Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,,i plan to retire in a few years @ 59 1/2,, so i thought of down sizing and get rid of some higher payment things first,,2017 go green gt every option except sunroof,19000 miles
way back i had 2 honda si's and look at the 18;s,,they have come a long way since 2009/2012,,can get one for 23900,, found a synergy green one loaded,,drove 50 miles to look at it
looked pretty sweet,,didnt drive it because it was on show room floor,,anyways the guy came over and asked if that was my awesome looking challenger outside [ has already got most of the people from dealership outside checking it out] kinda like they have never seen one :surprise::surprise:,,,so i told hin my story about downsizing and he said they wanted the gt pretty bad,,whatever right
lets deal,,,showed me the invoice on the si,,,22,300 and i can have it for that,,SWEET beginning,,,gave him my window sticker so they could see all the options the gt had
right at 39k,,no i didn't pay that but they didn't know that,,gave him my pay off 34k [ have only had it 1 year] so he takes sticker and says ill be back in a minute,,
he comes back with these figures blah,blah 23k for gt :yikes::yikes::smiley35::smiley35: kidding me !!! musta forgot to take the :smiley35: me sign off my back before i went in !!
cant believe the gt's didn't hold value more than that !!! needless to say me and the go green traveled back home together,,with the stereo cranking and a :grin2::grin2:
with a sigh of relief i didn't trade !!! maybe next year !!! or not

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
You pretty much always get screwed on a trade-in. Maybe they'll call you back in a couple of days to sweeten the deal?

The best thing to do is sell the car yourself, but if you are like me, you don't want to go through that.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
God was mad at you for trying to trade your Challenger for a Civic. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
They will try to pull your pants down and jam you one hard one at trade in every time. Doesn't matter if you are 59 1/2 either. Try to sell on your own.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Unless you're going to sell your GT and buy a $3k 1995 Civic/Camry, just keep your car. You're not going to save that much going from a new car to another new car and you're going to have considerably less fun in the process.

·
Registered
132 Posts
These cars, unless salvaged or with extremely high mileage, tend to retain their prices very well. Back in 2008 when the Challenger was being entered into the market the R/T (a version of which I sought) had an average retail of 32k. After waiting a few years and checking the market prices for the 08' I assumed that the price would have diminished somewhat. Instead, the average price for a used 08' RT in 2010, 30-32K. The lowest I ever saw an RT before I finally was able to acquire my own was 28K. The only reason why Caroline was retailed at below 20K was that her previous owner had racked up 140,000 miles on her and other than a few quarks she runs, drives and looks nearly perfect. Your car did not drop in value and there is a difference between market prices and dealer trade in prices in that it's the dealers prerogative to try and short change you. Challengers really don't drop in value.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
The V6's don't hold value well at all. When I sold my 5.7's I was surprised how well they held value. But the 3.6, not even close. Right now my 19 month old, 12,000 mile SXT Plus that stickered for almost $35k is worth $20k at excellent rating. It's a good thing I really like it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
This is THE BEST TIME of the year to sell a vehicle yourself and NOT get killed on a trade in. Give it a try. If this were December, it would be different story.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after a day or so im REALLY happy he tried to screw me,,did i really wanna trade down that low,,probably not,,si's look awesome from the outside,,but inside is well below par compared to gt
just for s & giggles ,,i kbb look up on the gt,,trade in range is 26 / 29,,private sale is 31 / 34,, not even close to his figures i sent dealer a text / pics with the kbb figures and told him his appraiser was full of BS,,guess what
not a peep from him,,,lol should have pulled it up at the car lot,,glad i didnt,,so me and the green machine are gonna hang out for awhile longer

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
In today's internet connected world, you can get a lot of information on a car's value as far as retail or trade-in. I would never go shopping for any car without being fully informed of what to expect and what I would consider a good deal. For the most part, I don't feel there is such a thing as a "good deal" when "trading" cars. It's always going to be good for the dealer because he's simply not going to make the deal if he can't make money on it. That's business and he's there to make money. The thing is that he's always going to take a shot and making top dollar and it's not his job to make it good for you.
You can also get pricing information on the new car that you're shopping for and you need that information before talking to the dealer.

Always determine what your car is potentially worth and how much you're willing to take.

It's usually an eye-opener for everyone when you look up what your car is really worth. Big letdown.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
FWIW, don't believe all the "hype" that goes along with various brands, and how good they really are.

A good friend was choosing between and Charger and a Honda Accord for his work car. He's a regional manager with his company, and does a lot of hiway driving.

He went with the Accord, based on all the reliability reports, resale, etc.

Long story short, his CVT transmission went on the blink. Out of warranty, and Honda doesn't repair this tranny, they replace it, period.

With only 130k miles, and a Honda that can't be driven or even sold, he paid the $5500 cost for a replacement CVT tranny. He told me that the Charger looked pretty good now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts