Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back we heard on here that some 2009-2012 (maybe 2013 also?) Challengers had experienced small, unexplained "Mystery Dents", mostly on the roof. Possible causes being torsion stress points or the sheetmetal braces not being properly glued, or whatever. Just curious - has anyone with a 2014 or 2015 experience these mystery dents? I'm wondering if Dodge has remedied the problem in the newer manufacturing process.

·
Premium Member
2015 SRT 392
667 Posts
I saw a brand new 2015 5.7 Shaker at a dealer where I had to explain to the salesman what they were. Haven't seen it on any other 2015 though, and none on mine either. If they are still putting that rust-inducing sound deadener foam in the car after 7 years, I highly doubt they altered the manufacturing process to solve the mystery dent issue.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I got several on the edge of the right side roof line. I don't know if that happens in the factory welding or it is happening on the street. When I need some repair done someday at a dealer, I will open a case and escalate it to the top as necessary. Had "Jeff" at SRT watching my car on a "case" because it came with a OEM dent in the door I DID make them pay to repair. I reported we still had issues...I guess he went dumb, deaf and blind on me and quit responding to my mail. That is ok, the head of Customer Service was involved, I'll just get my barking email going again. Until then I am driving the sjit out if it and loving every minute. Otherwise great cars, they just come with OEM dents and welts!

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
I've checked a bunch of '15's on various lots the last several weeks, and have seen zero dents.

However, every single car had the "dimples", and plenty of them, on both of the body colored "roof rails".

So, based on what I've seen, no mysterious dents at all, but more roof rail dimples!

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
I haven't noticed anything yet but it sounds like I may want to stay blissfully ignorant. :) Is it something you have to bob up and down, left and right to get the light to reflect a certain way to see these things? Know what I mean?

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
I haven't noticed anything yet but it sounds like I may want to stay blissfully ignorant. :) Is it something you have to bob up and down, left and right to get the light to reflect a certain way to see these things? Know what I mean?

Yep, have to be just at the right angle with the right light, and BINGO, you'll never forget where they are at, and then see them every time! LOL

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
Yep, have to be just at the right angle with the right light, and BINGO, you'll never forget where they are at, and then see them every time! LOL
Being a recovering automotive OCD type...I'm going to stay away from that one lol. I do need to get some Dr. Colorchip for those inevitable chips though. At least my body panels, which I glanced at, line up right.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Being a recovering automotive OCD type...I'm going to stay away from that one lol. I do need to get some Dr. Colorchip for those inevitable chips though. At least my body panels, which I glanced at, line up right.:thumbsup:

I fully understand what you're saying. When these first "cropped up", many were very hard to spot, but there were many that stuck out like a sore thumb too. Some were small, and others large.

IIRC, it was pretty much determined that the "glue" process/adhesive that is used under the body panels to attach to the bracing was the culprit.

Not all cars had them, and some had so many, that Chrysler did do a few buy backs.

Seems like this issue has settled down, so I'm guessing that the manufacturing issue was found, and is now more closely monitored.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
I fully understand what you're saying. When these first "cropped up", many were very hard to spot, but there were many that stuck out like a sore thumb too. Some were small, and others large.

IIRC, it was pretty much determined that the "glue" process/adhesive that is used under the body panels to attach to the bracing was the culprit.

Not all cars had them, and some had so many, that Chrysler did do a few buy backs.

Seems like this issue has settled down, so I'm guessing that the manufacturing issue was found, and is now more closely monitored.
That's good to hear and thanks for the quick backstory.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Look at your front fenders just above the wheel well or in that general area.

My 2014 has "mystery dents" if you look at it from the right angle.

I looked at 2 other 2013 and 2014 Challengers on our lot and sure enough they had small dents or "waves" on the front fenders as well, but it's only visible from a certain angle.

Has to be a mold issue from the factory, the molds get old and should be replaced with new ones but they don't do it soon enough and you get "wavy" or small dents in the front fenders.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nothing on a '14 SRT8, though I got a bad door ding that's right below the crease in the bodyline (aft of the passenger door).

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,923 Posts
Look at your front fenders just above the wheel well or in that general area.

My 2014 has "mystery dents" if you look at it from the right angle.

I looked at 2 other 2013 and 2014 Challengers on our lot and sure enough they had small dents or "waves" on the front fenders as well, but it's only visible from a certain angle.

Has to be a mold issue from the factory, the molds get old and should be replaced with new ones but they don't do it soon enough and you get "wavy" or small dents in the front fenders.
My 2015 SRT had none of these ripples at purchase time. Now I have almost identical vertical ripples directly over the front wheels on each fender. You have to look hard to see them, but once you do, they really stand out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My scat pack had soft dents/waves on the roof above the drivers side door but before the actual roof panel. Had a PDR guy take them out and looks perfect.

Had a bigger indent on the roof panel by the passenger door that he took out as well.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My scat pack had soft dents/waves on the roof above the drivers side door but before the actual roof panel. Had a PDR guy take them out and looks perfect.

Had a bigger indent on the roof panel by the passenger door that he took out as well.
What year Challenger do you have?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to clarify: the mysterious dents/dimples from earlier years usually appear within a year or so of purchase - some were even observed on the new car lot pre-purchase.

Hopefully this has been addressed and the manufacturing process for 2015 has been improved.

Just keed in mind, even if the mysterious dents are no longer a problem in the 2015s...the sheet metal on these cars is very thin and can be dented/dimpled by pressing too hard during waxing, sitting on the car, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2015 and had 7 dents pop up in the 1st week. 5 days later I dropped it off at dealer and it’s been there for the last 4 weeks. 4 on passengers side in aperture and 2 on actual roof, then 2 on drivers aperture. The dents are caused by a number of issues, it’s very easy to see. I have a 2015 Challenger BIW right outside my office door. The frame rail ends halfway down the front door, and then after that to the rear wheel well it’s just thin sheet metal. Inside the car there is a stiff cross member that runs where the back seat is, but its bolted into place, kinda like a secondary addition (but its too far back). The roof only has one thin skin, no inner. There is only one brace going fore\aft on the roof. So basically there is no structural support to withstand 485 hp. That’s why most show up on passengers side rear roof, that’s the way the car twists and it takes the brunt of the force. To make it worse, if the tool that stamps out any of the panels have not been reworked in some time (which they need often) or they put a newbie on the press and they don’t use the right amount of draw oil or the die is dirty, its gonna cause material to move\not move as its intended.

There is a reason the stopped building the Hellcat with a sunroof.

BTW…… I am a BIW process engineer and metal stamping designs.

Reactions: DGatzby

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
None on my 2015 SRT, but I didn't have any on my 2009 SRT either. The temperature doesn't vary a lot here in south/central FL though. I wonder if climates that have a wider variation of winter to summer temps stress the metal more?

Anyway, just like my 2009, my 2015 has some visible "stress ripples" in places of stress like the doors where the side mirrors mount. Never thought much of it since my 2009 had that also. Not the prettiest thing to look at but you basically have to be sighting down the edge of the car to see them.

Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
My '12 R/T had them and my '15 SP has them as well. The '15 has a bad one right behind the drivers door that was not there when I bought it and nothing hit it or pressed it in. It is very noticable from the right angles, especially being black. Above the rear wheelwells is pretty bad as well.

A good friend of mine owns a PDR shop and he chased after my '12 roof and 1/4 panel 'mystery dents' for a year, they always came back. Its a combination of body/chassis movement and large flat panels with no creases or body lines to strengthen them. I dont even worry about them any more and expected it on this '15. I dont think they changed anything, may have made the structure a little more rigid with some added bracing but the sheetmetal is so thin it doesnt take much to warp it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts