Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this would probably best be posted in the interior discussion forums, but since noone there will respond to my thread, and most of those guys have 2010's and earlier I figured I would post here.

So far trying to use my iPhone 4 with the system in my 2011 IE 392 SRT has been a nightmare. I've got the 430N RHB radio. Here is what works:

• Using the phone over Bluetooth
Here is what is borked:

• Streaming audio over Bluetooth - strictly speaking some music does stream, and does come through the speakers. Only its stuttering and heavily distorted.
  • Playing music by connecting the iPhone cable to the USB - now if I perform JUST the right sequence of voodoo (turn off Bluetooth, connect the cable, push the magic button sequence, etc) it will randomly work about 3/10 times. Most off the time I just get a message aftera few minutes "Error Occurred." Even when it does work, the audio has some crackling and can be slightly distorted at times (but not as bad as with the Streaming audio over Bluetooth).
Is there just something wrong with my radio, or is the new 430N just completely borked for everyone when using it with an iPhone4? I've seen threads about firmware updates to fix issues with the iPhone4, but they are all for older versions of the radio not the RHB. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried to use Ipod touch to put music on hard drive. I didn't have any luck. Bluetooth streaming does work though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2011 Jeep GC with the same radio. I just used an old nano on the USB and use the iPhone4 for bluetooth phone calls. Wish it worked like my F150, both work like a charm (bluetooth phone and streaming).

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I am having the same problems. Not real happy about this.

I know this would probably best be posted in the interior discussion forums, but since noone there will respond to my thread, and most of those guys have 2010's and earlier I figured I would post here.

So far trying to use my iPhone 4 with the system in my 2011 IE 392 SRT has been a nightmare. I've got the 430N RHB radio. Here is what works:

Here is what is borked:

• Streaming audio over Bluetooth - strictly speaking some music does stream, and does come through the speakers. Only its stuttering and heavily distorted.
  • Playing music by connecting the iPhone cable to the USB - now if I perform JUST the right sequence of voodoo (turn off Bluetooth, connect the cable, push the magic button sequence, etc) it will randomly work about 3/10 times. Most off the time I just get a message aftera few minutes "Error Occurred." Even when it does work, the audio has some crackling and can be slightly distorted at times (but not as bad as with the Streaming audio over Bluetooth).
Is there just something wrong with my radio, or is the new 430N just completely borked for everyone when using it with an iPhone4? I've seen threads about firmware updates to fix issues with the iPhone4, but they are all for older versions of the radio not the RHB. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am having the same problems. Not real happy about this.
So should we consider this a warranty issue and start raising heck with the dealership/Dodge?

·
Registered
402 Posts
So should we consider this a warranty issue and start raising heck with the dealership/Dodge?
I'm fairly surprised no one's chimed in, what with all the 392's in members hands so far. I'd call it a warranty issue. Though, I imagine you'll get quite the runaround for this.

Also, just a thought, might check the jeep forums as well (they got the 430n RHB as well I believe).

·
Premium Member
479 Posts

Here is what is borked:

I'm having the same issues you are, this 430N is complete crap, I miss the RER that was in my Charger :disgust:

It's ridiculous to me that Chrysler could use a radio that is doesn't work with one of the most popular smart phones on the market...

Most likely it can be fixed via firmware upgrade to the 430N....

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
When I found out that a flash drive works in the usb port, I decided to go buy a 16gb drive for $25 and load it up with music. It stays plugged in all of the time. I can select music using the radio or voice command. I can select by playlist, artist, album, or title.
It just made no sense to plug and unplug a player all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been using AUX connection for playing my music from my iPhone, and it works OK.
Haven't tried USB yet.
Haven't had the car long enough to try everything.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You won't be able to transfer the music from the ipod to the stereo, you'll have to copy the music to a memory stick then put that in the usb port to copy to the radio. Don't know how to stream bluetooth so can't offer any advice there...plus i have a 2010 so it may not have that feature.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So far my iphone/ipod functionality has been working well, but I have the 730N (RHR). Its only been a couple weeks but I'll report if I see problem.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Spoke to Dodge support today and have some (hopefully) good news for 430N owners, it looks like Chrysler has already sent out a batch of upgrade CDs for the unit that is specifically for the iPhone/iPod playback issues that people are having, I confirmed with the CS Rep twice that this was an update different than the Travel Link update and she confirmed that it is indeed separate.

With any luck the update will be arriving to owners mid-May and hopefully some kind soul will upload it for the rest of us...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I just leave my iPod connected in the console and use the iPhone as a phone.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got the same answer from Dodge Customer Service - there is an update, that is different from the RHB update that adds Sirius Travel link - supposed to address bluetooth functionality in general. They would not commit to a date when I asked...

The real trick is going to be getting it applied - since UConnect is external to the RHB unit, I do not believe it is something we will be able to apply as end users.

·
Registered
283 Posts
luma - that is not my understanding - the update on CD is different than the UConnect update for those that have the RHB 430N.

* CD update - available on CD now, can be installed by customer. Provides updates to the 430N software: Sirius Travel Link, radio OS updates, map updates for Garmin nav

* UConnect update - not available yet, per Dodge customer service. Installation method unknown. Provides updates to bluetooth for iPhone 4 and others to address known connectivity issues.

·
Registered
574 Posts
* UConnect update - not available yet, per Dodge customer service. Installation method unknown. Provides updates to bluetooth for iPhone 4 and others to address known connectivity issues.
Hmm,

I have an 09 challenger but my ipod hook up acts the same, might play for a second or two, stutters then the radio says comm error

Ive looked online and to the best of my knowledge the ipod hookup in the center console connects to the uconnect module via cable for the wired ipod connection (please correct me if im wrong) and id assume for bluetooth streaming it would also connect to the uconnect module since its the bluetooth module for the phone

if this is all true then its safe to say the uconnect module controls the ipod... which judging by the above quote it does and you already knew this..

I guess im just chiming in to say i hope they release a uconnect update to 09s also...

·
Registered
3 Posts
How would you update the stock radio? Or can you? I just got my car, and the 430N is going to be installed once the part is at the dealer.

BLUETOOTH - So choppy its barely audible. If you lock the phone it gets better, and some of the choppy-ness goes away but the quality is so bad its not worth it.

PLUGGING IT VIA USB - A lot better, but if you turn the volume up or go above 60 mph it seems to start cracking.

AUX - Basically works perfectly from what I can tell. But annoying if you have bluetooth pairing enabled, because when you turn on the car the phone switches from AUX to bluetooth and you have to manually set it to AUX.

I would just like Bluetooth to work as intended. Works fine in my friends corolla with a modded sony media unit, why not my BRAND NEW Challenger? Smh.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts