Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie here....taking delivery next week.
Curious... anything I should know about or be aware of pertaining to this vehicle??

Also, being a Vette guy, I know a bra is essential to avoid a sandblasted front end. Same apply to Challenger??

Any other "must haves"??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Be aware of the fitment of the leather seats.. apparently some guys are reporting very loose fit. That, and stained/dirty white leather that won't clean up.

Mike

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Also with the seats there's been reports that it's really easy to transfer jean dye to the seats. So either pick it up in non-new jeans or something else until you can treat the leather properly.

Me and a few other people are looking into getting seat covers to protect the white seats.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also with the seats there's been reports that it's really easy to transfer jean dye to the seats. So either pick it up in non-new jeans or something else until you can treat the leather properly.

Me and a few other people are looking into getting seat covers to protect the white seats.

Good luck and enjoy!

Can you keep in the loop with getting the seat covers upgrayedd? That would be greatly appreciated, as because I don't have my IE yet, but I know it will be a problem.

Also can someone tell me what would be the way to ensure a proper break in with this car?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Haha Robo.
Don't think you'll find a bra for this car yet. And unless you have OCD or are trying to keep this thing museum worthy, you really don't need it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be aware of the fitment of the leather seats.. apparently some guys are reporting very loose fit. That, and stained/dirty white leather that won't clean up.

Mike
Will do. Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you keep in the loop with getting the seat covers upgrayedd? That would be greatly appreciated, as because I don't have my IE yet, but I know it will be a problem.

Also can someone tell me what would be the way to ensure a proper break in with this car?
Everyone has their own opinion on new engine break-in, but from the experts I've talked to over the years & my own personal experience, here's the way I do it....

1. Always bring engine to FULL operating temperature before high revs.
2. Drive the car easy for the first 10 miles or so, varying the rpm's from 2,000 - 5,000.
3. Then, start bringing the engine up to maximum rpm's and letting the engine bring the revs back down by coasting in gear (very important to create vacuum & cause opposing pressure on piston rings)
4. Repeat several times in order to create maximum heat in the cylinders.
5. Drive around at lower RPM's for several more miles, remembering to vary the speed of the engine every couple of miles.
6. Repeat number 3, 4 and 5.
7. Park car and let the engine cool down overnight.
8. Repeat all the above 2 more times.

Your engine is now fully broken in correctly and can be driven hard from here on.

Periodically, hard engine braking is necessary to get the cylinders as hot as possible and forcing the rings against the walls for maintaining proper wall smothness.

Every builder has their own specific method of breakin, and you can go back and forth forever in this debate, but it is not a complicated topic. Porsche suggests that the engines need to make about 6 million revolutions before it is broken in, and I maintain that after only a hundred thousand or less revolutions, what is going to break or break in, has already done so.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks! and please lemme know if you come up with the seat covers.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Also don't forget bedding your brakes, just as important!
check this link...
Instructions for bedding in your brakes

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good call on the brakes. If I don't hear back via email by Tues from the three places I emailed I'll start making phone calls instead.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good call on the brakes. If I don't hear back via email by Tues from the three places I emailed I'll start making phone calls instead.
Are you attempting to get an IE?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You could opt for the 3M treatment on the front end instead of looking for a bra. I don't have one and it haven't really had any chips in the paint. Just bugs.

Break in? As others have said. Try not to bounce it off the rev limiter for the first 500. Maybe get the first oil change out of the way at 3500 or 4000 and let the dealer do it. Apparently there's some 400lb gorilla that puts on the oil filter at the factory.

When you take delivery, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Take a look at the rocker panels under the doors (look for cracks in the plastic). Have them note the seat fitment if it doesn't look right. Look at the exhaust tips on how it matches up with the rear fascia. Look to see if the push button start is installed. The button could be in the glove box. Same with the iPod connector if it's still used in the system ( It plugs into the center console).

Your not going to get an normal owners manual. It's a DVD. You can play it on your deck as long as your not moving.

Read the "Tip and Tricks" section of Challenger talk. Lots of great info there.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Haha Robo.
Don't think you'll find a bra for this car yet. And unless you have OCD or are trying to keep this thing museum worthy, you really don't need it.
Had my 09 for just over two years and only had 2k mile on her. The dealer game me a few oil changes and the salesman said...see u in three years for ur first oil change...:)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could opt for the 3M treatment on the front end instead of looking for a bra. I don't have one and it haven't really had any chips in the paint. Just bugs.

Break in? As others have said. Try not to bounce it off the rev limiter for the first 500. Maybe get the first oil change out of the way at 3500 or 4000 and let the dealer do it. Apparently there's some 400lb gorilla that puts on the oil filter at the factory.

When you take delivery, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Take a look at the rocker panels under the doors (look for cracks in the plastic). Have them note the seat fitment if it doesn't look right. Look at the exhaust tips on how it matches up with the rear fascia. Look to see if the push button start is installed. The button could be in the glove box. Same with the iPod connector if it's still used in the system ( It plugs into the center console).

Your not going to get an normal owners manual. It's a DVD. You can play it on your deck as long as your not moving.

Read the "Tip and Tricks" section of Challenger talk. Lots of great info there.
Thanks for the heads up!

Got a few questions...
What's up with the rocker panels? Cracks...on a new car?
Exhaust tips...do you mean alignment?
And when you say to be sure the push-button start is "installed"...what exactly does installation involve?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Will do. I'm getting some I just don't know which ones yet. I'll either get Iggee or Caltrend covers.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all that the installation of the push to start button entails is to simply push it into the ignition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts