Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
File this one under "Damn, didn't think about that..."
Current rims: 18"x8"
Current ride height: approx 1" lower than factory, but orig stance's "rake" still in place.

Tire setup to begin with:
Front - 235/55 (~28" diam)
Rear - 255/50 (~28" diam)

Then rear tires mysteriously go bald (mystery solved-lead foot), so I replaced them with 2 used tires I found on the cheap until money saved for new ones.

This made the tire setup:
Front - 235/55 (~28" diam)
Rear - 255/45 (~27" diam)

But the side profile of my car was now displeasing. The size difference in tires from front to back was noticeable. So I swapped tires/rims from front and rear.

This made the tire setup what it is now:
Front - 255/45 (~27" diam)
Rear - 235/55 (~28" diam)

Success! The aesthetics were much improved. The car's rake hides any noticeable difference from front to back in tire size now, giving the side profile a more natural look.

However, this final swappage of tires to put short up front and tall in rear had an unintended consequence in an unrelated area of functionality.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should keep it like it is to satisfy my eyes, or if I should go back to 'tall up front & short out back' to make driving less hazardous.

Can you guess what is currently "off-nominal" with my Challenger?

(Hint: the ill-effect was immediately noticeable once I started driving around, but it has nothing to do suspension, alignment, traction, tire wear, steering, etc.)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Can you clarify what it is you're asking?

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can you clarify what it is you're asking?
Sure thing...basically, I was just wondering if anyone can guess what the problem was which I caused with that final tire swap.

While the final tire swap did solve my problem of "looks", it also caused an unforeseen problem to arise, one which makes it a little dangerous to drive my car.

In hindsight, it was a problem that I probably should have seen coming but didn't, and I am wondering if it would have been obvious to anyone else before they did the last tire swap (thereby confirming I am indeed a numb-nut).

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
My guess would be ABS

Reactions: Nuke

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess would be ABS
No, I adjusted the tire size using my tuner, so no probs with anything computer related.

Hint #2: the car is only more dangerous to drive at night, daytime safety has not been affected.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, it's quitting time in IST, so that means it's quittin' time for me. But before I hit the sack, I will spill the beans:

Putting the short tires up front and tall tires in back fixed the look of my car when viewed from the side, but it screwed up my headlights' field of illumination at night.

Now they only illuminate about 10 yards in front of me, which gets a little dicey if I'm going faster than 30-35 mph on a road without any street lights.

Luckily, I live in the city, so most of the streets I travel at night are already well lit, but if I were living outside the city right now, there's no question I would swap the tires back right now to regain nighttime drivability.
As it is, I'm still waffling on whether to keep them like this until I can get some new 255/50s for the back (allowing me to put the 235/55s back up front).

One the one hand, I live in the city, so the roads I travel should be lit up enough for me to hack it until I get new tires.

On the other hand, in the past year here in the city, I have come across a couch, a metal chair, and an iron shelve laying in the middle of the road at night (different times, different roads), and I only managed to avoid them by seeing them in time and executing evasive maneuvers.

Something which my current situation would have prevented I'm afraid.

But it just looks so wonky with the tall-up-front/short-out-back tire setup!

Ugh, decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Must be quite the rake if the self leveling head lights can't compensate. Maybe I should look in to this, though I live in the country I'm often flashed by on coming cars for my HIDs even though they're set on low beam. On second thought, F#@K 'em. :)

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must be quite the rake if the self leveling head lights can't compensate. Maybe I should look in to this, though I live in the country I'm often flashed by on coming cars for my HIDs even though they're set on low beam. On second thought, F#@K 'em. :)
Being set back into the fascia is the main prob from what I can tell. The headlights' "porch overhang" prevents the upper portion of the light beam from going straight out when the nose is pointed slightly downward.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Can you guess what is currently "off-nominal" with my Challenger?

(Hint: the ill-effect was immediately noticeable once I started driving around, but it has nothing to do suspension, alignment, traction, tire wear, steering, etc.)
In addition to your headlight issue, you are also suffering from what's known as Widertiresupfrontidis.

The above condition is very common with the import crowd, primarily at the drag strip (see below).

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a Rake and a Rambler?

She's got a little rake to 'er, but it's definitely amplified by the shorter tires up front now:

a rake and rambler 1.jpg

a rake and rambler 2.jpg

a rake and rambler 3.jpg

Here's what she looked like before the last tire swap (tall up front, short in rear):

big tire little tire.jpg

Surely my dilemma is obvious now...form or function?

That is the $64K question for me to answer I reckon...

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In addition to your headlight issue, you are also suffering from what's known as Widertiresupfrontidis.

The above condition is very common with the import crowd, primarily at the drag strip (see below).

HAHAHA!! NICE!

Mine aren't quite that wide up front, but the 255/50s they replaced in the rear had less tread than those guy's front tires, and I ain't BSing. It got to the point where I couldn't drive in the rain because the traction control was constantly engaging trying to keep the car from skidding one direction or another. And from that rock, I now find myself jammed into a hard place it seems.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surely an extra inch up front would always be welcome? ;)
That depends on which way that extra inch is going - up or down.

If it's down, NO THX! I done tried that, it didn't work out too well:

front_too_low1.jpg

I was bottoming out on discarded cigarette butts and the only thing my headlights illuminated was the top of my license plate holder.

Now, on the off chance you were referring to an inch going in/out instead of up/down, I still say NO THX! That's served me up just as much trouble as any problem my car has ever had. I'd rather stick to the things I understand and can fix!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Stick with this for the time being. After you burn up the skinny rears, replace with something wider.

:)

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Now, on the off chance you were referring to an inch going in/out instead of up/down, I still say NO THX!
I believe your long suffering wife says differently. As I understand it, all those fights and arguments about you loving your car more than her could be easily resolved with an extra inch. Just sayin'..... ;)

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe your long suffering wife says differently. As I understand it, all those fights and arguments about you loving your car more than her could be easily resolved with an extra inch. Just sayin'..... ;)
If only it were that simple...surely it couldn't be...could it?

I would ask her myself to find out, but that would require I remove the sock I have stuffed in her mouth to prevent her from yelling, and there's actually a city ordinance currently in effect that disallows the removal of her sock during the hours of 10pm-10am, so I cannot ask her just yet.

Dang noise pollution laws, they're always more trouble than they're worth!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I once broke up with a girl because she said she would only date a man with a 10" Johnson...

I told her I wasn't cutting 2" off no matter how good she looked.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I once broke up with a girl because she said she would only date a man with a 10" Johnson...

I told her I wasn't cutting 2" off no matter how good she looked.
Hehe, not bad, reminiscent of this one:
My g/f came home drunk last nite, jumped into bed, and told me "gimme 12 inches and make it hurt!"
So I banged her twice and then smacked her with a brick.

Reactions: cannonballcobb

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I just got this one today...

Subject: Italian Wedding Test

I was a very happy man. My wonderful girlfriend and I had been dating for over a year, and so we decided to get married. There was only one little thing bothering me...It was her beautiful younger sister.

My prospective sister-in-law was twenty-two, wore very tight mini skirts, and generally was bra-less. She would regularly bend down when she was near me, and I always got more than a nice view. It had to be deliberate. Because she never did it when she was near anyone else.

One day her 'little' sister called and asked me to come over to check the wedding invitations. She was alone when I arrived, and she whispered to me that she had feelings and desires for me that she couldn't overcome. She told me that she wanted me just once

before I got married and committed my life to her sister.

Well, I was in total shock, and couldn't say a word.

She said, 'I'm going upstairs to my bedroom, and if you want one last wild fling, just come up and get me.'

I was stunned and frozen in shock as I watched her go up the stairs. I stood there for a moment, then turned and made a beeline straight to the front door. I opened the door, and headed straight towards my car.

Lord... And behold, my entire future family was standing outside, all clapping!

With tears in his eyes, my father-in-law hugged me and said, 'We are very happy that you have passed our little test. We couldn't ask for a better man for our daughter. Welcome to the family.'

And the moral of this story is:

Always keep your condoms in your car.

:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts