Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked on Discount Tire website expecting to see at least a medium size of choices, but it was really very limited. 18" size...a whopping 2 choices?! 20" size, there was a bit more, but not exactly a dizzying array of possibilities.

Is there a better place to look at hardware suitable for LX cars or are available choices just very sparing for this car? Never heard anyone complain about it in the past, so it's got to be where I'm looking, right? I'd really like to stick with 18" wheels, but that's seemingly like barking up the wrong tree as far as anything aftermarket, for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you go into Discount Tire and ask for help, they give you so many options, I think I had about 8-10 to choose from, when looking for staggered sizes. Plus, they call the distributor while you wait and find out if they have them in stock.

Hope you find something great for your beautiful car!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I think it comes from the 5x115 lug pattern. The closest most aftermarket wheels seem to come in is 5x114.3 - those I was interested in were. So when you do a search for the factory size the options shrink considerably.
Here's a good catalog for the challenger: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/challenger-aftermarket-wheels-photo-thread-11088/! Plus you get to see the wheels mounted there.

Took me a while to find mine. Followed a fellow CT member's (shout-out to vanishRT) lead to avoid fitment surprises. I went there, by the way: http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/tires

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, all, for the suggestions and leads! :)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Element Wheels on line has a really good selection for the Challenger.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How's this for retro flavor?

Yeah, I know...the bolt circle is off, and the offset is not even close to correct for our car...and that's the problem!!! Why is there such a gulf between the modern car and authentic classic wheel designs? :(

Reactions: justkelvin

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Does anybody know if this wheel actually can fit on my car? Does it need a special tire?
09 2009 Dodge Challenger Wheel - Driveshaft & Axle - Action Crash, Dorman - PartsGeek
Nice find, although I would've liked them to put down more specs, but if they say it works on an '09 I'm gonna bet that it's for an SE (17") and that it should have the correct bolt pattern. Unfortunately, to know about fit for sure you'd have to contact them because our R/T's brakes might be a problem. Fyi, vanishRT had bought some Charger steelies in 17" and was unable to mount them because of a fit problem.

Randy, most people seem to get the Heritage ones (20") or Torque Thrusts and Cragars when they want a more retro style. I like those, but have you seen this thread? http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/deep-dish-slotted-mags-99248/
It should give you plenty of ideas if you want something different.

As far as tire, it's going to depend on the rim's width, which is not specified, but I would expect it to be 7", like the factory SE one. That width will determine what size tire you can use, as you probably know (manufacturers list acceptable width ranges), and along with the 17" diameter that's going to limit you a lot on choices. Not too many sporty tires in that size - I would know because it's what I have on mine. And if it's really 7" wide, I don't think you can fit any tire wider than 255 on them.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was a good topic, for sure! People tryin' out some neat stuff, there. :)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
The problem with retro is that it will be hard to find older styles that translate well into the 17"+ format because they get stretched beyond recognition. And then there's the problem of the offset. Modern cars push the wheels out to the edge of the fenders (high offset) so older wheel styles get flattened on top of all the stretching.

Then if you go with 17" expect an avalanche of protest based on the size of the car and its wheel wells (cut, no doubt in my mind, to accommodate the ghetto rims the factory knows will often end up there). This would only be exacerbated by the black steelies - and it's a purely visual, therefore personal, thing. Just don't plan on running for the ROTM... :lol:

Oh, and have you thought of having your rims polished with black pockets? Looks killer and you'll keep your tires along with better future rubber choices.

You tend to be more thoughtful and creative than most so as a fellow R/T base owner I'm looking forward to what you'll come up with! :yesnod:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I actually did have in mind as a fantasy that I would shade those little pocket contours on each spoke to a charcoal gray, one day... It will probably always be a fantasy, because then I think...that's 40 of those little patches I would have to do perfectly. I would probably die of old age before that ever got finished! :p

Funny you should mention the black steely. I have one of those on my car, right now (due to an unfortunate encounter with a curb, yielding one seriously chipped alloy wheel and likely a slightly bent control arm). So I am one-quarter into the dark side, I guess you could say. ;)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
The other problem with steelies is that I haven't seen Chrysler wheel caps for those yet. Just Chevy and Ford. :slant: And all black on such a wheel would look awful, I think. I personally love that old school look, but have no idea how it would work on a modern Challenger, because the police 18" wheels are so different.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
How's this for retro flavor?

Yeah, I know...the bolt circle is off, and the offset is not even close to correct for our car...and that's the problem!!! Why is there such a gulf between the modern car and authentic classic wheel designs? :(
Wow I think that would look sensational on a dark Challenger. Very different from the 3 or 4 designs that most have.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Here it is on a white one and in 20", and next to the original for comparison. Different for sure, and it shows well what I mean by stretched-out and flattened designs. Not bad, just very different.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Just go to centerline wheels if you like retro. All custom made and won't cost you a ton of money.
Some of the best looking challengers have 18 inch centerlines on this site.
You won't get too far with cheap chinese wheels from grab and go vendors

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, stretching that design (and many classic designs) to 20" doesn't make a lot of sense. I totally agree. That's fine with me...cuz I'm not looking for 20" wheels anyway (which is ironically part of the problem with me not finding that much in the way of options, but I digress). ;) If you can get close enough to the spirit of the design on 18", that's all I ask. Now if only more vendors could recognize that 18" threshold...

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Neat site, with those Centerline wheels! I wouldn't mind trying out this for rear wheels, but alas, that is a 15" wheel (and it isn't even intended for our era of cars as far as bolting-up). :(

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
The bottom line is that everything is possible, but for a price... and only you can decide what that is. I looked at Centerline's site because I've known that name forever, for example, and could find nothing that I liked in over 15" or my bolt pattern. Now they'll do custom jobs and so will Weld racing, Intro Wheels and others, but then I'd have looked at $500-600 a piece depending on who I went with. That Centerline wheel you like would look nothing like that once in 18" and with an acceptable offset (no deep dish), by the way and unfortunately.

Under $200 (maybe more?) a wheel it will likely be cast stuff made in China, no matter how it's branded.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts