Dodge Challenger Forum banner

At the dyno

4K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  closeracing 
#1 ·
Doing some tuning. So far were at 663.6 whp and 698 tq. According to the logs timing is only around 9 degrees. Hope to break 700, there should be more in there , I'm running vp110 and straight meth.

#2 ·
Big numbers!!! If I run staright meth (NA'd 392) I end up having to pull too much fuel to keep my A/Fs in the upper 11s thus less power as gas has more BTUs than meth. I do however have intake temps 20 degrees lower than ambient with a 70% meth/30% distilled water mix.
I would think you should be able to run a little more timing with 110 and staright meth. Meth has a lot of octane.
A degree or two boosted may put you where you want to be...

#3 ·
694 whp 715 tq and counting

Reactions: KJ392
#4 · (Edited)
727.7whp and 733 tq. We're done!

Reactions: c26bt34c and LKQ392
#6 ·
13.5. Psi

#7 ·
You had a good day at the dyno closer. Glad you got the motor running well.
Did you flip the numbers above ? you went from 715tq and droped to 633tq and your HP went up as normal.
Wondered if something changed, like the WM or timing, what caused that change.
FT

#8 ·
That was a typo it was 727.7 whp and 733 foot pounds torque

#14 ·
Yohan got us in the ball park and Neil gierach of C&N performance dialed it in.
I never ran the motor without the blower so I don't know what it's like N/A

#10 · (Edited)
727rwhp on a email tune up? 9 degrees timing? That might be the most power ever from a Techco SC. I have to Raise the BS Flag Sorry.

#12 · (Edited)
I was waiting for you to chime in BW, what took you so long?
I was sending logs and getting tunes from Yohan while on the drums and the shop owner did the final tune. Timing ended up @ 15.5 degrees max, A/F is low 11's to mid 10's
We started at 9 degrees, did you really think I was trying for more power without changing anything???

Attachments

#11 ·
if you're running vp 110 and straight meth, you getting a few more degrees of timing in there? I see that you're at 10.6 to 1 CR, so I get timing advance is limited. over 700 hp at nine degrees of timing seems a little "noncorrelated", even with a higher CR. An earlier commenter mentioned the A/f readings, but with the stoich for meth being different than petrol unleaded, it will read richer than it really is once the nozzle is pressurized and spraying. The octane and cool/quench factor makes a little more room for a timing, but its not really pegged in the low 10s when you spray the meth. Good insurance on detonation though.

I do like the slightly higher CR if you're going to keep boost at 12 psi or so. the boost you're seeing could be affected a few pounds by heads as well as CR. Smaller hole fills up faster and all. That's about max boost on a techco on top of a 426, based on available pulleys, and its pretty high # for the set up. Small on top and a really big on the bottom, if you're at 426cid.

Thanks for sharing. The timeslip should tell you where you're at.

#13 · (Edited)
Flattop put out 558 blower only on this dyno and ran 10.87 @127 mph. His car is setup a lot better than mine so I probably wont get his ET but the Mph should be there. Last time I went to the strip my mph was 125 with the knk sensors yanking timing back to 6 degrees. I have a cog drive also which seems to help also. TO my knowledge it's the only one out there

#15 ·
#18 ·
I like the go pro on the the other post closer.
Challyho is one of the few who pushed a techo to its limits. I been in Georges jeep, and ahhh ya.
It rocks !!!!! Really leaves hard on the street!!!!
Heck Closer, all that's left now is when we going to the track ? I good for next weekend.
I have those 17in rims to give you. All ya need is 28x10 Hoosiers your all set.
Course you can barrow mine for a couple passes.
My nittos are about cooked, got some passes yet left in them, you want them ? There 20s and free.
I got the carbon off my pistons so my detnation issue has cleaned up. The new tune up with timing should yeald me 600hp anyway. Then I can spray the 175 pills and see what it nets.
You good for next weekend??? Tulsa or Mokan?? Tulsa might kick me out. No cage
Flattop

#19 ·
Next weekend I'm swapping interior in the wife's car so that's a no go unless something changes. If it does then I'm up for Mokan, if you don't mind the possibility of traillering my car home. again...

#20 ·
Oh and glad you finally got to see the video Flattop

#22 ·
I thought something might be causing the bypass valve to flutter, I'll check it out.
I'm using the largest nozzle snow performance provides. I think the recommendation is up to 550 whp, but it did drop the A/F quite a bit and I'm happy with the results. I think I'll just leave it alone.
Glad to hear your drum #'s. The high #'s I've seen posted did not correlate with the H.P. #'s I was getting from J.R. Krueger at Techco for flywheel H.P. He was the engine builder at Techco and told me with the stage 2 cam, and lower compression they could crank out 750 H.P. all day long @ 7psi. My #'s = 858 at the crank I believe with 18% loss for driveline which makes sense with the bigger cam, higher compression and more boost. Your #'s make sense too going through a transfer case.

#23 · (Edited)
I spoke with the former engine builder for techco and found out my motor is not even close to the record. They had a build that put out over 1000 hp at the crank! At 18% loss for drive line it's around 880 whp.
I also may have discovered the cause of the lost boost around 4800 or so. I had pulled the spring out of the bypass valve for better street manners. Apparently under high boost it can cause the bypass valve to open slightly.
I may fix it add a little more timing strap it back down and see how high it will go:bigthumb:

#24 · (Edited)
I know where that motor is btw it only made a little over 900 at flywheel and that motor never made as much as yours on the drums? I guess you are talking about Billy being the Techno lead engineer and engine builder? I flew out to Techco many times and never met the JR guy?
This is the specs for that engine:
The configuration for the dyno test was as follows:
68004308af
MAP
2Bar SRT4
Inlet Tube
Standard Techco SC Inlet Tube
Pulley
SC: 2.71", Crank: 7.5", 445mm Belt, 114mm Tensioner
TB:
Stock Dodge 80mm
Plugs
NGK Iridium IX Heat Range 7 6510 (Pre-Gapped to .044)
Injectors
Techco 60lb Injectors (Standard in SC Kit)
Fuel Pump
Dyno Pump w/Return Set to 60lbs
Air Filter
Techco SC K&N
Exhaust
Stock Headers, 3" Pipes
Engine
Techco 427, Forged Crank/Rods/Pistons, Cam, Ported Heads
Watch the Video below on the dyno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g89ZAhYVTk

#25 · (Edited)
I remember you telling me about your build, thats not it. The whp numbers you told me = around 32% loss for the driveline???
I think this motor may belong to Malachi. J.R. built his motor and I believe he told me it put 1000 at the crank. He had the record for tbe fastest magnum in the mile. It was a 429 CI build.
J.R. did say it had a cog drive and valve angle and throat work from Ernie Elliot and Malachi had the only cog setup I know of so it may very well be his.
That's strange you never heard of JR. I heard about him on the techco owners group and even though he wasn't on that forum he was well known there. Cam chauvant of CTP knows him and he was very involved with techco. I spoke with techco's calibration engineer and he knows J.R. as well.
I'll ask him who the 1000+ hp motor was for, now I'm curious

I know where that motor is btw it only made a little over 900 at flywheel. And that motor never made as much as yours on the drums? I guess you are talking about Billy being the Techno lead engineer and engine builder? I flew out to Techco many times and never met the JR guy?
This is the specs for that engine:
The configuration for the dyno test was as follows:
68004308af
MAP
2Bar SRT4
Inlet Tube
Standard Techco SC Inlet Tube
Pulley
SC: 2.71", Crank: 7.5", 445mm Belt, 114mm Tensioner
TB:
Stock Dodge 80mm
Plugs
NGK Iridium IX Heat Range 7 6510 (Pre-Gapped to .044)
Injectors
Techco 60lb Injectors (Standard in SC Kit)
Fuel Pump
Dyno Pump w/Return Set to 60lbs
Air Filter
Techco SC K&N
Exhaust
Stock Headers, 3" Pipes
Engine
Techco 427, Forged Crank/Rods/Pistons, Cam, Ported Heads
Watch the Video below on the dyno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g89ZAhYVTk

#26 · (Edited)
John, Russ, Ned, Carlos and Billy were the main players at Techco. Billy was the lead engineer for the Super Chargers and Engine program. The cog drive was around a long time I had a set along will many others. Again never heard of a JR he was never at that facility nor never heard of his name being mentioned. Billy built two 900 hp engines and the Doors closed. Cam never worked for Techco. He helped finished some of the cars once the factory closed.

#27 ·
Dude all of the people you mentioned know j.r personally. I talked to all of them with the exception of Billy. I don't know Billy but i don't doubt he exists. I know they built more than 2 motors and don't believe yours was the baddest to come out of their facility. I really don't care what you believe about j.r. Just because YOU don't know him means nothing. He worked there as an engine builder and it's pretty common knowledge.

#28 ·
Also if the cog drives were around a long time name 5 people who have them. I bought the lower pulley you used on your techco build and it's an 8 rib. Why didn't you use the cog drive if you had one? I'm throwing out the B.S. flag, sorry

#29 · (Edited)
I had 2 sets SHR had 2 sets Trojan had a couple sets and dyno Steve had a couple sets. I gave Flat Top my pulley he sold it to you I guess, not sure how you got it. They only had a hand full of race only hemi engines built and the doors closed. You are talking about 6 years ago technology supercharges that are out dated any way.

#30 · (Edited)
Techno is long gone never coming back. Billy designed some really good stuff in its day. The super charger dyno along with in house rotor design was something special. They were up and coming back in 2008. I really wish the credit crunch and economy crash won't not have crippled them in 2010. Billy was working on a 5 liter able to drive a big motor 40 psi. It never made it to production when the doors closed.

#31 ·
You were right about the cog drive, guess that just because I hadn't heard that more existed doesn't mean they don't exist.
Yeah Techco's doors are closed, they aren't coming back, and compressor technology has been around for a long time.
I'm happy with mine finally it's been a long road

#32 ·
I saw that engine dyno sheet. 900+ to the flexplate. Impressive stuff

Here's some photos to bring you all down memory lane...

Still running on the roads today. with the wavetrac in the front and the Dana 60 w/ eaton true trac in the rear, its really launching stout now.

#33 ·
Awesome! Was that cog setup from Russ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.