Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently went from an 18 R/T to a 19 Scat pack. The R/T was an automatic and the Scat pack is a six-speed. Has anyone else felt like the Scat pack feels kind of pudgy compared to the R/T?

Granted, I'm still in the 500-mile break-in. But it seriously feels like I'm bloated compared to the RT.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
Challenger R/T weighs in at 4190lbs. Challenger Scat Pack weighs in at 4232lbs. 42lbs on top of 4000+ lbs is hardly pudgy.

The R/T offers up to 375hp while the Scat Pack comes with 485hp. That 110hp difference I think more than makes up for the 42lbs difference in weight.

R/T wheelbase is 116.2 inches. Same as the Scat Pack. So at least wheelbases are the same.

R/T track width is front: 63.4 to 64 inches. Rear is 63.7 to 63.8 inches. Scat Pack: Same.

So the cars are the same when it comes to where the tires are on the road. The Scat Pack may have more overhang.

With a new car it takes me break in miles and beyond before I really start to explore the car's performance. When I first get a new car or a used car I mainly focus on ensuring a good break in (new car only, used car is already of course broken in) and proper servicing and try to adapt to the car, its controls, and such.

Suspect the car just feels different because it is different. Oh, do both cars have the electric power steering? My 2018 Scat Pack did while my 2018 Hellcat came with the hydraulic power steering. I prefer the feel of the hydraulic power steering.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
I just recently went from an 18 R/T to a 19 Scat pack. The R/T was an automatic and the Scat pack is a six-speed. Has anyone else felt like the Scat pack feels kind of pudgy compared to the R/T?

Granted, I'm still in the 500-mile break-in. But it seriously feels like I'm bloated compared to the RT.
Eat less before you drive it. Lol

On a serous note, when I went from my R/TC to my SP, I felt like I had a street tuned track car.

Loved my R/TC, but the SP took things to a whole new level of overall performance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah both cars had the electric steering. I'm wondering if it's just because I'm babying it during the 500-mile break-in.

I don't know the 6-speed just feels a little anemic compared to the A8 automatic.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,429 Posts
What wheels/tires on the Scat Pack? I went from a 2015 Charger R/T R&T to a 2018 SPS with Dynamics, and it feels wider, I have come within ¼" of scratching my wheels twice, and I never did that before in Charger when parking. I know the difference is negligible but it seems that it isn't. I think for me, what it is, I feel the Challenger should be smaller than the Charger, but really isn't and I drive it like it is a smaller car than it is. And on the road I doubt that the extra 1½" of track width with the Dynamics makes a rat's fart in the wind of difference from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have aftermarket Demon rims with 275\40\20s that I removed from my R/T before trading it in.

I just hit the 500 mile mark today, so I might loosen up and drive a bit more spiritedly and see what happens.

For some reason, the exhaust on the R/T sounder far better too, both stock.

·
Registered
448 Posts

No way haha. My RT was heavily modded and this Scat still is god-mode in comparison. I can only imagine a Hellcat .... in a few years maybe.

·
Registered
805 Posts
There's your problem.;)
I agree its the transmission change that has you baffled.
The magic of the torque converters multiplication of power, combined with the A5's steep 1st gear, provides gutsy low speed response.

If you had come out of a 5.7 6spd 3.90 gear car, and stepped into a 6.4 6spd SP, the performance increase would have been quite evident. The 6.4 easily provides more torque, more HP, and wider/higher RPM range.
(A better comparison would have been the 5.7 A5 vs 6.4 A8. You would be instantly impressed)

I don't know if your a long time performance stick shift driver or not.
So not trying to offend you, but maybe you are not shifting the 6spd fast enough and/or deep enough into the upper RPM range??
A 6spd SP should definitely feel fast.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last car I had that had a 6-speed in it was a 95 trans am. The shifter in it shifted like butter whilst this one is kind of notchy.

It does feel faster make no mistake. I guess I'm a little worried that I'm going to damage the motor by waiting too long to shift and hitting redline. I've never had a 6.4 so I don't know how robust they are.

My RT was a hell of a lot louder stock and I miss the go mango color.

I'm still taking it easy as I only have eight hundred miles on the car and I'm worried about the break-in.

And no I don't offend easily lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No way haha. My RT was heavily modded and this Scat still is god-mode in comparison. I can only imagine a Hellcat .... in a few years maybe.
Why not supercharge or twin turbo the scat. Upgrading the internals would still be cheaper then buying a cat or demon. Doesnt make sense to go down to a 6.1.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Why not supercharge or twin turbo the scat. Upgrading the internals would still be cheaper then buying a cat or demon. Doesnt make sense to go down to a 6.1.

Nope. The cost to do a build correctly will be closer to $15k. Now there's the rest of the "stuff" to get it to HC specs.

You'll be very close to the HC price too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What?

Supercharging the 6.4L reliably would require forged internals, new fuel rails, new cam, exhaust likely, valve rework, etc. This has been discussed numerous times on the forums. The $15k price gap between a scat and a hellcat would become quickly approached if you were to SC a 392 reliably.

Without a warranty.

Buying a hellcat? You get all of the above mentioned design, with a warranty, designed by MOPAR. Not to say there is anything wrong with rebuilding a 6.4 and making it FI, but buying a hellcat is certainly the preferred route if you have ability to purchase one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nope. The cost to do a build correctly will be closer to $15k. Now there's the rest of the "stuff" to get it to HC specs.

You'll be very close to the HC price too.
Hah didn't see you typed this. Yep exactly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What?

Supercharging the 6.4L reliably would require forged internals, new fuel rails, new cam, exhaust likely, valve rework, etc. This has been discussed numerous times on the forums. The $15k price gap between a scat and a hellcat would become quickly approached if you were to SC a 392 reliably.

Without a warranty.

Buying a hellcat? You get all of the above mentioned design, with a warranty, designed by MOPAR. Not to say there is anything wrong with rebuilding a 6.4 and making it FI, but buying a hellcat is certainly the preferred route if you have ability to purchase one.
I've already looked into it plenty. It's still better to go with the 6.4 if you plan to upgrade. Not everyone wants to that's fine get a hellcat but done right. You'll beat any hellcat easy. Hell the duel turbo exaust from hellion puts out over 900hp. I've seen a few cases of people upgrading the scat and doing wonders. Look up the article on Jim hayes scat pack. Scat pack beats hellcats with power to spare. He was ballsy keeping it pretty much stock and yet it beats hellcats and he drives it daily. I dont see you getting a hellcat that cheap. My 16 was 33k cheapest I've found a 16 hellcat is 48k and that's before taxes 3360$ . You can do big things with that extra 18k and be faster then a hellcat. So still in my opinion it's worth running the risk especially when you can get much more bang for your buck IF DONE RIGHT.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Reality check. One won't get HC performance or better, and reliability, with $18k into a SP.

There more to it than just the motor.

Reactions: AFZ

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's fine and all but you're wrong. Ok here's another look up all girls garage they do the twin turbo putting over 900 horse on it. Yes there is alot to go into it but you're saving in the end and definitely better then hc performance. Before you snap back watch what I'm telling you to. You'll learn something. You own a hellcat dont you?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've already looked into it plenty. It's still better to go with the 6.4 if you plan to upgrade. Not everyone wants to that's fine get a hellcat but done right. You'll beat any hellcat easy. Hell the duel turbo exaust from hellion puts out over 900hp. I've seen a few cases of people upgrading the scat and doing wonders. Look up the article on Jim hayes scat pack. Scat pack beats hellcats with power to spare. He was ballsy keeping it pretty much stock and yet it beats hellcats and he drives it daily. I dont see you getting a hellcat that cheap. My 16 was 33k cheapest I've found a 16 hellcat is 48k and that's before taxes 3360$ . You can do big things with that extra 18k and be faster then a hellcat. So still in my opinion it's worth running the risk especially when you can get much more bang for your buck IF DONE RIGHT.
Meh...

That $18k evaporates quick in a quest for 800whp, especially if you are outsourcing labor and paying Mopar Taxes.

You can have $10k into a built long block and still need a PA, Fuel System, Powertrain, Suspension and Brakes to match a Hellcat. None of that is cheap.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'd love to see a $3k On3 Performance kit and $900 for rods and pistons. But the aftermarket just isn't there. You call out Hellion, that's a what, $9k "tunner" kit for the 6.1?

So at the end of the day, yes, it's much easier, and cheaper to just buy a Hellcat, slap on a pulley, canned tune and go pound payment at $800/m.

When you go to sell in a year or two all those mods in a SCAT are gone but the Hellcat will be a Hellcat.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's fine and all but you're wrong. Ok here's another look up all girls garage they do the twin turbo putting over 900 horse on it. Yes there is alot to go into it but you're saving in the end and definitely better then hc performance. Before you snap back watch what I'm telling you to. You'll learn something. You own a hellcat dont you?
Post up the mod list and receipts and I may believe you.

I own a SCAT and a built Cobra. You are underestimating all the "hidden costs". Have you built a 800whp SCAT? Havr you built a 800whp anything?

Example "Needs Rods and Pistons, that isn't just $1,800 for rods and pistons. You need an entire rebuild kit including cam, lifters, headgaskets, seals, bearings, head studs / bolts, etc. Machine work adds up too if you go oversized pistons and want a clean block to build off.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts