Dodge Challenger Forum banner

are spark plugs all created equal?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sick'r bee 
#1 ·
i feel like the answer is they are pretty much the same but thought i would ask, because i could swear i saw an indepent dyno that there some plugs that actually added like a 3 hp, but i dont know where i saw that and i really dont believe its.possible.

but if there are some brands or types that are better for certain reasons id love to know. i am going to be swapping my tb and lower intake mani so i figured of there are some better plugs id take advantage of having thw upper inatake mani off to replace them.

#2 ·
NGK Copper one range colder are a must for nitrous applications.

#6 ·
Not at all. Even plugs recommended for various motors from auto zone don't always work as well from one brand to another. 3 hp wouldn't be unheard of at all, but it's mostly about keeping the engine running smoothly for longevity. The 5.7L hemi in the trucks don't like fancy plugs. The stock champion copper cores are the way to go. I don't know if it's true or not for the cars, but I'd be using copper cores unless I learn otherwise between now and my first plug change on here.

#7 ·
Iridium's are terrible plugs for making power any which way you go N/A, nitrous or boost. A fine spark has inherent problems right from the start in a combustion chamber. When fuel burns in a combustion chamber you want it to burn all at once and completely. The fine spark of a platinum or iridium plug does not do a good job with this at all. A fine spark is more prone to blow out even N/A and does not ignite all of the fuel consistently a smaller gap does seem to help a bit but it still doesn't do a good job. So why do manufacturers use them, because they do last a long time and they can boast they're 100,000 mile tune ups. ie (marketing) NGK 4306 gapped at 0.040 N/A for mild boost Gap the NGK 4306 spark plugs at 0.032 The NGK 4306 spark plugs are full copper and have a very broad/wide spark which throws a much better flame. When gapped correctly per specific application allows your engine to see it's full potential. No spark plug makes HP on the same hand can cost you HP the full burn of a NGK 4306/copper spark plug helps in every aspect of combustion.

#9 ·
Hey, the plugs he's talking about are for the hemi's, If your looking at plugs for a v6 they're a whole nother animal. They're 19mm reach, gasket, they're a special height and an extra projected tip. Call/email ngk or brisk .They'll give you a reccomendation for what you're trying to acheive.

#10 ·
^^^ and they are platinum tipped, 100k mile plugs. Need to specify engine next time, or U get the Hemi answer.:guiness:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.