Dodge Challenger Forum banner

are spark plugs all created equal?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sick'r bee 
#1 ·
i feel like the answer is they are pretty much the same but thought i would ask, because i could swear i saw an indepent dyno that there some plugs that actually added like a 3 hp, but i dont know where i saw that and i really dont believe its.possible.

but if there are some brands or types that are better for certain reasons id love to know. i am going to be swapping my tb and lower intake mani so i figured of there are some better plugs id take advantage of having thw upper inatake mani off to replace them.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Iridium will give you better combustion, and last way, way longer. Not a great choice for spray or boost [there are better ones for that], but if you're NA it's the way to go.

--CC
boost could be in the next year or so...so maybe I will go with these for now and when I am in the process replace them with ones better suited to boost...what ones are recommended for boost?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Iridium's are terrible plugs for making power any which way you go N/A, nitrous or boost. A fine spark has inherent problems right from the start in a combustion chamber. When fuel burns in a combustion chamber you want it to burn all at once and completely. The fine spark of a platinum or iridium plug does not do a good job with this at all. A fine spark is more prone to blow out even N/A and does not ignite all of the fuel consistently a smaller gap does seem to help a bit but it still doesn't do a good job. So why do manufacturers use them, because they do last a long time and they can boast they're 100,000 mile tune ups. ie (marketing) NGK 4306 gapped at 0.040 N/A for mild boost Gap the NGK 4306 spark plugs at 0.032 The NGK 4306 spark plugs are full copper and have a very broad/wide spark which throws a much better flame. When gapped correctly per specific application allows your engine to see it's full potential. No spark plug makes HP on the same hand can cost you HP the full burn of a NGK 4306/copper spark plug helps in every aspect of combustion.
after a bit reading ot would seem the 4306 is more of a.forced induction plug and a N/A is more of the 5306 plug would that be accurate?

or would q colder plug be better for a an all bolt on canned tuned motor and in the near future heads and cams?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.