Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me apologize up front, cause i'm sure that this is going to go longer than it should.....

I ordered my 2018 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 on June 13th... that was the first day that the "23x" package was available in the ordering system. I was anxious, excited, and told everyone i knew that i was finally going to get the car i had wanted for years... When i placed my order there was no pricing available yet for the 2018's but that didn't bother me...

I also knew going into it that the first day of manufacturing for the 2018's was going to be July 24th. On July 3rd, the dealership called me and said that they have pricing etc.. i drove to the dealer to get a copy of the updated order form. On it was the VIN number ( which i now know by heart ), all the pricing ( the MSRP for the 18 of my spec was EXACTLY the same price as the 2017 version). Also on that document was a status code of "D1" and an "estimated ship date of 7-26. Needless to say, i was even more excited...

7-27 I was traveling on business, but went to the Dodge chat line expecting to hear the car is now in JB or KZ or something good... BUT to my dismay, the person on the other side of the chat said my car is in "D" status with no ship date. When I asked what happened, i got no answer that explained anything. I called the dealership, and they were unaware that the car had regressed.. SO, my excitement has now moved to confusion..

Days go by, i'm now a regular on the chat line, but everyday brings the same answer... "D" status with no ship date, and no explanation on what is going on.... August 10th, my confusion has progressed to frustration... ( apparently i progress faster than the car does in stages...). SO, i take it upon myself to write a letter to Tim Kiniskus, head of SRT for dodge. It was a very polite, and professional letter expressing my excitement, sharing my frustration, and asking for help... Tim's response to me... oh wait.. i never got one.. ( more frustration...).

Finally, it moved to D1 mid August, THEN the Friday before labor day, they started actually built the car..( i shudder to think what can happen to a car that starts production on a Friday before a holiday weekend...). According to Dodge Customer Cares chat line, it went JB on September first.. ( btw, they should change the name from customer care, to i'm going to give you the same canned answers everytime you reach out to us. )

Several trips to the dealership, they finally escalate to their DM to see whats going on.... crickets... Several more attempts with the customer cares chat line... same canned answers. Friday September 15th, I sent an email to Tim Kiniskus, hoping that he can help.. ( expectations are low for that email based upon previous correspondence ). BTW.. there are many of you that have ordered your 2018 T/A AFTER me, and are driving them already... CONGRATS to all of you, i cant wait to join you with that!!! AND there are now 2018 T/A's sitting on dealer lots...

Today, I once again reached out to the same customer care chat line, and got the SAME answer ( now 17 days in JB with no information), and i lost it....

I'm ok if someone keeps me in the loop on progress, or what they are doing, and when progress will be made, but NOTHING, its just order the car, and wait... I have been in technology sales for 34 years, and if i treated my customers the way i feel i am being treated, i wouldn't have ANY customers left... I want my customers "buying experience" to be the best thing they remember, so they come back and buy again and again..

Im writing this, partially out of EXTREME FRUSTRATION ( inches away from being out right PISSED ), AND to ask ANYONE, if they have any suggestions on what to do... I am STILL anxious to drive this car.. i really am.. it is just beyond anything i have ever experienced before..

SO throwing this out there... HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, last September, I ordered a car and because of "paint" availability (or lack there of) I did not receive my car until Dec 19th!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I saw my new Jazz Blue Challenger SRT 392 6M in the dealership for the 1st time on Monday July 18th 2016. Admittedly, I really wasn't looking for a new Challenger at the time as I was in the dealership to have my 2012 Jeep GC repaired. Once I saw this car though it was all over! I drove the car home on Friday July 22nd and couldn't be happier!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Production of cars with a 6 speed manual didn't start until 8-25-17. Any car with graphics takes longer.

I ordered my 6 speed scat on 6-12-2017. It's not here yet. The estimated time of delivery is 9-25 through 10-01.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
If you can't get a solid answer from your dealer, they should be the ones doing the leg-work for you...hahahaha....go find one on another dealers lot in the color, hopefully with the options, you want, and buy it from the other dealer. When the dealer you ordered from calls you to tell you your car is ready, drive the one you bought in and tell them to cram it. Not that they won't be able to sell the one you ordered, but come on. Dealers really need to take care of the people plopping down $40-$50k on a car. Hell, on those spending 20K too.

Then again, like the post above says, the "manual" production didn't start till late August. But still, someone should have given you updates and info.

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
Good old JB status. Chrysler saving a buck. Chrysler probably has no idea what the hold up is in JB status because it is an outside contractor. I'm sure someone could call them and put a rush on it, but they probably never find out what exactly is going on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Production of cars with a 6 speed manual didn't start until 8-25-17. Any car with graphics takes longer.

I ordered my 6 speed scat on 6-12-2017. It's not here yet. The estimated time of delivery is 9-25 through 10-01.

Thanks for letting us know about the M6... questions.. how did you find out??? why didn't my dealer know that and update me?? and why didn't the dodge cares chat line provide me appropriate answers ( I know, I know.. why is the sky blue...)? I guarantee you i would have toned it all down IF someone, anyone, had provided me with info on what is going on... but thanks for letting us know... on a side note.. do you know why the M6 was delayed???? unless i'm missing something, its the same tranny that went into the 2017's...

·
Registered
346 Posts
OK sit down and take a deep breath. It will get here eventually. Based on my experience your VIN number may not be the same as the one you have memorized. After my car was in JB status for a month (and Dodge Customer Service told me that my car was a dealer order) I got really pissed off and went to the dealer to cancel. They said they were about to call me when I walked in (ha). Apparently GE wrecked my car and they had to replace it (different VIN). When the dealer got an invoice for TWO T/A's is when they got off their ass. It is a small dealership and they had a hard enough time with one.

On the bright side from the time they assigned the new VIN to the time the car was finished and ready to ship was 5 days. Shows what they can do when they want to. BTW I love the car and am glad I did not cancel.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Don't waste your time writing to Tim Kiniskus, he's too busy making a deal to sell everything to China. Then you'll really have fun trying to track down you car.... :surprise:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about the M6... questions.. how did you find out??? why didn't my dealer know that and update me?? and why didn't the dodge cares chat line provide me appropriate answers ( I know, I know.. why is the sky blue...)? I guarantee you i would have toned it all down IF someone, anyone, had provided me with info on what is going on... but thanks for letting us know... on a side note.. do you know why the M6 was delayed???? unless i'm missing something, its the same tranny that went into the 2017's...
I actually found out on the Hellcat forum. It was a supplier side, production shortage on the transmission.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually found out on the Hellcat forum. It was a supplier side, production shortage on the transmission.
I did some additional digging, it appears Tremec MOVED their production facility during the month of August to a new state of the art manufacturing facility. Not saying it was a cause for the delay, but it could have had an impact...

Transmission Supplier TREMEC Moves to New Facility

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Goodl LUCK!

·
Premium Member
9,671 Posts
Very good news, it'll be here soon enough now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not that this is necessarily the same but did you order something unique (like the car cover). I say this because in 2011 I ordered a Mustang and waited almost 6 months for it to be built and shipped. Turned out the free car cover Ford was giving away for my GT/CS was out of stock. Ford would not build the car unless they could deliver it with the cover. I couldn't believe they held back the whole car for a cover - but they did. My convertible was delivered in January.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I feel your pain. It's really, really hard to wait for an ordered car, but it's worth it to get exactly what you want. I ordered my '18 on August 10th, still in D status. I was told it was because of paint, but see that same color on dealer lots. Chrysler has totally crappy logistics, the worst I've seen of any car maker. But what are you going to do if you don't want to settle?

BTW, M6s are on hold until mid October.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I feel your pain. It's really, really hard to wait for an ordered car, but it's worth it to get exactly what you want. I ordered my '18 on August 10th, still in D status. I was told it was because of paint, but see that same color on dealer lots. Chrysler has totally crappy logistics, the worst I've seen of any car maker. But what are you going to do if you don't want to settle?

BTW, M6s are on hold until mid October.
Jon, do you have a 392 T/A on order?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Jon, do you have a 392 T/A on order?
No, Challenger Hellcat Wide Body in F8 Green, A8, rear seat delete, summer tires.

Reactions: Fawls and Slidd

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,028 Posts
Your story sounds very familiar to me, I ordered a 2013 SRT Core in Hemi Orange, six months latter I got my 2014 SRT Core in Torred. My story is very long also and I won't bother with all the details, but it involved many calls and emails to Dodge assistance and the folks at SRT and like you nobody ever knew anything or why my car wasn't being built. At one point they told me my order had been cancelled (I wanted to know who cancelled it because it certainly wasn't me), then I was told it was going to be built as a 2014 in Header orange (not what I ordered and nobody bothered to contact me at that time to see what color I wanted to change it too). Finally I changed the color to Torred as Hemi Orange was no longer available and after six long months during which I almost gave up multiple times and during which no one could ever give me an explanation as to what the problem was, the car was finally delivered.

During that wait I saw other SRT Cores built and delivered, including a few 2013 Hemi Orange cars built basically the same as the car I ordered and no the dealers that were receiving them weren't interested in doing a dealer trade with my dealer. The only help I actually got from Dodge occured just as I was about ready to give up, I got a call from a woman at SRT, she had read my file and decided to give me a call. She helped me change the color of the car on the order and tried to get one of the dealers that had a Core to trade to my dealership (no such luck in that area as apparently Chrysler doesn't have any pull with their dealers lol). The end result was I got my car (not exactly as originally ordered) and I've been very happy with it, but was pretty disappointed with the way Chrysler handled the whole deal.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
No, Challenger Hellcat Wide Body in F8 Green, A8, rear seat delete, summer tires.
A Mean, Green Machine...!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Where did the info come from that 6 speed cars are now delayed until mid October? A previous post here stated that M6 cars started production on Aug 25th after about a month long delay.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts