Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals im doing lots of hmwk before i buy one of these bad boys (2010 SRT8). I was wondering how much do you guys spend on gas to fill her/him up and how long does a full tank last you on a normal driving basis? not sure if that last part of the question could be answered tho lol.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
14-16 mpg city
20-22 highway
17-19 gal fillup X ??.??=?
There really not bad on gas for what they are. DO IT DO IT

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I drive a lot and I bought my Challenger as a daily driver. I too had concerns about mpg's as SoCal was just coming off of $5.00 per gallon. That was one of the top reasons that I chose an R/T over the SRT.

If you're concerned about gas prices and mpg's, then the SRT is not for you. It all depends on what you are going to be doing with the car. If you like going to the track, then SRT. If you like just cruising around, then the R/T. If you're going to drive it to work everyday, then the R/T. Gotta remember the oil excs are already saying that gas prices are expected to exceed $5.00 per gallon in the near future, and that's for the national average. SoCal is always wayyy above the national average. The R/T auto runs on either 87 or 89 octane (6-speed requires 89). The SRT requires 91+.

Something else to consider. A lot of people adds mods to their Challenger. In fact, an overwhelming majority have. From cold air intakes to cat-back exhaust systems. Those will be added expenses for you that I can almost guaranty that you are going to incur. So you need to factor that into your finances as well.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Hey guys/gals im doing lots of hmwk before i buy one of these bad boys (2010 SRT8). I was wondering how much do you guys spend on gas to fill her/him up and how long does a full tank last you on a normal driving basis? not sure if that last part of the question could be answered tho lol.
The gas tank is 18 gallons . At about 3.23 per gallon expect to pay $58.14 to fill the tank

·
Registered
246 Posts
I run 87 in my 6 speed, and i still get about 28 mpg highway. I've noticed the octane doesnt affect the mileage too much when i'm just cruising.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The owners manual recommends 91 octane for the 6M, 87 octane for the auto. Not sure why the difference.

I've had my car less than a week, but the computer says it's getting 22mpg. That's a 90 mile trip home on interstate, and the rest short trips into town so people can gawk at my car.

If gas $$$$ are a concern to you, then possibly you may want to re-think your purchase a V8 powered muscle car. That said, after 9 speeding tickets I've learned a new way to enjoy driving is to try and maximize the gas mileage. It's as easy as learning to look well in front of the car and anticipate braking circumstances. That said, I still love getting on it on the lonely country road straight stretches and especially Interstate on-ramps. Anywhere else in my area, you speed and you pay. During these tough times the localities are depending on traffic law violations to balance their budgets.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We get 12 mpg in our R/T automatic.....around town everyday driving. I am HIGHLY disappointed! However once on the highway 28 MPG's at 80 miles per hour is normal. :scratchhead:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
With all the mods I have (550RWHP) I'm still getting 22MPG hwy and 17-18MPG city.

However, if gas mileage is at all a concern a Challenger is not the car to buy as a DD imo.

I drive a Honda Accord to work everyday that gets 30MPG and am glad to do so with gas being $3 a gallon lately.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I probably average over 17 MPG. Don't do a lot of HWY driving but some occassionally. If you worried about gas mileage buy a hybrid!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Pssh 14 mpg on the SRT-8? I rarely get 9-10 city but I actually drive the car....Highway is excellent though, I get 18-20 on the auto

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you guys misunderstood me lol... MPG is not an issue on the decision when i buy this car...it was just a think that i was curious about thats all...

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I think you guys misunderstood me lol... MPG is not an issue on the decision when i buy this car...it was just a think that i was curious about thats all...
In that case plan on an average of 18MPG over all and $60 - $70 per fill up depending on gas prices and go forth and melt some tires.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
I probably average over 17 MPG. Don't do a lot of HWY driving but some occassionally. If you worried about gas mileage buy a hybrid!
My Challenger IS a hybrid; it burns oil and tires. :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
If anyone rags on you about driving a "gas guzzling muscle car" "these days:" Simply tell them, "It gets the same gas mileage as every SUV on the road."

That shuts down that conversation in a hurry. Especially if that person is driving one. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, I know that at about $3.40 a gallon for 93, I'm spending around $55. AROUND $55....

So.... I mean, it sucks compared to last year, but it's better than my '07 Chevy Avalanche that pulled a mean $103 out of my pocket summer of '08! With REG no less.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last fill up was $55.75 with a 2010 Challenger SRT8 auto.

I drive like an old man and I still am getting an average of 15mpg. My "mostly hwy" tank netted 15.9mpg.

I currently have roughly 1800 miles on the car and put that on in about a month.

I go to work to make money, but it costs so much money to go to work... Oh the humanity! :p

·
Registered
154 Posts
bought my srt aug 28th 2010 (my birthady) it was full when i drove it off the lot and i am on the second tank of fuel now 20 jan 2011. it only has 603 miles on it. i hope to drive it this weekend if its not raining. i also need to install the new mopar splash guards i just bought for it. do i have to drill any holes? and inspect the rocker panals for cracks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts