Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my nitrous-ready 90mm TB last week in the mail from Arrington. What a phenomenal product! It looks fantastic right out of the box, dwarfs the stock TB by far. Installation was a breeze except for fitting the MOPAR CAI 90 degree rubber boot onto the larger TB intake.

I tested it out over the last couple days. When you rev the engine, you can REALLY hear this thing sucking air! It is awesome. First day's driving I had no issues whatsoever. I'm currently running a 91CAI tune off my Predator.

I was assured by AJ that I would be able to get a tune from him to safely run this TB without fear of leaning out. I have my A/F wideband installed, but haven't got the headers back from the coater yet, so will have to wait till then to hook it up.

Day #2 with the 90mm TB brought codes galore, got a check engine light, Mr. Squiggles, and a TB icon lit in red on the dash. There were times I would press the gas, and get no response, other times the engine was hunting and idle ran an average of 1500rpm, but was hunting around. I disconnected the battery... then reconnected, and all was well for about 5 minutes, then Mr. Squiggles was back, but she ran fine otherwise.

Will try harder to get ahold of AJ today to get some sort of tune. Once I get a safe tune, I'll do some WOT tests to see if my 0-60 times have changed. For now, wil stick with no more than 1/2 throttle.

This things looks awesome and even has a carbon fiber backing plate on it. Very nice product!

Thanks for the wonderful Throttle Body guys!!!

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Keep us posted on the codes. I understand there are tuning solutions and I'm confident A.J. will take good care of you.

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I received my nitrous-ready 90mm TB last week in the mail from Arrington. What a phenomenal product! It looks fantastic right out of the box, dwarfs the stock TB by far. Installation was a breeze except for fitting the MOPAR CAI 90 degree rubber boot onto the larger TB intake.

I tested it out over the last couple days. When you rev the engine, you can REALLY hear this thing sucking air! It is awesome. First day's driving I had no issues whatsoever. I'm currently running a 91CAI tune off my Predator.

I was assured by AJ that I would be able to get a tune from him to safely run this TB without fear of leaning out. I have my A/F wideband installed, but haven't got the headers back from the coater yet, so will have to wait till then to hook it up.

Day #2 with the 90mm TB brought codes galore, got a check engine light, Mr. Squiggles, and a TB icon lit in red on the dash. There were times I would press the gas, and get no response, other times the engine was hunting and idle ran an average of 1500rpm, but was hunting around. I disconnected the battery... then reconnected, and all was well for about 5 minutes, then Mr. Squiggles was back, but she ran fine otherwise.

Will try harder to get ahold of AJ today to get some sort of tune. Once I get a safe tune, I'll do some WOT tests to see if my 0-60 times have changed. For now, wil stick with no more than 1/2 throttle.

This things looks awesome and even has a carbon fiber backing plate on it. Very nice product!

Thanks for the wonderful Throttle Body guys!!!
It's interesting how some cars will throw codes and yet other ones don't when the same mods are performed. I've heard of several cars throwing codes with the 90mm throttle body installed w/out a CMR tune, and yet others don't throw codes in the absence of a CMR tune. I don't have the answer to that. I installed a 90mm Arrington TB along with a fully ported manifold on my '10 6.1 and have not had a single code come up. I am running the 93 tune in mine along with having added 1.5% fuel @ WOT from 4800 rpm and up with no knock retard detected. It definitely runs stronger up stairs than with the stock manifold/TB. Don't yet know what the A/F is as I've not yet installed my AF gauge, but it can't be too far off, with KR showing 0. Also running the Magnaflow cats and under-drive pulley. No codes for the past 1100 miles of running this combination, however. Can't explain why though, if others do encounter codes with the 90mm TB, w/out a CMR tune. Would love to get some theories on this. There has to be some explaination to this.....

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update..

Latest update on my Arrington 90mm TB... I'm running AJ's tune, and it seems to be working fine cruising around town providing I drive under 20 miles. So far, every time I drive over 20 miles, right at the 20 mile mark (give or take a block), the dash lights up with Mr. Squiggles, the TB icon, and the check engine light illuminate. The idle also shoots up to about 1200-1300rpm, and the engine starts surging and running rough.

I found that pulling over, shutting the car down, then restarting gets rid of all the lights except the check engine soon light and the idle and surging resolves. I checked for engine codes with my Diablo, but none come up, then usually within the next 3-5 trips with the car, the engine light goes back out.

This is my daily driver and 99% of my trips are local and under 5-10 miles.

The tune from AJ is a "safe for nitrous" tune, and is for the TB and headers, but I haven't got the headers in place yet but should have the time for installation in 1-2 weeks. I suspect that is not the cause though, because the TB icon is coming on as well. The only change I've made to the tune is changing the fan setings, and that wasn't until last week, haven't had any problems since then, but all trips have been local and short (and fun!).

I haven't tried a long trip yet to see if it happens EVERY 20 miles, or just the first 20. I hoped the ECM just had to learn the new TB and the problem would resolve over time, but it still happens every time I drive to church (22 miles). Will be trying again in the morning.

Open to suggestions...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Arrington 90mm TB

I had a Arrington 90mm TB put on at Arrington and tuned by AJ.
2 hours into a 8 hour trip on the interstate I had the same codes,
did the same thing, pulled over and shut the car off about every
hour till I got home. AJ sent me a new tune and I loaded it, around
town it's great, have not taken another road trip so I dont know
if its fixed. AJ stated the computer was not sure about the extra
airflow is why it shut down on me.

When I get home from Aghanistan I will take a 2 hour drive and check it
out. So this is not uncommon I assume.

Ernest

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the update Ernest! Tried driving her to church again this AM, same as always, 2 miles from church, had to pull over and shut her down, same thing on the way home. I have a trip planned to a GTG in Myrtle Beach in about 6 weeks, sure hope she's better before then or it's gonna make for a long trip. I may just have to reload the stock tune, or even reinstall the stock TB for the trip.. :(

I guess I'll have to get with AJ this week and see if I can get a different tune. One other thing I'd like changed, if possible... when descending a steep hill, I get a wonderful burble from the Meisterschaft exhaust, but only for about 2-3 seconds, then the fuel is cut off and I get nothing, plus the car speeds up. I wonder if there's a way to deactivate this "fuel-saving" program so the fuel flow doesn't get cut off, and the burbling exhaust tickles my ears a bit longer. I didn't buy this car to save gas...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

The trip to Myrtle Beach required shutting down the engine and restarting (while driving) 13 times on the way down, I didn't count the number of times on the way back.

I finally managed to have my Diablo Tuner with me this week, and captured the code which is P2173 Throttle Actuator Control System - High Airflow. AJ has since sent me a modified tune which I tested last night. I was able to drive 33 miles (12 more than before), but the dash lit up again.

He has already sent be ANOTHER tune this AM which I'll install tonight and test when the rain stops.

I will say this, AJ is fantastic! He is tenacious to say the least and won't quit until we fix this.

Cudos to AJ, and to HemiSam for recommending him to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts