Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you planning on tinting your Challenger? If so, what percentage are you going with? Are you remaining within the legal limits of your resident state?

Check out Welcome to TintLaws.com for the tint laws of your state.

For me (Michigan)

• Windshield :: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
• Front Side Windows :: Any darkness can be applied 4" inches from the top of the window.
• Back Side Windows :: Any darkness can be used.
• Rear Window :: Any darkness can be used.

Being a 2-door, this basically means i can only tint my rear window aside from the top 4" of my side windows if I want to remain within legal tint. Stupid michigan...

Despite that, I think I may consider 30% tint all around (minus windshield) and just hope the officers in my area are lenient about it. What are you guys planning on doing? I would especially appreciate input from fellow Michiganders! :stickpoke:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tint is always my first mod. Any shade is illegal in California for the side windows but the difference it makes is worth the risk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice, here in NM I can do 20% all around, minus the windshield of course. Thinking of paying cash (no receipt) and getting 5% (limo). That might be too dark though. I suppose I should work on getting the car first.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Im only allowed 32%, i think im going with 25% or 20% anyway :)

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I have 20 on my charger, it is awesome. So far i have had no problems with police, thats my biggest concern.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
I never had any probs with LEO's 20 on my caddy and 20 on the Daytona....Even with the massive shade band!

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I had originally told Bob to put 20% on my car. I will more than likely stay with that number anyway :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Michigan tinting laws suck. They only allow tinting on the top 4" of the side window (gay). My first car had light tinting and I got ticked for it. They can't pull you over for tinting, but can ticket you for it if they pull you over for something else. Me, I got pulled over for, and I quote, "Blinding brake lights". I got a fix-it ticket for the brake lights? and a fix-it ticket for the tint. The problem with the tint ticket, you still have to pay the fine even after you spend several hours removing the tint.

That said, I will probably do 20%

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, Michigan tint laws blow. I think a big part to avoiding tickets, though, would be as what someone mentioned earlier - make the tint something that isn't an issue for the officer. Roll down your windows, if it's dark turn on the cabin light, and hands up where they can see them on the wheel. I'm going to assume the law against tint is for the officer's safety so they can see what you're doing in the car. If you can make yourself as visible as possible if you're pulled over and show them you're not here to make any trouble at all -- perhaps it'll turn out better. Then again if the law is so they can see you as you drive by, nothing will help that.

I'm considering 30% all the way around except the windshield, but since another Michigander is going 20% now you have me wondering if I could get away with that... haha.

What area of Michigan do you reside? I'm in the metro-detroit area. So far the officers have been pretty lenient around here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I live in Adrian (near Ohio border) but I work in Plymouth. The cop that got me is an Adrian based state boy notorious for being a ***** about window tint. After pulling me over, he actually asked me to roll my windows up to tell me the windows were illegal. I think he has since retired so I am not to worried. I would have to see what 20% 30% looks like to decide. Yours will be a black 09 SRT also won't it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
They really need to have a national tint agreement law, the difference from state to state is goofy. California has a nasty habbit of giving AZ cars tickets for tint just before the border on the way back into Arizona-----after you spent your money at Disneyland! Himmmm!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
27% is for Colorado. Is that dark enough? About how much are you paying if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
332 Posts
After looking at all the different state laws I feel real lucky that I drove over 1800 miles home with my Viper Ram that I bought in Kentucky. Black truck with dark tinted windows done at the dealership before I bought it. Paper drive out plate in back window that you really couldn't read because of the dark glass. You people in Mich. apparently are at the the mercy of the officer that stops you if he or she thinks your front windows are to dark according to Mich. state law. I know some states where the officer will have a lite meter to check tint .

1 - 20 of 73 Posts