Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are pistons and rods good enough for 8-9 lbs of boost? Looking to get some input. I have mahale pistons and thinking of getting some manley rods. Is this good enough for some more boost?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,994 Posts
Are pistons and rods good enough for 8-9 lbs of boost? Looking to get some input. I have mahale pistons and thinking of getting some manley rods. Is this good enough for some more boost?
Off hand I'd say forged rods and not the powder forged rods though and forged pistons should handle the boost but you probably should hear that from rod and piston makers.

You should ask Mahle and Manley these questions. The piston and rod maker both should be able to recommend the right/best hardware for your intended build.

'course the engine tune has to be on the money.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Which engine are your referring to...5.7 or 6.4? I have read a post (I don't remember if it was here or another forum) where a SC 6.4 was running on just 6 psi and the rods were deformed when the owner disassembled. When I bought my 5.7 (8psi) kit from Arrington...I was told by their sales rep they had a gent that was running 10 psi on a stock motor but he was running water/meth which they tuned for. Main thing is to make sure you are running high octane fuel, your timing is not too aggressive to produce knock and your AFR is not lean (piston ring gaps will close and destroy pistons).

·
Vendor
12,555 Posts
5.7 will live with 8 psi, 6.4 max safe boost level is 7 psi, if your changing pistons, dont go half way change the rods, and if a 5.7, change the crank, best scenario 6.4 crank in a 5.7 with the right rod and piston makes a killer combo
Luke

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Psst....Luke....fish on....this is where you add the link showing the superchargers available at Steve White. :browsmiley:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts