Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to beef up security on my Challenger. I've decided to go with Gorilla lug nuts, but was wondering if I should get the standard chrome locking lug nuts, or if they make a stainless steel set? My car is a daily driver and goes in the snowy winter months too. I'm afraid the chrome Gorillas will rust soon.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Just my 2¢:

A lot of sites claim that they have stainless steel gorilla nuts - and their stock number ends in 'SS' implying stainless, but right on the gorilla website, all I could find when I did the research was reference to their 'Lifetime Lug Nuts' which were guaranteed to never rust as long as you owned them. But it says they're 'Triple Nickel plated and Chromed'. These are not available as locking nuts that I could find however...:

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

I ended up going with their 'System Locking Lug Nuts', where EVERY lugnut is locking:

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

They are not SS but are triple chrome plated. I ordered their '71644N' version (Acorn style 14mm X 1.50) for my Challenger which gave me 24 nuts (I wanted four as spares). They are also available in a 5 nut/wheel (71643N) if you don't want spares. I don't drive my car in the winter, but I did buy the 'System' nuts for my Jeep Wrangler, which is my DD, about 18 months ago. I also use my Jeep for snowplowing. Salt is used a lot here in the winter (Southern Ontario) and my Jeep doesn't get washed until the nice weather in the spring. All my lugnuts still look brand new.....

I got mine from Amazon.com (~ $50 for the set of 24). i also ordered a spare 'key socket' direct from Gorilla for about $12.....

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I had actually looked at those exact locks on Amazon just after I bought the replacement set of solid lugnuts from Steve White Motors (they had a special and I disliked the chrome clad OEM lugnuts). There were a few reviews that mentioned those locks did have slight rust after a while (maybe because water may get trapped between the spinning sleeve and the main body), but the main reason I went the 'System' route is that I wanted all five of the nuts on each wheel to be identical.

Those would definitely work and have great reviews on Amazon...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Aren't the original (yet cheesy) lugnuts stainless? Or is the locking or "security" lugnut key here?

Just asking. I love my especially cheesy Chrome Clads and we all know nobody wants to steal those things! :D

·
Super Moderator
17,312 Posts
Aren't the original (yet cheesy) lugnuts stainless? Or is the locking or "security" lugnut key here?

Just asking. I love my especially cheesy Chrome Clads and we all know nobody wants to steal those things! :D
The OEM lug nuts have the s/s cap over the steel nut - the problem is, the covers can distort and be a PITA to remove.

I had this experience (brought car in to diagnose a noise -warranty). They removed the lugs a couple of times (impact gun probably) and the covers were distorted and getting loose. The dealer was trying to diagnose a symptom (sounded like suspension) and had to take things apart to investigate - found out to be a bad engine mount...
Trying to get a socket over them got difficult when I needed to rotate my tires the next time around shortly afterward.

I got the Gorilla lug nuts to replace them. Its a common occurrence with Chrysler lug nuts that most tire shops know of the issue, and routinely replace the OEM lug nuts due to the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts