Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 week old 2018 Challenger Scatpack with the 8.4 Uconnect w/ Nav and the Alpine sound system. Whenever I plug in my iPhone to listen to music, it bricks the whole radio and unconnect system for days. All buttons on the screen and the steering wheel become unresponsive, the radio has no sound, and volume is stuck on 20 for everything. Navigation still works though, but no sound. Hard and soft resets of unconnect don’t fix it. After a few days the radio and the buttons will magically work again.

I took it to the dealer, and they said there’s nothing they can do. I have to wait on a software update, but they don’t know if/when it’ll come.

Did I just buy a $50k car that can’t play music? Is there anything I can do so I can listen to my Spotify playlists without bricking uconnect?

·
Registered
100 Posts
When you say "plug in" your iPhone do you mean trying to pair it via bluetooth or actually physically plugging it in?

I helped a guy yesterday get his iphone 8 paired up to his new scat pack. It took several tries with different settings on the phone but we got it working within 15 minutes and he could call / voice text and listen to music with no issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say "plug in" your iPhone do you mean trying to pair it via bluetooth or actually physically plugging it in?

I helped a guy yesterday get his iphone 8 paired up to his new scat pack. It took several tries with different settings on the phone but we got it working within 15 minutes and he could call / voice text and listen to music with no issues.
Plug it in via USB. Pairing via Bluetooth only gives me access to calling, not to Spotify unfortunately. Bluetooth also breaks the radio/controls/sound.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, the guy i helped had his itunes library downloaded onto his phone and wasn't streaming...

But, your reply did make me curious so I found this after a quick search, maybe can help...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Spotify-won-t-stream-via-bluetooth/m-p/325968#M14046

The direct link is here: https://www.ezproductreview.com/make-any-car-bluetooth-compatible

Best of luck...
Thanks for the suggestion. Did he also have the issue that connecting his phone in any way would break all sound related buttons for a few days afterwards, even if not trying to play music?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Test another phone

Come to the dark side... My samsung phones all play perfectly through the 8.4A in my wife's grand cherokee, and the 8.4AN in my challenger.
I would also say maybe not try an android but definitely try another phone. Like an 8 or 7 Iphone. The x is totally different hardware and just came out. Even though it may run 11.x testing with another phone that runs 11.x that is not a Iphone X will tell you if your phone is the cause of the issue or if its actually something with the radio.
I troubleshoot computers everyday and once in a while compatibility issues do pop up, most of the time though its when you use the latest version of something. Using the older items will tell you if its something in the phone, IOS, or radio.
My 17 radio has worked with IOS 11 from the first beta to the latest 11.2, however its a 6+ so is old enough not to have issues that require too much troubleshooting. Plus my wife has an Android so I have been known to confiscate her phone when testing the carplay/AA on it when I first got it.
The other thing to know is if you have the latest version of the firmware for the radio just because its an 18 does not mean it came from the factory with the latest firmware. You should ask the dealer what the latest version is and then compare it to the one on the radio. You can find the version by holding the front defroster button and the driver side heat up/down buttons for about 5-7 seconds. This will also let you know if the the dealer is actually doing anything if the version you have is the version they told you was the latest.
I am not sure for the 18's but the latest version for the 17's is 16.11 that you can download.

Ron

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,522 Posts
Is it me or does it seem like Apple eventually releases an OS version that makes it useless with a car radio/feature or some other tech that would originally work with?

·
Registered
931 Posts
My 7+ works great on my 2017. Has all updates. Sometimes my Pandora won’t load but I think that’s more of an iPhone problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts