Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Should a convertible be built?

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a convertible Challenger be better than a Mustang or Camaro? My opinion is yes.
Here's why;
1) Existing, proven, world class arcitecture.
2) Multiple, existing powertrain options - 6 cylinder to SRT all wheel drive option.
3) Shortened time line to production due to existing
proven technologies.

These comments are based on speculation that this vehicle would be built on the 300c platform.

P.s. Check out the two attachments of edited photos.
The car looks great as a convertible.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: 2010 Challenger Convertible ?

convertiblely27 said:
Would a convertible Challenger be better than a Mustang or Camaro? My opinion is yes.
Here's why;
1) Existing, proven, world class arcitecture.
2) Multiple, existing powertrain options - 6 cylinder to SRT all wheel drive option.
3) Shortened time line to production due to existing
proven technologies.

These comments are based on speculation that this vehicle would be built on the 300c platform.

P.s. Check out the two attachments of edited photos.
The car looks great as a convertible.
It's been discussed here before, but thanks for the new Photoshop images. My only concern is that once the roof is up (as in your second set of photos), you would probably require a rear back-up camera, as rearward visibility will be hard enough with the existing hardtop (non-convertible) rear roof pillars. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts

As with the Mustang, I love the thought of the drop-top but don't actually like the lines as well as the coupe. I think there is a need for a convertible version, however, I think that most of the buyers would take a coupe over a convertible, even if prices were equal. It's hard to say until one is actually seen, it could be very cool.

·
Registered
492 Posts

wyomingcolt said:
As with the Mustang, I love the thought of the drop-top but don't actually like the lines as well as the coupe. I think there is a need for a convertible version, however, I think that most of the buyers would take a coupe over a convertible, even if prices were equal. It's hard to say until one is actually seen, it could be very cool.
So true. Not all vehicles make good convertibles...from a visually appealing standpoint. Take the convertible PT Cruiser for example...it looks simply hideous with the top up. :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts

Mr.DJ said:
So true. Not all vehicles make good convertibles...from a visually appealing standpoint. Take the convertible PT Cruiser for example...it looks simply hideous with the top up. :eek:
Sorry, i have to disagree, even as a convert with the top up,
Peetie is vastly better looking without back doors.
Still no Peetie 2-dr coupe, though, dangit,
despite so many show/concept 2-dr Peeties.
Makes me think DCX would hang back doors on a Challenger..... :mad:

As for Challengers, the original was designed first as a ragtop,
and it was perfect as such [i had one, back then].
The new Challenger is close enough to the classic for that
'born as a convertible' look to carry through.

Sebring ragtop is already old; Challenger ragtop is bound to happen

·
Registered
11 Posts

That Looks HOT! I like that alot and I wouldnt even mind a 6 cyl pushing something that cool. If there was AWD on it too that would be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Sublime 340 said:
Sorry, i have to disagree, even as a convert with the top up,
Peetie is vastly better looking without back doors.
Still no Peetie 2-dr coupe, though, dangit,
despite so many show/concept 2-dr Peeties.
Makes me think DCX would hang back doors on a Challenger..... :mad:

As for Challengers, the original was designed first as a ragtop,
and it was perfect as such [i had one, back then].
The new Challenger is close enough to the classic for that
'born as a convertible' look to carry through.

Sebring ragtop is already old; Challenger ragtop is bound to happen

No reason to be sorry because you disagree with what I had stated; otherwise, we'd just be nothing more than an editorial archive instead of a forum. I much prefer the non-convertible PT Cruiser version myself, but had always hoped that it would've been built as a RWD. It would have made a great little street rod with large rear tires/wheels - staggered set-up. I also liked the 1998 PT Cruiser concept - the 'Pronto' coupe much better as well. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts

Lotta power , thinkin' could use a roll bar ala 71 cuda' convertable. Lovely.

·
Registered
70 Posts

The convertible is like icing on the cake, some people think the rear view may be impeded that doesnt have to be the case, the convertible version if built will prolly be handled by a specialty conversion shop the rear glass piece may end up being a redisigned section depending on the fold in area for the top . If they leave it as is then yes prolly less rear view because the tops have to have some overlap on the glass even if it is a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

·
Registered
492 Posts

I'm sure that the additional required rigidity will also increase the car's weight, but if the final outcome turns-out anything like this, then I just might have to wait for the release of the convertible coupe myself. :cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Has anyone seen the Route 61 Challenger concept conv. on ebay? Well, I bought it. Paid $150 for it and it's worth every penny!!!! First off, it is one of 120 built and as usual with Route 61 diecasts IT IS STUNNING,period. The quality is awesome. Definitly not the kind of quality you find on the shelves at Wallyworld for $15.99. Secondly, and most importantly, I couldn't get over how beautiful this car would be if they offer it in a conv. The lines flow like a river! Dodge would be making the biggest mistake in automotive history if they don't build a Challenger conv. My dream, on Feb. 6 th ,2008 when they roll out the first production Challenger, roll out a Plum Crazy concept conv. (with a white top and interior, of course) and park them side by side. There would be so many flashes going off at one time you would swear Elvis just walked in the room!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
wirewilly said:
Has anyone seen the Route 61 Challenger concept conv. on ebay? Well, I bought it. Paid $150 for it and it's worth every penny!!!! First off, it is one of 120 built and as usual with Route 61 diecasts IT IS STUNNING,period.My dream, on Feb. 6 th ,2008 when they roll out the first production Challenger, roll out a Plum Crazy concept conv. (with a white top and interior, of course) and park them side by side. There would be so many flashes going off at one time you would swear Elvis just walked in the room!
Yeah, and to have WireWilly smack in the driver's seat as the Purple Challenger drifts onto stage !!!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts