Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are hood pins really necessary for driver's like ourselves?
The only exceptions I can think of is for maybe on a vehicle with a light weight carbon, fiberglass or non-OEM type hood.
This especially being that they did not come with the vehicle from the factory, at least not anymore.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The only exceptions I can think of is for maybe on a vehicle with a light weight carbon, fiberglass or non-OEM type hood.
This especially being that they did not come with the vehicle from the factory, at least not anymore.
Not really necessary, but they are still cool looking. Like you said, if you got a carbon fiber hood or something they would be needed. I plan on getting some for mine. I guess if for some weird reason, your hood latch decided to fail they could save you, but I haven't heard of that being a major issue lately.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
Hood pins were very common on late 60s/early 70s muscle cars. They were primarily for cool looks and tended to mimic hood pins on race cars that held down fiberglass or stripped out (no braces) metal hoods (there was no latch or springs because of weight savings).

As an example, the two hood pins on a 1970 Challenger were mainly cosmetic (since the steel hood had metal hinges and a safety catch) but the four hood pins on a 1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 440 6-Pack were necessary since its "lift-off" fiberglass hood had no metal hinges. See photos, below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,733 Posts
I get that hoods that open up from the front make access to the engine easier, but I always thought front hinged hoods made more sense in terms of safety at speed. If our hoods open up at 100 mph, the wind would crash it right into the windshield, where a front hinged hood would stay put more.
Haven't hoods had a double latch system for quite awhile now? There's the initial release from inside the car, and then a secondary one from underneath the front. If this wasn't enough, I would think NHTSA would mandate something else.
So hood pins are more of a cosmetic thing nowadays IMO. I don't see the need really.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No not necessary. But if I'm going to spend $25-70k on a vehicle I can do whatever I please. If putting hood pins makes me happy..then so be it. I could give a rats butt what anyone else thinks. With that being said...I don't have any. But hey I could always change my mind.

Also, you don't have to drill holes in the hood. They do make the simulated ones which have the 3m backing tape and stick on.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,345 Posts
Is drinking Guinness really necessary? :huh:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a different take but many of you may remember this. I remember I had hood pins on my car and they had little locks on them. They served a purpose. The reason back in the 60-and very early 70's, anyone could walk up to you car in a parking lot, reach into the grill and pop your hood. They could help them selves to your carburetor, your wires, your fancy performance filter, your ram air items etc. Added security to your pride and joy. Now everyone pops the hood from inside of the car.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
nope not necessary at all especially on a stock hood with two working latches. they look cool though. I recommend the stick on appearance pins if you don't want to drill holes into a perfectly good hood.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,345 Posts
You mean that dark brown liquid they serve unrefrigerated by the pint, made famous in the taverns of London, England??!!
Actually no. I mean that dark brown liquid that is on tap in every Irish tavern in the US. :guiness:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I will say that the are not needed, but I had them on all of my Mopars back in the 70's. Since I am going for the retro look with my R/T, they were a must have. Plus they add another wow factor to the car. I used the Mopar hood pin kit, and it was very easy to install. Drilling the holes in the hood was real easy. Just mount the pins and put a little dab of paint or grease in the top of the pins, close the hood so the pins list touch the hood, then drill your holes at these spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just mount the pins and put a little dab of paint or grease in the top of the pins, close the hood so the pins list touch the hood, then drill your holes at these spots
I was wondering if something like that would work. Kind of takes the trepidation out of drilling holes in my hood...a little.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I was wondering if something like that would work. Kind of takes the trepidation out of drilling holes in my hood...a little.

Unless you just have to say you have functional hood pins...why drill? With the hood up all you see are two pins...no WOW factor there. With the hood down cosmetic aka stick on pins can't be told from the functional pins unless you inspect them from about 6". Also once those holes are drilled you're committed forever and it's irreversible. These are my $30 cosmetic pins that look as good today as they did five years ago when I put them on. In the end functional hood pins on a stock hood, with two working latches, on a car that is not being raced...are just for looks anyway. Just my opinion

·
Registered
213 Posts
Unless you just have to say you have functional hood pins...why drill? With the hood up all you see are two pins...no WOW factor there. With the hood down cosmetic aka stick on pins can't be told from the functional pins unless you inspect them from about 6". Also once those holes are drilled you're committed forever and it's irreversible. These are my $30 cosmetic pins that look as good today as they did five years ago when I put them on. In the end functional hood pins on a stock hood, with two working latches, on a car that is not being raced...are just for looks anyway. Just my opinion
You do make a pretty good point.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
For those of you that do have hood pins on your Challenger, I have a question...

I had a '70 Challenger with hood pins. Even though the lanyards were plastic coated, they still scuffed up the paint on the nose of the car/front fascia area. Is that still the case? I can see the lanyards lay across the nose of the car, so thus my question.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts