The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know that is a 2015+ 392 intake setup, but my question is about non-392 engines, the Pentastar included.

Do they also have the angled TB (toward air box) and exceptionally short intake tube with IAT in it?

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be clear, I like this design, I think it is much better than the 2011-2014 design, and leaps and bounds better than the 2010 and below design. I’m just wondering if it is on all 2015+ engines or just the 392s

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,703 Posts
5.7l intake tube is kinda like the old 6.1l, the TB is on the front of the manifold facing straight ahead, the connecting "pipe" has a 90 degree bend in it and flex on the air cleaner side. This is what we use to eliminate the silencer.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I thought you were asking about how the darn rubber part is tan.

Reactions: Blueboar

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5.7l intake tube is kinda like the old 6.1l, the TB is on the front of the manifold facing straight ahead, the connecting "pipe" has a 90 degree bend in it and flex on the air cleaner side. This is what we use to eliminate the silencer. View attachment 992898
okay, so that’s the same as what I have ...or had, finally found an aftermarket intake with a design I like - one that cuts down on the heat soak by relocating the IAT.

Well, from what I see in the datalogs, it still heat soaks the IAT like the stock setup (metal intake tube), but now I don’t have to make several WOT runs just to bring the IAT temps down closer to ambient. I can drive normally and it will come down on its own, albeit slowly. Or I can drive briskly and it will come down very quickly, all theway down to ambient (or just a degree or two above it).

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought you were asking about how the darn rubber part is tan.
LOL, no, I’m what the kids refer to as “woke” - I don’t see color anymore. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m not keen on the metal intake tube, but some compromises had to be made to get what I want.

the pics of the filter element and new IAT location were taken from the front of the car, laying on the ground, looking up beneath the drivers side headlight.

Auto part Vehicle Mid-size car Car Family car
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Rim
Auto part Engine Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
It's a 6.4L only tube. The V6 tube is part of the cover

A Guy

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
It's a 6.4L only tube. The V6 tube is part of the cover

A Guy
Yeah I just noticed that last night when I got home from the dealer. My wife bought herself a 2020 GT AWD in Frostbite

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
And you've had this since last night and no pictures??!!

A Guy

Reactions: grey_hemi

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s a picture for you:

That 1.50 degrees of ST KR in the Max slot represents the largest amount of ST KR observed during the monitoring session. A session which spanned 35 miles and 4 different WOT runs.

One
Point
Five

That’s it!!

The stock setup with this tune (93 canned, modified with 4-5K RPMs enriched by 1% & retarded 1 degree and 5-7K RPMs enriched by 1.5% & retarded by 1 degree) and gasoline was giving me ST KR spikes of 3 to 5 degrees of ST KR per WOT run.

The stock, heat-soaking, heat-regaining, IAT-non-reading right, air intake setup was sapping me of white of bit of power during WOT due to pulled timing.

That power is no longer being sapped, for the most part, so it’s now (mostly) all there for me at WOT...and it can be felt too!

And for those in the cheap seats, let me say again: I am NOT claiming my aftermarket air intake system has added performance to my 5.7 all of a sudden.

What I am saying is that this new intake system has helped my WOT power output by facilitating a more complete usage of what performance already existed in the engine.

Now if I can just find a replacement laptop to use in datalogging these runs, I’ll once again have visual references to illustrate what I’m talking about :cool:😇

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
It has the black top package, thank God no tank tread stripes on it. It does have paddle shifters, after trying them, now I want them for my R/T, may as well order the accessory buttons too and have the dealer install them. 7" radio no PP and no Uconnect, but it does have SXM for 1 year and I got the salesman to throw in the stainless Steel door Jamb trim. I am trying to get her to join the site now!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to the stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That one with the sound suppressor built into it is baffling, pun intended.

I mean, I understand the intended function of the baffle - to muffle the noises made by the engine under heavy/WOT throttle, but what is the criteria used to put one on an engine at build time?

Are they standard as part of certain trims, standard for base trims, or just luck of the draw...

I can’t imagine anyone actually preferring to have one over the non-muffled one, so who gets them...

The only build package I can think that might have reason to get one would be the cop Chargers.

They get whisper quiet exhaust that a Prius could drown out, so keeping extraneous noises to a minimum is obviously a consideration with the Pursuit trim. Yet mine didn’t come with one, and the local LEOs in my town who have Chargers don’t have those muffled intakes either.

Nevertheless, the intake’s IAT position, whether a muffled tube or not, is an issue when it comes to the heat soak dilemma IMHO.

But thankfully it’s is a dilemma which I no longer have to deal with. :cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I found that my 5.7 6 speed runs better with the stock intake. I think it is more than a sound suppressor. I had bought one without the "wart" to put a catch can on and immediately felt a reduction in crispness of throttle response .I switched back and forth a few times to make sure and their is no doubt in my mind that for what ever reason it runs better with the stock wart..intake temps dropped quicker after stopping too ...so it must flow better....maybe a 6 speed makes it more noticeable...I was able to put a catch can on with the stock intake using a Z bracket.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
Reactions: Frank Julian
1 - 20 of 31 Posts