Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,345 Posts
Yeup... that's the stuff, its smells and tastes like a used pint of motor oil. :icon_biggrin:
Lol...
I wouldn't know, because I don't drink. There are much better things I can spend my money on. :saythat:

·
Registered
2010 RT Mopar 10
105 Posts
I have the Mopar 10. It comes factory with the hood pins and a light weight aluminium bonnet.
Are they necessary? I don't know. But I did have a 70's muscle car that the bonnet opened up when driving so Im happy they are there. However on modern cars this should not be a issue.
Cool factor is definitely there.
Do the lanyards scuff paint over time? Yes unfortunately they do,

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
LOL....anything on a car that is fake is...fake.

Yep that's true and it doesn't mean anything. Many things on a car, including challengers, are fake from the factory. Faux wood grain, faux leather, plastic "chrome" accents (like plastic "chrome" Hemi badges), plastic "chrome" wheels, fake hood scoops/bulges. I could go on but you get the point. Some things, like stripes (oh fake "carbon fiber" stripes) for example, are for nothing more than appearance value and offer no functional aspect to the car.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Yep that's true and it doesn't mean anything. Many things on a car, including challengers, are fake from the factory. Faux wood grain, faux leather, plastic "chrome" accents (like plastic "chrome" Hemi badges), plastic "chrome" wheels, fake hood scoops/bulges. I could go on but you get the point. Some things, like stripes (oh fake "carbon fiber" stripes) for example, are for nothing more than appearance value and offer no functional aspect to the car.
The only thing fake on my ride are the fake painted on plastic stripes & fake chrome badges. The real leather seats, the real alloy wheels, the real hood scoop, the real transmission & clutch all came stock... :D

·
Premium Member
781 Posts

Not really. Well, fake scoops have been derided for years so they don't help much with this argument.

Hemi badges? Well, they aren't fake....they decorate and inform the model of the car/engine. They could not serve any other purpose. Hood pins DO serve a purpose, so ones that don't do anything are fake.

Stripes? Really? Again, stripes serve their exact purpose - decoration - so they are not fake. Hood pins that are supposed to secure the hood, but can't/don't, are fake. Fake hood pins are fake because they fail to perform their primary function - secure the hood.

It's like when you see a guy with a bugcatcher on his carbs...WTF?

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
I couldn't put fake hood pins on my car. Might as well put a decal of Hood pins on the hood. I agree it is a functional add on
If I want hood pins then it's time to grow a pair and drill some holes in the hood.
Then you have hood pins

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I couldn't put fake hood pins on my car. Might as well put a decal of Hood pins on the hood. I agree it is a functional add on
If I want hood pins then it's time to grow a pair and drill some holes in the hood.
Then you have hood pins
Hey now, don't knock the decals. I've heard that each one adds 5 hp. That's why they put so many of them on the windows of ricers. They learned that watching NHRA races. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey now, don't knock the decals. I've heard that each one adds 5 hp. That's why they put so many of them on the windows of ricers. They learned that watching NHRA races. :icon_eek:
i'm going to hijack thread for a second, speaking of NHRA, did you see Papa John's owner in his helicopter above the track watching Lea Prichert run her race a couple weeks ago. man that was cool, to have that much pull to be able to do that. as announcers said fastest pizza delivery girl in the world. wouldn't mind having her deliver one to me, she's pretty hot & think all of her is real not fake & i'd give her a big tip!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
i'm going to hijack thread for a second, speaking of NHRA, did you see Papa John's owner in his helicopter above the track watching Lea Prichert run her race a couple weeks ago. man that was cool, to have that much pull to be able to do that. as announcers said fastest pizza delivery girl in the world. wouldn't mind having her deliver one to me, she's pretty hot & think all of her is real not fake & i'd give her a big tip!!!!!!!!!
Nope, I didn't, and as for me, I'm more into funny cars. May the (Courtney) Force be with you! :eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
How much drilling does it require?
Is this something a dealership can install?
A holes for the hood pins and holes for the mounting bolts. Yes the dealer can install it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nope, I didn't, and as for me, I'm more into funny cars. May the (Courtney) Force be with you! :eek:hyeah:
JFR for the win! My hero is the old man, but I've known him since the match racing days of the 70's. Totally cool, utterly obnoxious guy. Kick ass John.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
are there any Challenger HellCats with the Real Hood Pins out there that could post a pic?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
I will say that the are not needed, but I had them on all of my Mopars back in the 70's. Since I am going for the retro look with my R/T, they were a must have. Plus they add another wow factor to the car. I used the Mopar hood pin kit, and it was very easy to install. Drilling the holes in the hood was real easy. Just mount the pins and put a little dab of paint or grease in the top of the pins, close the hood so the pins list touch the hood, then drill your holes at these spots.
I had the same thing happen to my 1971 'Cuda. The lanyards move slightly with the air flow. Over time, this action rubbed off the paint in the two small spots where they came in contact with the front edge of the fascia. One obvious solution, is to install hood pins without the lanyards.

·
Vendor
12,219 Posts
not for every body

21 - 40 of 49 Posts