Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I read somewhere where some tire brands are normally wider than other ones. Well, I am going to go with 295/40/20 on my rear wheels and I am wondering if anyone knows which brands run wider and which brands tend to run more narrow? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
A while back I read somewhere where some tire brands are normally wider than other ones. Well, I am going to go with 295/40/20 on my rear wheels and I am wondering if anyone knows which brands run wider and which brands tend to run more narrow? Thanks!
Yes, it can vary a lot. Cheaper brands usually skinnier(Atturo, nitto) expensive wider (Michelin, contintential).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
My used 2012 Challenger came with (assuming NEW) Continental tires... NOT A BRAND I honestly would have thought of... But they're awesome so far. I want to put more "meat" out back, so I'm curious as well! ?
I'll measure tomorrow and post back for reference. ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That begs the question to the OP... , is it for asthetics or function? Or both? I agree on both counts (wheel well look, and actual grip and/or handling)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That begs the question to the OP... , is it for asthetics or function? Or both? I agree on both counts (wheel well look, and actual grip and/or handling)
Yes, both for sure. Also, function from the standpoint of not rubbing... I have an SRT-8 that has been lowered an extra inch, so there is not a lot of room if the tire is too wide or has a more squared-off tread design.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
On tirerack.com every brand has a specific sect. Width.
I. E.
Those firestone indy 500 ,305mm have a width 12. 3 inch.
The 295. (One above ) has a 11. 9 inch.
And so on.
This is the best way to see difference.
Hope it helps

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
One of the biggest tire size swings is in Michelin’s. When looking at tires not only look at size aka say 305/35/20. But look at inflated width. Michelin for example has tires in a 295/35 that are listed for Ferrari’s that are 12.4 width and some of there 305 tires are the same size.
Indy 500 firestone tires for example are 12.4 on a 305 30/20
I got nitto 555r and are 305/35 and are 12.1 wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts