Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car rn has FBO and a 392 cam and i have a nitrous outlet kit laying around that I will spray 50-75 shot with. Now the reason I'm looking into doing ported heads is I can't locate where my oil burning is coming from(it's definitely valve related and not rings) so I figured I may as well eliminate any possible chance of burning oil while also gaining power by getting ported heads that come with all new valves. So are the bigger valves worth it or is stock valve fine for my build. My end goal is 500+whp reliably. I was looking at THITEK ported heads with the 2.125" valves for like $2500

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,345 Posts
My car rn has FBO and a 392 cam and i have a nitrous outlet kit laying around that I will spray 50-75 shot with. Now the reason I'm looking into doing ported heads is I can't locate where my oil burning is coming from(it's definitely valve related and not rings) so I figured I may as well eliminate any possible chance of burning oil while also gaining power by getting ported heads that come with all new valves. So are the bigger valves worth it or is stock valve fine for my build. My end goal is 500+whp reliably. I was looking at THITEK ported heads with the 2.125" valves for like $2500
BTW have you looked at some of the customer builds from performance shops to see what needs to be done to hit your goal?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got in contact with thitek and they let me know that 2.080 valves (2.055 stock) will clear but any bigger requires boring out cylinders. I'm probably just gonna go for it sometime in may and report back gains since I haven't heard many people who have before and afters of heads on a fbo cam car, especially with bigger valves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just be prepared for disappointment. The stock heads flow better than the old 426 Hemi head from the muscle car era. They flow good enough to be at the diminishing returns level. Kind of like having a 266 comp cam in your car from the factory and swapping in a 270. Not much gain to be had. You might gain 10 to 15 rwhp at most.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be prepared for disappointment. The stock heads flow better than the old 426 Hemi head from the muscle car era. They flow good enough to be at the diminishing returns level. Kind of like having a 266 comp cam in your car from the factory and swapping in a 270. Not much gain to be had. You might gain 10 to 15 rwhp at most.
Yea I'm not expecting too much tbh. As long as I'm not burning oil anymore and I get some kind of gains I'll be happy tho. And if I ever go stroker down the road then it's already set for it

·
Registered
51 Posts
You might loose power if the chambers are 6.4 sized. I don’t know what options Thitek has. I know that eldebrock has a 65 cc version with large valves that will clear a 5.7 bore.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might loose power if the chambers are 6.4 sized. I don’t know what options Thitek has. I know that eldebrock has a 65 cc version with large valves that will clear a 5.7 bore.
Was gonna either send my heads in or do an exchange. I've heard the edelbrocks give very minimal gains while ive heard thitek was the best which is why I'm leaning towards thitek

·
Registered
51 Posts
Edelbrocks flow around the same as a stock 6.4 head. The only real advantage they have is the small chamber and they moved the intake valve to clear a 5.7 bore.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edelbrocks flow around the same as a stock 6.4 head. The only real advantage they have is the small chamber and they moved the intake valve to clear a 5.7 bore.
Hmm interesting, I'll have to compare prices and see which ones better. I'm really only doing it as a way to get all new valves and valve guides. But I just can't come to pulling all the heads AGAIN and spending more money for the car to not gain any power with new OEM parts.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s correct. I paid a little less then that for my Thiteks
How did you like them? What's else do you have done and did they make a noticeable difference? Im not buying their bear heads I'm just gonna have them, or someone port my heads and set up for bigger valves. Only new parts are gonna be valves, guides, and seals. So far I got a quote for $1800 from one of the vendors but still gonna see what else I can find before I make the move.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quality and appeal on the eye there first class. How I like them so far I will let you know in a few weeks. Putting the motor in this weekend. Tune the week after I’m hoping. This is a 448 cubic inch, 2.165 thiteks, 2 inch headers, etc etc so I’m not sure numbers to numbers but should be drastic compared to the 5.7 I took out.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quality and appeal on the eye there first class. How I like them so far I will let you know in a few weeks. Putting the motor in this weekend. Tune the week after I’m hoping. This is a 448 cubic inch, 2.165 thiteks, 2 inch headers, etc etc so I’m not sure numbers to numbers but should be drastic compared to the 5.7 I took out.
Nice, is that gonna be N/A or boosted?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like you may have nicked a valve stem when swapping springs. Personally, no way I’d drop the coin for new heads and use the 6.4 cam. I don’t think the big valves in the stock or aftermarket heads will benefit you much with that cam. I’d save the heads for a big motor myself. I believe you’re gonna have spin the 5.7 pretty hard to benefit from heads and your cam’s not gonna get there. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts