Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Yes the cans work. Yes they catch oil vapor

Yes they look good. But don’t you think with the millions of cars on the rd that if the Mfg though it was necessary don’t you think they would do it from a liability Stand point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Yes the cans work. Yes they catch oil vapor

Yes they look good. But don’t you think with the millions of cars on the rd that if the Mfg though it was necessary don’t you think they would do it from a liability Stand point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they wouldn't. This has been explained before and I'll go ahead and make it the gorillionth time.

Running a catch can doesn't improve reliability or longevity, at least past the manufacturer's predicted duration of the vehicle with proper maintenance.

So why would they give a flying rat's ass if your car doesn't perform as well by then? If anything they want you to get a new car instead.

·
Super Moderator
13,396 Posts
A catch can will help to eliminate carbon deposits and prevent pre-ignition or knock. The reason catch cans are not installed on cars is their expense and the fact that it would add another maintenance chore (i.e., emptying the can every 2,000 miles) for the owner.

The following is an excellent discussion of how a catch can works and why it is beneficial for a high performance engine.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Cuda and Praise: thanks again for weighing in on this subject. One thing about this forum I appreciate is that collectively, we don't spue random opinion in place of fact and we don't ignore valid questions just because they've been asked before. There's no doubt that this will not be the last time this question is dealt with here. But that's what a good forum is all about: learning, logging, and then loaning out all the pertinent information we can to anyone who needs to know. A good library has lots of information; but a great library makes it accessible. And for many who either don't know how or just don't want to take the time, tracking down info on this forum can be time consuming. It's so much easier to ask simply ask somebody to reach up and grab something off a top shelf than it is to go find the dumb ladder. I for one am glad there are so many here willing to do just that.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
No, they wouldn't. This has been explained before and I'll go ahead and make it the gorillionth time.

Running a catch can doesn't improve reliability or longevity, at least past the manufacturer's predicted duration of the vehicle with proper maintenance.

So why would they give a flying rat's ass if your car doesn't perform as well by then? If anything they want you to get a new car instead.
did you read my post? i said from the mfg liablity.. they arn't going to put something on a car that is going to cost them money via maint. issues, repair. or even better.. relying on general public to be able to take one apart every so often to make sure that is is working and keeping the thing empty.

why in the hell do you think they have stopped putting transmission sticks in cars.. so people don't screw stuff up and are more or less FORCED to take it to a dealer.

again. do they work. ( pending your own personal views on DO THEY WORK ) i say yes. is it necessary.. NOPE NOT

A BIT

old school cars used breathers yrs ago and blew it to atmosphere instead of back into the motor ( pcv system ) that is a epa thing.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've had the BT one since I purchased the Scat Pack and very happy with it. I try to drain it every couple of weeks. My dealer use to also empty it out when they were doing the oil change.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,396 Posts
Old school cars used breathers yrs ago and blew it to atmosphere instead of back into the motor (pcv system ) that is a epa thing.
You're right. The old breathers didn't route the oil vapor back into the combustion chamber. As a result, there was minimal carbon build-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
21 - 30 of 30 Posts