Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok to some this sounds stupid but this is what I want to do. I really want to get some nice 18inch wheels for my srt8 with meaty tires instead of rolling on 20's.

Im aware the front brembos are too big and most 18" wheels wont fit... BUT if I use a 3mm wheels spacer would that be ok for regular/daily driving?

If I this can be done, im thinking of geting some boss 338's 18x9.5 all 4 corners.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Ok to some this sounds stupid but this is what I want to do. I really want to get some nice 18inch wheels for my srt8 with meaty tires instead of rolling on 20's.

Im aware the front brembos are too big and most 18" wheels wont fit... BUT if I use a 3mm wheels spacer would that be ok for regular/daily driving?

If I this can be done, im thinking of geting some boss 338's 18x9.5 all 4 corners.

It might be ok for some but not on my car. Not on any of my cars. Heck I won't run them on my 4 wheelers.:browsmiley:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be ok for some but not on my car. Not on any of my cars. Heck I won't run them on my 4 wheelers.:browsmiley:
Why? im just curiuos why some people are really scared of running spacers?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Why? im just curiuos why some people are really scared of running spacers?
Some people? Who are they? Name, names.

I've been running 3mm billet spacers for 2 years without a problem on my Magnum.

Also your offset on your wheels should dictate whether or not you need spacers. I have 19’s on the front of my SRT8 Charger with no spacers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some people? Who are they? Name, names.

I've been running 3mm billet spacers for 2 years without a problem on my Magnum.

Also your offset on your wheels should dictate whether or not you need spacers. I have 19’s on the front of my SRT8 Charger with no spacers.
Thanks for the reply. The more research I do the more confused I become. So It looks like the srt8 stock rim offset is 25.5mm so I should rethink things and return to the drawing board.

·
Registered
210 Posts
18x9.5 Boss 338 have a negative offset...They'll stick out past the body of the car!!!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've been running 3 mm spacers on the front of my 2006 Charger since it was new with no issues. I had to use them so the SRT wheels wouldn't rub under full lock. I'd be scared of 1/2" spacers like I've seen some people run, but 3 mm spacers should pose no problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
3mm is only about a 1/4 of an inch, which really can make the difference if a rim fits or not. Its perfectly safe to drive on, especially for daily street applications. If you're using the BT billet spacers made especially for our cars, you have even less worry as the fit is perfect. I just went through the aftermarket wheel saga myself - installed Cragar SS 610Cs (20 x 9 w/5.5 inch backspace & 13mm offset). What I learned was that offset and backspace are not necessarily absolute - and if it will fit depends on a few other variables. Wheel size, wheel design, and (in the case of SRT8s) brake caliper clearance.

On another forum, I found a wheel size chart that was very useful to me (attached in case it helps you). Notice rim diameter is not listed - the offsets and backspacing are associated with rim WIDTH. Regardless of diameter (18" or 20"), I'd recommend you stay with a 9" rim so that you have a wheel wide enough to accomodate the Brembos as well as handle the performance characteristics of your car. That said, you'll notice that once you identify the width, as long as the backspace and offset matches the chart, you'll have the minimum clearance you need. Hence the negative offset that worked for the poster that mentioned his Magnum. Also the reason a 13mm offset worked for me - 12mm is the minimum offset for a 9" wide rim with a 5.5mm backspace to fit on most applications.

Bottom line - as long as the offset and backspace are consistent with the chart as it relates to the rim width, you should be fine. One more recommendation - TEST FIT before you mount the tires to the new rims. The retailer I got my wheels from said they would fit - but recommends a test fit for all aftermarket wheels prior to mounting tires just to make sure.

Finally - as part of my "test fit" I measured the stock clearance with the Alcoas. 7mm at the closest point from the spokes to the brakes in front. Using that as my "OEM baseline" for what my minimum clearance should be during the test fit - I found the Cragars had a 10mm clearance, so I was good to mount the tires. I also attached a pic - I really like the look.

You have options - just do a little research on the tech specs of the wheels you are considering and if possible, do a test fit before pulling the trigger. Here are the tech specs for our Challengers for wheel mounting purposes:

Lug Nuts: 14mm x 1.50 RH, 1.565" Long, 13/16" Hex (or 21mm - its the same metric or standard measurement). Some rims require a conical seat lug, so make sure you know if that's the case.
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 115mm

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....personally, my main concern would be with thread engagement and making sure it is sufficient with the spacer and new wheel installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weld Racing makes a 17 inch wheel and an 18 inch wheel that works without spacers. Fits right over the brakes. RT-S is the series name. This way you get a good looking wheel without any spacers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HemiFan Thanks for all the detailed info its greatly apreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem I had was the fact that the valve stem on the Crager S/S wheels hit the caliper, I was forced to return the Cragers and purchased a set of Boss Wheels that are very similar to the Cragers. I was assured that they would fit without interferance but guess what...the same problem. When calling the dealer to find out what was going on came to find out that there is an offset wheel option of the same design wheel to handle this problem. However, you need to be aware that you need this option and ask for it when ordering

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
its a 40 thousand dollar car, you tell me are they safe for your car? not mine

·
Registered
389 Posts
HemiFan Thanks for all the detailed info its greatly apreciated.
My pleasure. Aftermarket wheels are a big investment and affects to look of your car in a major way. You want to make sure its going to work before you lay out the cash.

The reason I listed the mounting specs is that the bolt pattern is usually the first indication that the rims will fit. Car manufacturers use different bolt patterns on different makes/models, so you need to know that in order to select the proper rim application. For example, when checking out my Cragars, I found the company makes 3 size 610C rims (18, 20 and 22) with a 5 x 115mm bolt pattern. They make the same size rims with other bolt patterns as well, but those won't fit properly on Dodge and Chrysler HEMI cars.

The Mustang GT/5.0, for example, uses a 5 x 114.8mm bolt pattern - close, but your rims should fit EXACTLY to your car's bolt pattern or you could have a catestrophic failure.

Anyway, check out 18 x 9s/9.5s with a 5 x 115mm bolt pattern, and that should get you a good list of aftermarkets that can potentially be mounted on an SRT8 if you want to go less than a 20" wheel. From there you can look at backspace and offset to further determine if they will work (using that chart as a GUIDE). Again, do a test fit prior to mounting the tires if there is any doubt on clearing the front calipers. Also - don't forget about the TPMS in the stock valve stems - you can usually just swap the whole assembly over as long as the placement and angle of the stem on the new rims is the same. You can tell by looking. I did the swap and had no issues with the TPMS warning light or placement of the valve stems on the rims.

BTW, it is optimal if you can forego the spacers - things like how far down your lugs are seated are important. Besides, there are a good selection of aftermarkets that will fit without needing a spacer - so why go there if you really don't have to?

·
Registered
389 Posts
What Becker said - good advice. The rims on that link have a pretty big backspace (almost 7 inches off center). May want to look at something with a 5.5 - 6" backspace, as that will keep you at 13 - 20mm on offset.

Most of the national franchise tire/wheel retailers have web pages that you can plug either rim data (bolt pattern + rim size) or your car's make, model and year - and pop up a list of choices from several manufacturers that will fit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Say man you'll be fine. I have quarter inch spacers on the front of my car for arm bar issues. Just get your lug nuts torque every blue moon to be safe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts