Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is somewhat of a frequent question but I've gone through and read many posts and manufacturer websites and have not come to my conclusion yet.

I really want to install one to help protect my new 6.1 Hemi baby....
I know technology and design changes all the time so what is your opinion of the best quality catch can design in the market NOW?

I've seen some designs that mount on the fender that look like knuckle-busters to open up so ease of maintenance is definitely a factor. I did see one owner's post here that had a fender mount of some sort but was held to that mount by a large hand screw that looked like it could be unmounted and pulled up to service it.

Likely not the case, but it would be great to have one in gunmetal but the look comes after the performance for me on this.

·
Super Moderator
13,400 Posts
The quality of catch cans can vary greatly. Basically, stay away from the cheap ones that you find on E-Bay. I installed a Billet Technology catch can on my 6.1 2009 SRT, with the Z-bracket mount (for easy removal). It looks great (comes in different colors) and it works very efficiently. It gets about 2/3 full every 2,000 miles and eliminates almost all of the nasty combustion by-products from being re-burned by my engine. A highly recommended mod. Attached, is a photo of how it is mounted in my engine bay.

Note- For even easier draining, some catch cans have a lower drain valve that eliminates the need to unscrew the catch can. Personally, I find this unnecessary due to how much access room the Z-bracket provides).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My Moroso catch can has the lower valve that Cuda340 mentioned. Mine is mounted on the fender, and I added a hose to the nipple on the valve so I can drain it into a pan under my Shaker. Easy peasy... :grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
First, you can put a catch can anywhere. You just need to find or make a proper bracket. Second, I was very impressed with the Elite Engineering can I had on a Chevy Silverado of mine. It had a baffle system inside not just the wad of mesh and an hollow container like most others. It cost a bit more but I thought the construction and design were far better than the other two brands I've had.
Oil Catch Cans | Online Auto Parts Store | Aftermarket Auto Parts Distributors - Elite Engineering

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
Be aware that Billet Technology (BT) has a Lathe down now, and that's after just having another one down. They are WAY backed up on catch cans especially. That on top of their already lengthy lead time. Just sayin' you'll wait a while for it if you order one from them now.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,400 Posts
Be aware that Billet Technology (BT) has a Lathe down now, and that's after just having another one down. They are WAY backed up on catch cans especially. That on top of their already lengthy lead time. Just sayin' you'll wait a while for it if you order one from them now. A Guy

You can buy another catch can from Speedlogix, one of our Supporting Vendors, for $99.

Speedlogix

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Second, I was very impressed with the Elite Engineering can I had on a Chevy Silverado of mine. It had a baffle system inside not just the wad of mesh and an hollow container like most others. It cost a bit more but I thought the construction and design were far better than the other two brands I've had.
Oil Catch Cans | Online Auto Parts Store | Aftermarket Auto Parts Distributors - Elite Engineering

They do look like they make a nice product.

So, I must ask if you installed the same Elite version on your impressive list of Challenger's?

Also, does anyone here use one with dual exit ports?

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
You can buy a Billet Technology catch can from Speedlogix, one of our Supporting Vendors, for $99.

Speedlogix
Ahhh, but do they have stock? They do after all get them from BT. A Guy

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know that this is somewhat of a frequent question but I've gone through and read many posts and manufacturer websites and have not come to my conclusion yet.

I really want to install one to help protect my new 6.1 Hemi baby....
I know technology and design changes all the time so what is your opinion of the best quality catch can design in the market NOW?

I've seen some designs that mount on the fender that look like knuckle-busters to open up so ease of maintenance is definitely a factor. I did see one owner's post here that had a fender mount of some sort but was held to that mount by a large hand screw that looked like it could be unmounted and pulled up to service it.

Likely not the case, but it would be great to have one in gunmetal but the look comes after the performance for me on this.
Is this the fender mount that you saw?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
They do look like they make a nice product.
So, I must ask if you installed the same Elite version on your impressive list of Challenger's?
Also, does anyone here use one with dual exit ports?

I had the Elite on a 2014 Silverado I had. It was IMO mandatory on a direct injection engine especially the one's that do not also have an auxiliary injector in the old port location to wash off the valves. After I sold that I was going to put it on my Ram but I simply could not find a suitable place for it for the brackets I had and as it turned out, I have recently pulled the throttle body for cleaning after 40k miles and the back of the TB and the intake manifold were surprisingly clean, no puddles or carbon. Could be the shape of those intakes. I never put one on my current Challenger with the 3.6 but I did have them on all my 5.7 Challengers. I had one Moroso and the rest were BT's. But if I ever get another vehicle that I deem a catch can as beneficial, I will look into the Elite again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Had a Billet Tech on my 15 Hellcat and it was great.

I ordered a satin Titanium with Z-bracket from Billet Tech about 2 weeks ago. It arrived Thursday. Maybe they had exactly what I wanted in stock but 2 weeks from order to door was unexpected.

Here is mine on my 392 T/A

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a Billet Tech on my 15 Hellcat and it was great.

I ordered a satin Titanium with Z-bracket from Billet Tech about 2 weeks ago. It arrived Thursday. Maybe they had exactly what I wanted in stock but 2 weeks from order to door was unexpected.

Here is mine on my 392 T/A
Looks pretty easy to service as well...
I'm definately looking into the internals of them as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is indeed the one that I was referring to.
That would be mine. It can be unmounted for service. It's from UPR and originally came with a bolt that attached it to the fender mount. I put the knob with a stud in place of the bolt so I wouldn't have to drag out a wrench when I wanted to drain the can.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I did the moroso catch can just for the drain valve on the bottom .they make a nice product

1 - 20 of 30 Posts