Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 PCP Scat Pack w/dynamics
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, noticed my “oil life” was down to around 30%. Wanted to see when you guys typically change out your oil.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
5K miles, give or take

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
When it says to, OR, when you hit the requirements for the warranty, OR if close to either one, and I plan on being under it anyway.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
Once a year.
By the way .... your 392's owner's manual calls for an oil change every 6,000 miles or 6 months - whichever comes first. In the past, FCA has sent memos to service managers reminding them about the time frame required to keep the engine warranty intact.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
684 Posts
By the way .... your 392's owner's manual calls for an oil change every 6,000 miles or 6 months - whichever comes first. In the past, FCA has sent memos to service managers reminding them about the time frame required to keep the engine warranty intact.
I'm well aware what my owners manual says as far as when oil changes are supposed to be done. However my car sits from October to April and I'm not changing the oil in the Spring with 0 miles on the car since the last oil change. Oil doesn't go bad just sitting in the crankcase.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
I'm well aware what my owners manual says as far as when oil changes are supposed to be done. However my car sits from October to April and I'm not changing the oil in the Spring with 0 miles on the car since the last oil change. Oil doesn't go bad just sitting in the crankcase.
You're correct. Oil doesn't go "bad," just the warranty. Lol

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Hey guys, noticed my “oil life” was down to around 30%. Wanted to see when you guys typically change out your oil.
The factory I believe calls for 6K or 6 month oil changes. I suppose it could be possible for the oil life to reach 0 before 6K miles has been accumulated. If I used the oil life in this case I'd change the oil probably at some point before 10% thus allowing a bit of margin. Or I'd change the oil after 6 months and less than 6K miles regardless of what the oil life was.

However, I change the oil at 5K miles (do not know what the oil life monitor reads other than I'm sure it does not read 0%: Have around 2300 miles on the current oil and the oil life is at 60%, but I will have the oil changed soon as of 7/21 it will be 6 months since the last oil change) or every 6 months if I do not drive 5K miles in 6 months.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Dodge does not take into account those rare owners who do not put any real miles on a car for 6 months. You can of course chose to ignore the 6 month oil change requirement.

If in the I grant you unlikely chance of an engine problem that results in a warranty claim if you can document the oil was changed just before storage and the oil had "zero" miles on it when you resumed driving you might be ok. Maybe.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It would depend on driving habits also. Normal then just go with factory recommendations. Drive it hard everyday and race it then change frequently. Oil will break down sooner with hard driving. Ive changed oil in a month, but car was driven very hard and raced often. Also dont go cheap, use a full synthetic oil and if your concerned about the engine take the time to drain the filter good and cut it open to examine the filter element.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
I think mileage is the best tell if you daily drive/drive often unless you do severe duty as mentioned above. Otherwise at least once a year if low mileage. I put about 4,000 miles a year on mine, so I change it once a year (that's also the warranty requirement, I have a Lifetime warranty to maintain)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Yeah, in that 6 months you (hopefully) spent a lot more on your car insurance, and basically that is what a $70 oil change is, engine insurance, provided by MOPAR.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
Okay my wife's car (she's had it 1 month) was almost 6 months old when she bought it. i=It has a little over 1k on the odometer. She bought an extended warranty. Does she need to change the oil now because it, (the oil), is over 6 months old? If she finds out that her warranty is voided can she demand they pro rate and refund what she paid for it? If she traded the car in they would.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I change my oil at 5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I honestly don't trust the oil life monitoring systems in ANY vehicle. With my other car, GM was constantly updating it because the cars were going too long between oil changes - which actually caused timing chain "stretch" issues that they eventually found were caused by oil change intervals that were too long (I'm talking about the GM 3.6L direct-injected engine for those that are familiar with GM engines).

Granted, our Challengers don't use direct injection, which seems to be harder on oil, but still, doing an oil change once or twice a year isn't going to break the bank and is something that that only do good.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Okay my wife's car (she's had it 1 month) was almost 6 months old when she bought it. i=It has a little over 1k on the odometer. She bought an extended warranty. Does she need to change the oil now because it, (the oil), is over 6 months old? If she finds out that her warranty is voided can she demand they pro rate and refund what she paid for it? If she traded the car in they would.
Warranty starts the day you purchased it not how long it's been sitting on a lot.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
Consensus is that the clock starts when you sign the Bill of Sale on a new vehicle.

It points out a double standard in FCA’s warranty. Oil apparently doesn’t degrade sitting on a dealer’s lot ... only when the car is sitting in your garage for the winter.

So, riddle me this ... I bought my ‘15 SRT from a FCA dealer in December of 2017 as a Certified Pre-Owned. It only had 1,367 miles on it. The story was a “snowbird” drove the car from Ohio to Florida when it was brand new and then left it garaged in Florida for two years until he traded it on a Hellcat. I’ve been faithful with the maintenance, but I doubt it had an oil change during those two years. So.... is the warranty on a pre-owned vehicle effected by the service that’s not done by a previous owner?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
My (392) calls for 6k or 6 months intervals with full synthetic as what's required. I change when it reaches the end of its run, which the first 6 times have been at the 6K mark.

That's a very conservative oil change interval, especially with a synthetic. No need to go any shorter in my circumstances.

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
You're correct. Oil doesn't go "bad," just the warranty. Lol
I'm pretty sure they say 6 months because they want you to come in and spend money for their expensive oil changes. I never take my car the dealer for an oil change and if you do it yourself there's no way for them to know when you changed it.

When I bought my Challenger l, i got it in lin Arizona. I live in Nevada.

They called me after 4 months to schedule an oil change. I told them I live in another state and would not be taking it there.

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat
1 - 20 of 38 Posts