Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new here but been stalking this forum for months now. Im itching for a Challenger this spring but not sure about some options...Im about 99% sure I cant buy a R/T even though I see many that look awesome but Im afraid 6 months later Ill be asking myself why I didnt just get the 6.4... anyway has anyone here that owns a 6.4 challenger have any regrets about the transmission they have? wish youd got a manual instead of auto or vise versa?? I really want a manual (I think) but Im wondering if shifting will "get old" or Ill leave it in the garage more often because I dont really feel like manually shifting. Ive heard Dodge doesnt offer any warranty on the clutch or transmission on the manual but it also doesnt have the engine management for gas milage, is this true?? Any input on the tranny choice reasons, experiences, pro or cons or regrets would be awesome! Thanks for responses!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
6M and no regrets. I have the auto in my touring car: I can hardly feel the shift transitions, accelerates strongly and smoothly through the gears like a jet on takeoff, cruises quietly for hours and makes traveling easy and carefree for the whole family. The Challenger is my sports car: I put it on like a pair of my favorite tennis shoes, wear it with a handful of stick and footful of throttle. I blitz through the gears when I want, run the 3-4 cat launch onto the highway, and get a rush of adrenalin every time I feel the short runners kick in. If an auto was a good idea on a sports vehicle I'd have it on my Harley (no can do). Shifting is part of the sport.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Hello, new here but been stalking this forum for months now. Im itching for a Challenger this spring but not sure about some options...Im about 99% sure I cant buy a R/T even though I see many that look awesome but Im afraid 6 months later Ill be asking myself why I didnt just get the 6.4... anyway has anyone here that owns a 6.4 challenger have any regrets about the transmission they have? wish youd got a manual instead of auto or vise versa?? I really want a manual (I think) but Im wondering if shifting will "get old" or Ill leave it in the garage more often because I dont really feel like manually shifting. Ive heard Dodge doesnt offer any warranty on the clutch or transmission on the manual but it also doesnt have the engine management for gas milage, is this true?? Any input on the tranny choice reasons, experiences, pro or cons or regrets would be awesome! Thanks for responses!!!
The 5-speed has been a great performer on the 392. The 8-4 cylinder deactivation for fuel is on the auto only. Even so, the 6-speed manual can easily get better MPG due to its gearing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Its personal preference and depends on how you plan on using the car, I have no regrets on my 6M because its not my everyday driver, I don't plan on racing it at the track every weekend and for me wanted the 6M all my other vehicles are auto. In traffic it can be a pain. I also looked at service side of things and did not want to bother with any issues that could come along involving an AUTO trans. Not a big fan of the MSD systems either.

In most cases the clutch/components is covered under 12/12 (this seems to be a problem for some getting it covered) and the transmission under the Power-train warranty so I don't worry to much about this.

As said before I love having the "hands on" approach when driving mine with the 6M, also took it on a 600 mile run and averaged 23.5mpg. That's driving at 79mph avg.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ain't nothing like banging gears in a fast car bro

Reactions: mig and RoostKing

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
No

I have a 6 speed that I use as a daily driver. 40 percent of my ride into work is stop n' go, bumper to bumper traffic. Rest is freeway. I don't mind having to shift....In fact I like it. I really believe that automatic transmissions make the driver a "voting member" of the cars control.

I like rowing through gears. I like using the clutch. These cars were designed to be fun. That is their purpose. 6 speeds are fun. If you want a curvy track car, get a 6 speed. If you are a serious drag racer, DON"T get one.

You can't row through the gears as fast as the auto tranny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theses were the kind of responses I was hoping for! Im sure the dealer wouldn't mention the 12/12 warranty on clutch components, so thats 12 months 12,000 miles Im guessing??

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The 5-speed has been a great performer on the 392. The 8-4 cylinder deactivation for fuel is on the auto only. Even so, the 6-speed manual can easily get better MPG due to its gearing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
You actually get worse mileage with the stick cause it's so fun to drive with a tall diff you almost can't resist doing moon shots at every light and fish tailing through second...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Theses were the kind of responses I was hoping for! Im sure the dealer wouldn't mention the 12/12 warranty on clutch components, so thats 12 months 12,000 miles Im guessing??
BINGO

We have done some at our dealer under the 12/12 unless its obvious its abuse.
Anyway after 12/12 it's on you but having the 6M is just too FUN! IMO

Also remember you will get a lot of different answers on the warranty part, it's like most things ask around till you get the answer you are looking for.

Good Luck and either way get what you want and ENJOY!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Slow dudes love the 6 speed, I choose to be the one to the finish first. ;)
Lazy dudes love the auto because it requires no skill! And I choose to be the one that never has to worry about limp mode! Haha just kidding man I know autos are great for 1/4 mile. At Street Legal Drags at S.I.R. I almost always have a higher trap speed than the automatic 5.7L guys, although usually a slower E.T. From my bit of experience at the track I have found that if you're on your game, launch right and nail every shift you can run with a similar auto in the 1/4 mile but it's tough. Wouldn't have it any other way though!

Anyway, I hate wheel hop but otherwise I still love the 6 speed and don't regret buying it. My car is also a daily driver and when I'm driving around town I don't even notice I'm shifting most of the time, so it's not really annoying once you're used to it. If I bought another one it would likely have another 6 speed.

Yes I know my car is an R/T not an SRT but we have the same transmission choices so I figured I'd comment.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Listen carefully! If this will be your daily driver and you sometimes get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic , get the automatic. If you have a daily driver and this will be your weekend toy , go with the 6-sp manual. They are so much more fun even if you won't beat a auto at the start. Your smart to think about this before you pull the trigger. I'm lucky enough to daily drive a 13 Camaro V6 Auto fully loaded including navigation and have a 13 SRT8 core 6-sp manual for fun. To have regrets is hard to live with.

·
Registered
958 Posts
didn't own an SRT but I did own an 010 RT w/ 6spd.

It got old shifting and I wasn't driving it so I traded it in. Note that I do own an original 72 Charger 440 4 spd but that's my toy for when I feel like rowing.

Most of the replies are in the go go 6spd and that's fine for some but if you really plan to daily drive it and there's much stop and go it'll get old unless you are just a die hard.

You also need to think the track piece thru. I took mine to both the 1/4 mile and road courses and it had no advantage what so ever as far as competiton on either type track.

6spd: nostalgia yes, fun yes, DD no, competitive generally no.

Either way I hope you enjoy what you buy.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Not for me...

didn't own an SRT but I did own an 010 RT w/ 6spd.

It got old shifting and I wasn't driving it so I traded it in. Note that I do own an original 72 Charger 440 4 spd but that's my toy for when I feel like rowing.

Most of the replies are in the go go 6spd and that's fine for some but if you really plan to daily drive it and there's much stop and go it'll get old unless you are just a die hard.

You also need to think the track piece thru. I took mine to both the 1/4 mile and road courses and it had no advantage what so ever as far as competiton on either type track.

6spd: nostalgia yes, fun yes, DD no, competitive generally no.

Either way I hope you enjoy what you buy.
....My leg is strong. But even if it wasn't, this clutch is EASY. I love shifting. Can't get enough. It rarely snows here in Virginia Beach. I will daily drive this SRT until the motor/clutch need a rebuild. That will be my excuse to build a stroker motor. I keep the car garaged at night. I keep it clean. I didn't buy this car to look at (although I constantly stare at it). If the weather is very BAD, I drive my wife's car (rarely).

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
.this clutch is EASY. .
Exactly. Today's manual trans cars with hydraulic clutches are very smooth and easy in their operation. The whole "it's hard driving in traffic" thing isn't really a valid excuse anymore in my opinion.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wish I wish sometimes, I got the stick, but then again, when my left knee acts up, I don't! Auto was a good compromise since I just drive it in AutoStick mode on the streets anyway, and just put it in Full Auto mode on the highway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I did not mention I already have a daily driver so my thoughts are this will be a Fri night cruise or Sunday driver. This car will see no drag strips or tracks but i wouldnt mind red light racing some punk kid once in a while. I did drive a 6 speed 2010 SRT Challenger while my other car was being serviced for an idea and it was a blast! I can drive a stick, just trying to get opinions. Is the wheel hop a problem on both the Auto and the manual or is one less than the other??

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Wheel hop is common on 6 speeds, very rare on autos (my friend's automatic Magnum R/T gets some wheel hop, but he has a bad cradle bushing). With bushing and suspension upgrades wheel hop can be pretty much eliminated on 6 speed cars. If you're never going to a drag strip you probably won't encounter hop enough to really worry about it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I just got my 6-spd R/T three weeks ago, and it's my daily driver as well as my sports car. Okay, I'm rare & lucky, as my office is less than four miles from my house. Still, my thinking is "why buy a hot car like the Challenger and get the auto trans----unless you're a drag racer?"

I took my family of four on a road trip around the holidays, and coming back home I got stuck in about a three-mile-long backup with stop & go the whole time. Didn't phase me a bit. Actually made the ordeal more fun. Yeah, fun!

I decided when I could finally acquire one of these beauties that I wanted to not only enjoy the ride but to be fully engaged in actively DRIVING---for me, that means a manual trans. I can't imagine having this hot ride with anything but a manual, especially since I can also control & enjoy the beautiful exhaust note of my Magnaflows the whole time as I row through gears. Sure, you can select gears with the Auto, but it's not quite the same. The 6-spd is PERFECT.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts