Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well only after 8000 miles my stock Goodyear Eagles F1s were about bald in the rear. The fronts were less then 50% also. While I thought the F1s worked well on the SRT they sure wore out quick. Now, I have some fun but I sure don't abuse my tires doing burnouts.

I spent the past few days researching tires. I sure don't want to buy new tires every 8,000 miles but most tires n this size are only rated at 20,000 anyways.

My research led me to buy a set of Toyo Y rated Proxes 4 Plus tires. These tires are rated out to 50,000 miles and have a All Season rating (thus the "plus"). Hell if I get 30,000 out of them I would be happy. My tire dealer said that if after 30,000 the tread is shot I would have a 40% credit towards new ones. COOL.

Didn't have much time with them yet but two things were noticeable immediately.

Smoothness
Traction

These tires hook up much better then the F1s ever did, they give the car a noticeably better ride. I stayed with the stock sizes and run 34lbs. $1154 for a set of four.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I used to run Proxes 4 on my 300C SRT8 and I really liked them. I want a premium brand for my Challenger, but Michelin does not make a 275/40, so I don't know what I will buy, but I would take those Toyos over a lot of other tires people seem to be running...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Better traction is not something I would've expected. Typically longer lasting tires will have less traction due to a hard compound. Also, with a UTQG rating of 520 double what the F1 Supercar is at 260. Therefore, the claim of better traction is also surprising.

I've recently put new F1 Supercar 245's on all corners. The rear 245 F1's replace 275 GY LS2. Even with a smaller width the F1's are drastically more grippy than the wider LS2. The LS2 have a UTQG of 420 which is less than the Proxes 4 rating of 520.

FWIW I hope the traction is in fact better. I want my next set of tires to try be their Proxes ST II which are a lower UTQG rating and thus a higher traction rating but in the size 245/50 and 275/45 that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
That's an interesting preference for tire sizes, I'm going to stay 245/45 up front and go 275/40 rear. I like the idea of a long/skinny contact patch. I think the reason the Proxes 4 grip so well is because of the tread design. I thought they always bit really well, way better then the Goodyear F1s that both of my SRTs came with new.

Be careful about the Proxes ST IIs as they are large/sporty SUV tires, they are heavy and have a difference/worse tread design than the Proxes 4 IMO.

BTW, you can't compare tread wear ratings from manufacturer to manufacturer, only within a specific brand. There is no industry standard on those numbers from what I was told (FWIW)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Well only after 8000 miles my stock Goodyear Eagles F1s were about bald in the rear. The fronts were less then 50% also. While I thought the F1s worked well on the SRT they sure wore out quick. Now, I have some fun but I sure don't abuse my tires doing burnouts.

I spent the past few days researching tires. I sure don't want to buy new tires every 8,000 miles but most tires n this size are only rated at 20,000 anyways.

My research led me to buy a set of Toyo Y rated Proxes 4 Plus tires. These tires are rated out to 50,000 miles and have a All Season rating (thus the "plus"). Hell if I get 30,000 out of them I would be happy. My tire dealer said that if after 30,000 the tread is shot I would have a 40% credit towards new ones. COOL.

I put the Toyo's on mine when the first set need replacement (70,000 tire warranty). They were on for about 5-6 weeks, nice ride, great tread.... BUT they would NOT stay balanced on my car (09 R/T). 2 alignments and 5 re-balancing and off they came. The tire shop had a 30 day replacement if I wasn't happy and they honored it. I then put a set of Pirelli Scorpion P-Zero RFT's and they ran down fast too. Pirelli's are a softer rubber tire and you get a nice comfortable ride but not longevity with the tire itself.

Keep Looking for tires... and be aware of the Toyo problem with balance. I originally ordered the Pirelli's and the company only shipped 3 tires. The Toyo's were offered cheaper because of this. Mine were a great deal... 800 for the set installed.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Huh - I've never had that problem with them. Ran a few sets too.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That's an interesting preference for tire sizes, I'm going to stay 245/45 up front and go 275/40 rear. I like the idea of a long/skinny contact patch. I think the reason the Proxes 4 grip so well is because of the tread design. I thought they always bit really well, way better then the Goodyear F1s that both of my SRTs came with new.

Be careful about the Proxes ST IIs as they are large/sporty SUV tires, they are heavy and have a difference/worse tread design than the Proxes 4 IMO.

BTW, you can't compare tread wear ratings from manufacturer to manufacturer, only within a specific brand. There is no industry standard on those numbers from what I was told (FWIW)
I had 275/45 on the back of my car and with the SRT suspension I have it fills the wheel well very nicely. So it would take a 245/50 to do the same up front. It adds exactly one inch to the overall diameter of the tire. OEM 28.7" versus 29.7 with my proposed sizes. Now that I'm running 245/45 all the way around I can see I either need to go back to a 29.7 tire or lower my car at least 1". Where I live and for daily driver comfort considerations the taller tire ultimately should work better. But at over 500 wheel hp I need to consider traction as well.

Tread design I have no comment on. I don't know what comprises a good one versus a bad one. But brand-brand comparison they have better dry traction and only weigh 6 lbs per tire more or 24 lbs overall. That is about 4 gallons of gas difference. Certainly liveable.

I have read that as well. With that drastic of a difference I would think it would still be an indicator of performance. I would think though that a tire from one manufacturer rated at 260, versus one from another manufacturer at 520, would perform some level better grip even if it is not linear to the UTQG rating.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Huh - I've never had that problem with them. Ran a few sets too.

The tire shop said it was a "problem" with the 09 Challengers...

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts

Didn't have much time with them yet but two things were noticeable immediately.

Smoothness
Traction

These tires hook up much better then the F1s ever did, they give the car a noticeably better ride. I stayed with the stock sizes and run 34lbs. $1154 for a set of four.
If you have staggered tires there only warranted for 22500 miles because you cant do a 4 wheel rotation.http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-4-plus-ultra-high-performance-all-season-tires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts