Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching this video about privacy in our cars and what the future of cars will look like. Self driving/Android Auto, etc.

At that time stamp referenced below, it was said Chrysler vehicles were hacked such that brakes were able to be controlled. That's scary.

I wonder if the SOS button or whatever it's called is always active. I'm assuming there is cellular service I think from Sprint and there's also a mic that allows us to communicate in the event of an accident.

I don't have the Guardian subscription anymore that once allowed me to start my car remotely, unlock, lock, etc. So i'm sure someone could hack and unlock the car start it, not sure if they can really turn off the car while driving. Doubt that.

Without Guardian would that SOS button still work and is it possible we can be listened to without knowing?

Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
..you must be new here. 馃憖
Been many discussions and discussions within discussions on this & similar.
bottom line
...the car is always gathering & storing data.
...the car is always "communicating" that data both close & far, when the car is both on & off.
...those are not always 1 way conversations.
Both the systems involved & the very convo's can certainly be intercepted/hacked.

Registered
Starting with MY18 all FCA vehicles separate the public network (Radio/Internet Connected Services/USB ports) from the Interior & Powertrain networks by firewall (security gateway) to prevent possible 'real world' occurrence of that over referenced 'hacking' demonstration. I'm sure other OEMs have done many similar things as well.

Personal data/veh use/location history is an entirely different story but that's the price we pay for all the 'free' services we get, ie, google, GPS, and social media if you're a tool ;)

(I don't consider this site social media lol)

Reactions: A Guy

Registered
2010 Furious Fuchsia SRT8 . 57/400
I was watching this video about privacy in our cars and what the future of cars will look like. Self driving/Android Auto, etc.

At that time stamp referenced below, it was said Chrysler vehicles were hacked such that brakes were able to be controlled. That's scary.

I wonder if the SOS button or whatever it's called is always active. I'm assuming there is cellular service I think from Sprint and there's also a mic that allows us to communicate in the event of an accident.

I don't have the Guardian subscription anymore that once allowed me to start my car remotely, unlock, lock, etc. So i'm sure someone could hack and unlock the car start it, not sure if they can really turn off the car while driving. Doubt that.

Without Guardian would that SOS button still work and is it possible we can be listened to without knowing?

I hate all that bluetooth and wifi and hands free shit..I yank all that stuff out of my cars because yes it is possible I have seen it , go to "motherboard" website
and watch the guy drive the jeep with his lap top...oye..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starting with MY18 all FCA vehicles separate the public network (Radio/Internet Connected Services/USB ports) from the Interior & Powertrain networks by firewall (security gateway) to prevent possible 'real world' occurrence of that over referenced 'hacking' demonstration. I'm sure other OEMs have done many similar things as well.

Personal data/veh use/location history is an entirely different story but that's the price we pay for all the 'free' services we get, ie, google, GPS, and social media if you're a tool ;)

(I don't consider this site social media lol)
hmm my car is a 2017. Does that mean I don't have that firewall and protection?

I know Dodge knows my tire pressure and oil change info. I get emails showing my tire pressure. Wonder what else is known

Registered
2011 gwe srt
id bet you have a cell phone and use it daily. Id bet some of you go on sites like facebook daily too. Like most of us spend at least an hour a day on the internet where you can be tracked as to location and even so far as them knowing what you like to eat or what you buy and set you pages up with the advertisers that sell those exact products.. They have technology that allows them to listen to your conversations in your living room from satellites. You are opening yourself up to a to more invasion of privacy doing what you do everyday. Kind of comical youd worry about your challenger doing it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, some say our cell phones are like chips that we voluntarily carry with us instead of forced implantation. To really break free from all surveillance would require sacrifice. Probably a dumb phone and living out remotely minimally

Registered
2010 Furious Fuchsia SRT8 . 57/400
..you must be new here. 馃憖
Been many discussions and discussions within discussions on this & similar.
bottom line
...the car is always gathering & storing data.
...the car is always "communicating" that data both close & far, when the car is both on & off.
...those are not always 1 way conversations.
Both the systems involved & the very convo's can certainly be intercepted/hacked.
there is no such thing as privacy anymore, if you read the user agreements uconnect had it would surely make a criminal paranoid as hell. I wouldn't discuss any big bank heist or transport a kidnap victim , well, you know what I mean. I have a c3 corvette I love to drive because I know that thing is free from any of that crap. But I did get a GPS signal blocker and it really works, it plugs into the lighter and when my kid mis with me the maps app iPhone won't give you directions because it can't get our coordinates. I did research for years on this as I had 2011 SE for a while and it was one of those Christine cars, almost killed me once, before I had any idea anything like this existed.. I have had 4 Challengers, I drive the 2010 SRT8 Furious Fuchsia now and she is pretty good with her system not being compromised. I just never use any phone sync, wifi, bluetooth etc. The best way to reset and clear any device integration is to do ma hard reset. This is good not do once in a while anyways , you just take off neg battery cable and then positive , go pump brake pedal to drain any existing power lingering in system and get a zip tie and touch the two cables together and zip tie together and let it sleep overnight. Remove key fob from the immediate area too. Now there are a few tips to refresh your car to give her a bit more juice as well, the 2 fuse in fuse box under hood is the gas mileage improvement module power source, it teaches your car how to use less fuel in turn making it run slower...pull the 25 amp fuse and let it clear memory stored, takes about 15 minutes, replace and notice the improved torque off the line. Also Challengers are fast learners with their memory storage they can run according to the first 20 minutes of drivers style, my hubby is a granny driver and his car runs great in traffic and in city driving with a longer shift point , like taller gears feeling sorta, as to when I reset it and drive it like I'm at the track it drive more peppy and responds faster. So ifyounare heading out for some track fun, do na reset first to teach it to drive aggressively. And do a gas pedal reset with it by putting it in drive mode with no start up, let all dash lights tom out then slowly press the pedal to the floor and count to 20, release tough brake to start it. So what did we learn? Trust no one, and how to make your car run faster....lol.....good luck. Now go reset your cars!!!! Have fun with a personalized reset...love these cars.

Registered
hmm my car is a 2017. Does that mean I don't have that firewall and protection?

I know Dodge knows my tire pressure and oil change info. I get emails showing my tire pressure. Wonder what else is known
Your veh does not have a SGW module.

While I don't know exactly what is tracked if you sign up for connected services I would imagine it's the same kind of stuff your phone/'free' apps track.

Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
True, some say our cell phones are like chips that we voluntarily carry with us instead of forced implantation. To really break free from all surveillance would require sacrifice. Probably a dumb phone and living out remotely minimally
Works for me...

Registered
2011 gwe srt
another reason i would love to see all that crap like info centers an option. I dont want it or need it but am forced to pay for it because someone has to be on facebook or use wifi while driving down the road. Put an tach oil pressure, coolant temp and amp gauge on the dash and a FM radio MAYBE with sirus capability. to be honest unless im on a long ride the radio isnt even turned on. Thats not the kind of music im interested in driving my car. People today are ADDICTED to cell phones and social media that willingly allow business and government to spy on every aspect of there lives. When i grew up kids road bikes, went hunting, fishing and played ball. Now there faces are buried in a computer or phone for half a day. Not even just kids. Walk into Walmart and see how many people you see with there phones in there faces.

I really shook my head one day about a year and a half ago. We went to red lobster for dinner. Walked it the reception area to wait for a table. There were 4 other couples in there and all 8 people were sitting on a bench tapping on there phones. I truely believe its a form of mind control. Just think between sleeping, eating and working and tapping on a phone how much time is left for reality!! Theres a big beautiful world out there. ME id experience it in person then see it on a 3 inch screen. My whole life will never revolve around a phone. I dont care what your having for supper so places like facebook will never see me. THE LAST THING i want to do driving my challenger is text you or talk to you on the phone. If you want to ask me something hop in your car and drive over here or call me on my land line. IF its not important enough for you to do that im not interested. Yup Gila Hemi it works for me too. Has for 64 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.