Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following info just came to my attention...

Not CARB Certified. This JLT Performance Air/Oil Separator is not CARB certified at this time; therefore, it is not legal for use in California or other states adopting California emission standards. Not legal for use on pollution controlled motor vehicles; intended for off road use only.

The Moroso Air-Oil Separator includes a statement which reads, "Not Legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles".

It doesn't make any sense to me why these separators would not be legal and/or CARB approved.

Maybe one of the vendors would comment on this. Or maybe not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
I suspect the issue isn't that they increase emissions...it's the cost of testing. It can be quite high. And, you have to do it again when a new model year comes out. Even if they have made no changes. A Guy

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the issue isn't that they increase emissions...it's the cost of testing. It can be quite high. And, you have to do it again when a new model year comes out. Even if they have made no changes. A Guy
That's exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Build your own... Can't be that hard. Or, have it shipped to an out of state friend then to you.
I already have one. A Speedlogix Oil Catch Can. I had no problem getting it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you review the Aftermarket Parts Verification Table in Appendix G of the BAR Smog Check Manual, it states that an “Oil Separator/Filter - Crankcase Gas Filter” (i.e. catch can) is exempt from verification for a CARB EO number. Unfortunately, I doubt that many smog techs are aware of this exemption, and apparently most catch can manufacturers too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
Just because they don't have to verify an EO#, the EO# is what will make the modification of the PCV system legal. Without the EO#, the modification would still be deemed illegal. A Guy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just because they don't have to verify an EO#, the EO# is what will make the modification of the PCV system legal. Without the EO#, the modification would still be deemed illegal. A Guy
Did you look at the table? For emissions compliance, a catch can is in the same category as replacement hoses and aftermarket anti-theft devices, items which will never carry an EO number. Even the BAR recognizes that filtering oil out of the PCV system will have no detrimental affect on emissions.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
I did read it, and there is no wording in the smog laws that I am aware of that allow any modification of the PCV system, you are not allowed to modify the PCV system in any way. Never mind EO#, you are not supposed to modify the PCV system, whether it increases emissions or not.

I see what you are saying, but your pdf. says these parts do not require verification of EO#'s. That pdf may be meant to tell smog check providers that you do not have to fail a customer because these items are installed, but it doesn't say that. It says verification of EO# is not required. But if the smog check provider fails for modified PCV valve, it would likely be up to a referee station to make the distinction. I can't say that 100% a catch can is, or is not allowed. A catch can either by defect, or installation could introduce a leak, and that would be an issue. I'm no expert, but it has always been no modification to the PCV system. A Guy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Their table could certainly use some clarification as to whether the oil separator in question is part of the modern PCV system, or just one of the old breathers that pushed into the valve cover pre-EO. Possibly the BAR would be willing to clarify if catch cans are really exempt per Appendix G.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
I think most shops err on the side of failing, as the repercussions are severe, and the BAR/CARB does randomly take vehicles to test stations to confirm compliance. They can refer you to a referee station rather than take a chance. No doubt some shops give it a cursory visual check, do the OBD test, and done. A Guy

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Totally agree with "A Guy".
The way that Appendix G is written, it is required to have CARB exemption.
What doesn't make sense is, why doesn't a part that is required to have CARB approval required to be verified during Inspection?

·
Registered
178 Posts
No need to make a big deal out of this, just buy the part and install it, when inspection times comes, go back to stock or don't, up to you, if it doesn't pass smog, then you go back to stock and do the test again. all my cars have one, and i guess i'm lucky the techs think is just a factory part, never had a problem with them, and yes i'm aware of the law, hence the reason my factory hose is somewhere in my garage, in case i needed to go back to stock.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No need to make a big deal out of this, just buy the part and install it, when inspection times comes, go back to stock or don't, up to you, if it doesn't pass smog, then you go back to stock and do the test again. all my cars have one, and i guess i'm lucky the techs think is just a factory part, never had a problem with them, and yes i'm aware of the law, hence the reason my factory hose is somewhere in my garage, in case i needed to go back to stock.
I'm in a CARB adopted state but they never bother with stuff like that, CAI, and the like.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can't imagine living in a state where I have to worry about a simple air-oil separator on *my* car running afoul of big daddy government. That's just crazy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For what it’s worth, I contacted both the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regarding my prior reference to Appendix G of the BAR Smog Check Manual as validation for catch cans being legal for use without an EO number. The BAR was fairly useless, and just punted me over to the CARB for clarification of the exemption. The CARB’s response is printed below, although convincing your local smog tech could still be an issue.

-----------

RE: Oil Catch Can
ARB Helpline <[email protected]>
Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Hello Joel,

These devices do not require an EO from a Smog Check perspective as long as they remain a sealed system. The Smog Check exception referenced the original email is contained in the “Aftermarket Parts Verification Guidelines”.

Thank you.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
Yeah, they are politicians too.
as long as they remain a sealed system
If you add an item in the middle, is that still a sealed system? I think an expert would tell you no problem if you have a proper catch can, and good connections. As you say, it's the Russian roulette of your local smog check tech that would be the issue. A Guy

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, they are politicians too. If you add an item in the middle, is that still a sealed system? I think an expert would tell you no problem if you have a proper catch can, and good connections. As you say, it's the Russian roulette of your local smog check tech that would be the issue. A Guy
I was thinking the mention of a sealed system was possibly in reference to OEM separators. If they exist! I know during my research, I came across one for a Subaru and the company said they were in the process of getting CARB approval. It actually was a seal contained system which drained back to the crank case I believe. No need to empty a can.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Yeah, define “sealed”. They don’t even know what that means.
Why take a chance? Just take it off before hand.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, define “sealed”. They don’t even know what that means.
Why take a chance? Just take it off before hand.
Agreed, considering the ancient technology of a rubber hose shoved onto a nipple being a sealed system. It’s been on cars in pretty much the same form since the 60’s. Vacuum plus a spring-loaded plunger is about as low-tech as it comes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts