Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any grease zirks on the front end like ball joints and such that should be greased now and again. Thanks guys !

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,698 Posts
Just wondering if there are any grease zirks on the front end like ball joints and such that should be greased now and again. Thanks guys !
Very unlikely. Does the factory manual call out any suspension/steering grease schedule?

It has been years since some suspension/steering hardware even came with holes drilled/tapped (but plugged) for a grease fitting.

The last vehicle I can remember owning that had suspension/grease fittings was a 1972 (?) Dodge D200 pickup truck I bought used in the mid 1970s.

Since then I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in a number of cars with no signs of any issues from any of the suspension or steering joints.

It is important to check all these for any signs of dust boot failure. If a dust boot fails dirt gets in and can ruin the joint.

(The only boot I had fail was the dust boot on the front sway bar drop link of a 2002 Boxster -- after over 200K miles -- and the CV boots. I had both drop links replaced with new ones. For the CV boots the tech removed the shafts cleaned and inspected the bearings and finding them ok packed them with grease fitted new dust boots and installed the shafts back in the car. This at around 250K miles. At 317K miles when I sold the car the CV boots and CV bearings were still fine.)

Added: Meant to mention you can always get the car -- at least the front of the car -- safely in the air -- car ramps? -- and with a flashlight look for any grease fittings. Block the rear wheels so the car can't roll off the ramps while you might be under the car.

·
Registered
853 Posts
No there are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,013 Posts
No zerk fittings either ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clarifying guys. I was just curious because looking through the service manual I didn’t see any notes to service joints like that.

·
Registered
15,908 Posts
My Silverado 2500HD has 11 on the front suspension, the 1500 has zero. Pretty soon you won't even have to change the oil.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,698 Posts
My Silverado 2500HD has 11 on the front suspension, the 1500 has zero. Pretty soon you won't even have to change the oil.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Zerks on the 2500HD is kind of cool. I used to enjoy as I was letting the oil drain from the D200 engine hitting the
various zerks with a grease gun and seeing a bit of grease ooze out from the dust boot. Always gave me a warm fuzzy feeling I was helping prolong the steering/suspension service life.

Used the technique I watched gas station mechanics -- back when they were real mechanics -- and even at the tire store my Dad managed. Use a red rag to wipe the zerk clean then put the grease gun to the zerk and giving it a rather brief shot of grease - didn't take much -- then removing the gun and giving the zerk another wipe. Maybe I am dreaming but I seem to remember with some cars the zerk fitting even had a cap that fit over it to protect it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nope, the only Zerks on my '10 Challenger were on the vastly better aftermarket parts I added as the potholes did their damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts