Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a shock sensor alarm system. I was thinking about a 2 way system. Ideally I could arm my car with my factory keyfob, but also carry around a 2 way remote fob at home or or with me if i'm going out of town without the garage to keep my car in. I installed 20 wheel locks on my car already. I also have a locking gas cap. I also have special license plate security screws. It will deter the opportunist. I think a shock sensor will complete the protection. I'm thinking about a Viper system, the installer is asking for $499.

Goals: To beef up security on car rather than rely on factory alarm system.

1. Is $499 a good price for a 2 way shock sensor installation?
2. What do you guys have to protect your car? security system wise or any other things you guys do? Any recommendations?
3. No one uses steering wheel locks anymore right?
4. Will the shock sensor alarm cause performance issues?
5. Is there any cons to having an aftermarket security system?
6. It won't void the warranty on my car right?
7. Anyone install cameras? dash cams? What would you recommend? Does it record all the time while you are away? Is there any way to view the recording remotely?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
My buddy had a Viper alarm system on his Challenger,2015 SP,it came with remote start , if glass is broken, if you get to close
it sends a warning, if the car is leaned on sets off alarm , car locator, and a few othe things .
He is very pleased with the system
It runs off its own fob , and also from your phone

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy had a Viper alarm system on his Challenger,2015 SP,it came with remote start , if glass is broken, if you get to close
it sends a warning, if the car is leaned on sets off alarm , car locator, and a few othe things .
He is very pleased with the system
It runs off its own fob , and also from your phone
I think the glass sensor and proximity audio warning is another extra option. I'm not sure if it's part of a bigger package you could get. I think car location is a monthly subscription. I would like to remotely lock my car door on my phone after my uconnect 1 year subscription is over. I don't know if Viper is cheaper for that subscription or uconnect

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
I have a tilt and shock sensor I plan on installing to the stock alarm.

If you subscribe to Uconnect (kind of pricey though) not only do you get notifications if your car is with tampered via phone but you can ping its location. I would say that is ultimate protection.

I stopped having aftermarket alarms installed "professionally" back in the late 90's when the local news reported that several workers from the local alarm install (detailing) shop were arrested for stealing cars they installed systems in. One of the guys busted installed the alarm in my sister's Dodge Stealth and in my Jeep YJ (God I miss that Jeep).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a tilt and shock sensor I plan on installing to the stock alarm.

If you subscribe to Uconnect (kind of pricey though) not only do you get notifications if your car is with tampered via phone but you can ping its location. I would say that is ultimate protection.

I stopped having aftermarket alarms installed "professionally" back in the late 90's when the local news reported that several workers from the local alarm install (detailing) shop were arrested for stealing cars they installed systems in. One of the guys busted installed the alarm in my sister's Dodge Stealth and in my Jeep YJ (God I miss that Jeep).
I'm not sure if i have the know hows not to mess up my car doing it myself. If they are reputable one on yelp with good reviews. maybe they might be okay. I still have to buy and learn how to install a oil catch can.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
I'm not sure if i have the know hows not to mess up my car doing it myself. If they are reputable one on yelp with good reviews. maybe they might be okay. I still have to buy and learn how to install a oil catch can.
What I find ridiculous about the manual challengers and the factory alarm is that there is no hood switch...basically anyone can open your hood and not trigger the factory alarm.

·
Registered
14,302 Posts
That hood pin not part of the alarm anyway, even with A8 it is only there to prevent a remote start with the hood open.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
So if you open the hood on an A8 and hold the hood switch down, lock the car, wait at least 1 minute and then release the switch the alarm does not activate? That is even more ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
What's even more ridiculous is that a skilled theif with a black box can walk up to your car, have his partner
stand by your house, wait for the black box to intercept the communication between the fobik and the car which
gets him the signal, open the doors, push the start button and drive away, no cutting, no broken windows etc
and the black boxes are legally sold on the internet for "learning" purposes....

If you park outside at home, better put that Fobik in a tin (with a lid)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's even more ridiculous is that a skilled theif with a black box can walk up to your car, have his partner
stand by your house, wait for the black box to intercept the communication between the fobik and the car which
gets him the signal, open the doors, push the start button and drive away, no cutting, no broken windows etc
and the black boxes are legally sold on the internet for "learning" purposes....

Keyless Mercedes Stolen without key - YouTube

If you park outside at home, better put that Fobik in a tin (with a lid)
wow thankfully i park in a garage. Would it help if I don't use the keyfob, I just keep it in my pocket. I use the keyless entry and I lock the door by pushing down the button.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
wow thankfully i park in a garage. Would it help if I don't use the keyfob, I just keep it in my pocket. I use the keyless entry and I lock the door by pushing down the button.
The Fobik system is a two way system and I guess the fobik talks to the vehicle even when not in use. The
Merc stolen in this video is the same sub model Merc I own and they use the same Fobik as the pre 2015 Challengers.

The 2015+ Challengers have a permanent PTS button and a new Fob, and I'm not sure how the new Fob's
work, but I suspect they too can have their signal intercepted.

Really the only thing you can do is to put the fob inside a metal container to block it's signal.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
What's even more ridiculous is that a skilled theif with a black box can walk up to your car, have his partner stand by your house, wait for the black box to intercept the communication between the fobik and the car which
and the black boxes are legally sold on the internet for "learning" purposes....If you park outside at home, better put that Fobik in a tin (with a lid)
I solved that problem. After thoroughly researching many anti-theft systems, I had a a Ravelco device installed on my 2009 SRT as soon as I brought it home. It is a hard-wired anti-theft system that makes your car impossible to start without the correct electrical plug (plug has 16 pins with 100,000 combinations). Excellent time-tested system. Since it was invented, in 1976, there have been no reported thefts of over 4 million vehicles with this device. Check out their web site.

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Fobik system is a two way system and I guess the fobik talks to the vehicle even when not in use. The
Merc stolen in this video is the same sub model Merc I own and they use the same Fobik as the pre 2015 Challengers.

The 2015+ Challengers have a permanent PTS button and a new Fob, and I'm not sure how the new Fob's
work, but I suspect they too can have their signal intercepted.

Really the only thing you can do is to put the fob inside a metal container to block it's signal.
Do they sell specific metal containers for this purpose or can you use any old cookie metal tin container?

Also do you guys think $499 is a reasonable price for a 2 way viper system install?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Do they sell specific metal containers for this purpose or can you use any old cookie metal tin container?

Also do you guys think $499 is a reasonable price for a 2 way viper system install?
What you're looking for is "faraday cage".

Git you learned.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
What you're looking for is "faraday cage".

Git you learned.
interesting. I guess I can make my own. I think it might also protect against EMP attacks or something. https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/build-your-own-faraday-cage-heres-how/

they also sell a bunch on amazon. like faraday defense. looks like some popular brand on there. which product do u guys use?
You could go all survivalist and try to make a faraday cage for your car, but I think the better idea would be the ones for your keyfob.

I don't personally use one, but if you trying to decide on one from amazon make sure you filter reviews from actual purchasers only to get a better idea.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
It doesn't actually have to be anything marketed as a "Faraday Cage" since we're not hardening it against
EMP which is different than simply blocking a radio signal. A tin cookie can would block any outgoing signals
from a fob and that would be adequate. Just my 0.02

I don't use anything like this because my vehicles are locked away in my no window garage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts