver some corners at high speeds I really would have liked both hands on the wheel today!
I really have to figure out a grocery box for the floor behind the passenger seat!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I had two manual transmission challengers (6.1 and a 6.4) and currently an auto (A5). The auto is incredibley consistent and faster at the strip. As a daily driver I miss the manual 6 speed.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You'll have to pry my M6 from my cold dead hands! Love my M6 - but I don't go to the race track and if I did - auto would be the way to go for sure if your chasing times. But for daily driving fun, to me you just can't beat an M6.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
586 Posts
For street driving I frequently would like to have the M6 but the A8 is fantastic. At the strip there is no comparison, the A8 is significantly faster. I have been trying to race a drag strip acquaintance who has an M6 Hellcat with new Continental Extreme Contact tires with my A8 Scat Pack with DR's. He refuses to race saying he doesn't want to get beat by a Scat Pack. My car is usually .3 quicker even though he is trapping over 10 MPH more than my car.

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
would love to be able to afford to convert my m6 to a fully synchronized gear box.....love the manual

·
Registered
771 Posts
Drive both first if you can, the Hellcat M6 has a close ratio transmission which has totally different gear ratios than the 392. I have an M6 Hellcat and I would never get an Auto, of course I don't drag race at the track either.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
552 Posts
My friend races a Hellcat with a 6 speed and its very hard on the car if you don't get everything right when launching, the autos are a little more forgiving and faster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a stock M6... Very fun for regular street driving. Don't really do the track thing.

#1 why do I need a Barton shifter?

#2 just curious for future mods, how much does it cost to convert to an A8?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you want to drive or do you want to ride?
I no longer own an automatic anything. It felt more like I was "riding" in the car and less like I was driving.
Time? A good driver can get close to automatic times. Learn your car, and you would be surprised what you can do.
Auto is great for jump in go and not have to do anything and become a part of traffic. Manual is good for ripping through gears and feeling like you are driving your muscle car.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Do you want to drive or do you want to ride?
I no longer own an automatic anything. It felt more like I was "riding" in the car and less like I was driving.
Time? A good driver can get close to automatic times. Learn your car, and you would be surprised what you can do.
Auto is great for jump in go and not have to do anything and become a part of traffic. Manual is good for ripping through gears and feeling like you are driving your muscle car.
That's funny. Guess that I'll ride by you while you're driving! Lol

Seriously though, it just a personal preference on what one likes best.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts