Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone started with a SRT8 or Scat Pack and decided maybe the fuel cost or maintenance was too much and decided to "downgrade" to a R/T? Many many stories about trading up for more power, but just curious if anyone has decided the 6.1 or 6.4 was a bit much and went in the other direction the second time around?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Really only cost difference worth counting is unitial buy in.... I've averaged almost 22 mpg combined over all my 392 Challengers running the same town/country trails of mixed driving. Almost 40k miles counting all three of those Challengers Other maintenance is the same as well...or not enough difference to matter. imo

You're almost always gonna be happier with the power....

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
I did, well I started out with a 5.7 back in 2010, 6 months later I upgraded to a 6.1, stayed there for several years and in 2014 I bought a 2012 6.4, and down graded to a 5.7 a year later in 2015, I have only owned 5.7s after that. I did it for several reasons, mostly while I loved the power of the 6.4, I don't crave or need it on a daily basis.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
If mileage is a concern, it would be more likely for the owner of a 6.1-powered SRT to trade down to a 5.7. The 6.1 gets the worst gas mileage- only 17-18 mpg. (premium) in mixed use driving and 19-20 mpg. on the highway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did, well I started out with a 5.7 back in 2010, 6 months later I upgraded to a 6.1, stayed there for several years and in 2014 I bought a 2012 6.4, and down graded to a 5.7 a year later in 2015, I have only owned 5.7s after that. I did it for several reasons, mostly while I loved the power of the 6.4, I don't crave or need it on a daily basis.
Helluva sig line there! Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a 5.7, if the car has the options you want. I have a HCat and a V6 and I really like my V6. All the MOPAR engine options are good engines.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yes, I did to save money for going back to school full time and a 3rd baby due in a few weeks. I had a Scat Pack Shaker. The new 5.7s sound great and in day to day driving, you won't notice the difference since they have so much torque. Yes I can tell it doesn't pull as hard as my 392 did but it's close enough for daily use. Plus, I didn't want to compromise my luxury options such as vented seats and driver's convenience group etc. I suggest you get a STP (Super Track Pak) car if you so go that route.

Here's a thread on my current car: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f322/my-18-r-t-plus-upgrades-mods-651570/#post8275194

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat Widebody
63 Posts
I went from a 2015 Loaded Scat Pack to a 2018 WideBody HC. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I think I would do a Scat Pack. I love the power and its night and day. But there are a few things to keep in mind. I daily drive the car and TBH its too much. Its not IF I'm breaking the law, its by how bad. Speeding isnt getting to 100, its how much faster this car gets to 130+ that's scary. I'm just being honest here, unless you have a fun daily and maybe a more dedicated track car, I actually believe there can be something as too much power for everyday use. There's always a faster car anyway so it doesnt matter, granted when I roll up on a 392 (Stock -> Stockish) its a LOT more fun :) . I will admit that the one thing I get is way more compliments on this car than my Scat, although a lot of people think its a Demon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I went from a 2010 Challenger SRT8 to a 2017 Challenger GT AWD. I do miss the power & sound of the 6.1L but the AWD got me thru 8K miles of snowy/icey conditions last year. Getting over 30mpg with the 3.6L has been a big plus seeing I have 44K miles on my GT is just over a year.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
My wife and I carpool to work. One week we drive her SXT Charger (V6), the next week we drive my Scat Pack Challenger. Every time I get into the Charger on Monday morning, I wish it was NEXT week, because then I'd be driving my Scat Pack!

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
My wife and I carpool to work. One week we drive her SXT Charger (V6), the next week we drive my Scat Pack Challenger. Every time I get into the Charger on Monday morning, I wish it was NEXT week, because then I'd be driving my Scat Pack!
Look on the bright side, all the days in the charger put zero miles on the Challenger.
Interesting reading all these posts, I very much enjoy driving my car but to be honest I also enjoy my pickup, if anyone is in the driveway blocking the Challenger in the garage, it may not go out for another week or more but doesn’t bother me at all. If I drive it all the time it would have been gone long ago as I’d tire of it.
When I hear my son fire up my last Mustang (now his) in the garage and it shakes the room above especially with the cam in it, that sounds like.
One day I’ll cam my Challenger but haven’t felt the urge yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went from a 2015 Loaded Scat Pack to a 2018 WideBody HC. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I think I would do a Scat Pack. I love the power and its night and day. But there are a few things to keep in mind. I daily drive the car and TBH its too much. Its not IF I'm breaking the law, its by how bad. Speeding isnt getting to 100, its how much faster this car gets to 130+ that's scary. I'm just being honest here, unless you have a fun daily and maybe a more dedicated track car, I actually believe there can be something as too much power for everyday use. There's always a faster car anyway so it doesnt matter, granted when I roll up on a 392 (Stock -> Stockish) its a LOT more fun :) . I will admit that the one thing I get is way more compliments on this car than my Scat, although a lot of people think its a Demon.
Thanks for the info. I think there is a tipping point with most people where "enough" is well...enough. I'm coming over from the off-road world where modification, lifts, tires, armor, diff lockers, etc. are kind of the equivalent to the HP race we're currently seeing with muscle cars. I think there's kind of a sweet spot and for me it seems like an non-tuned 6.4 is right about where I want to be. The 5.7 seems more practical and likely a very good all around DD, but I know myself and I think I personally would be itching for the 6.4 after a short time with the 5.7.

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
Everyone has different needs, I was looking for a yellow R/T Classic six speed and would have also saved $12K in the process but none within three states was available. A 5.7 can get your license pulled in a heartbeat, my 6.4 is not needed but to get yellow, I had to pay a whole lot more.
Never bury yourself (anyone reading this) in debt over a car, many members here bought one and then something unforeseen comes up an bam it’s gone.
I’d still take a 5.7 R/T and be very satisfied and proud of it.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Everyone has different needs, I was looking for a yellow R/T Classic six speed and would have also saved $12K in the process but none within three states was available. A 5.7 can get your license pulled in a heartbeat, my 6.4 is not needed but to get yellow, I had to pay a whole lot more.
Never bury yourself (anyone reading this) in debt over a car, many members here bought one and then something unforeseen comes up an bam it’s gone.
I’d still take a 5.7 R/T and be very satisfied and proud of it.

Yep, I've said this numerous times. If my '10 "DY" R/TC wouldn't have gotten flood totaled, I would still be HAPPILY driving it. After the settlement, I ordered a Scat Pack, and yes, it's a totally different car in many ways, but that R/TC was one fine ride IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yep, I've said this numerous times. If my '10 "DY" R/TC wouldn't have gotten flood totaled, I would still be HAPPILY driving it. After the settlement, I ordered a Scat Pack, and yes, it's a totally different car in many ways, but that R/TC was one fine ride IMO.
Man that car was really cool looking. As I've said before, of all my Challengers (5.7s & 392s) my '13 HO R/T Plus 5.7L was my favorite. Wish I'd never traded it for my first Scat Pack.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think i could do it, i always want more not less, but some situations are unique, so there is no rule that says you can't or you shouldn't do it. Whatever makes you happy should be your end goal. I can tell you, if i had to do it again, i think i will go with a Charger Hellcat, i have 3 little ones, and while they fit in the rear seat, a 4 door car would have been more ideal now that i've to live with the Challenger, so that's my situation. They're not teenagers yet, so they fit without a lot of drama, and while i have a crew cab truck, i really love to drive the Challenger on weekends, and the wife and the kids love it too, Do i really need all 485 horses ? Prob no, but since i have them in there, they're staying in the stable for now, and adding 222 more is an actual goal for the future :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts