Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK , I am a resident of NY , and we have a front plate law , which sucks but hey what can you do? I havwe been working on modifing an aftermarket plate bracket from my Corvete to fit my new black beauty and finally got some time to play around today, I was looking at the car while it was on the lift and had an idea, went to the trunk where the smart salesperson left the front plate bracket ( no holes in my bumper, thank God!). SOO I temped up this setup and stood back and then went for it. What did it cost??? NOTHING, I had the bracket and some nylon wire ties so here is what I did. I recently redid this mod using a plastic wire type tie from HVAC system,I am now confident that the front end will come off before the plate !! , the ties are 36" long and about a half inch wide,. works like a charm and since I was having rust issues with the bolts up front, rust is not a concern. I have some extras and any local Long Island guys who would like one, can stop by and we can hook it up and tickets are no longer an issue!!
I must add that since I have done this mod and lived with the plate in this position, I LOVE it there, it is kinda retro to where we had the plates in the 70's when we had to avoid tickets then :)
1: depending on the length of the wire tie you have, ( I put 2 short ones together to make 1 long one)and count four fins off center, place tie thru the hole and.... go fish!!! start here...
2:fish the tie over four fins off center in the other direction, and pull it thru, It should look like this

Then take the plate bracket, pull the ties thru from behind and put them together and pull tight, trim off excess, looks like this when done

Then mount the plate on the bracket, make sure the screws just thread into the nylon nut that pushes in the hole, if you go too far you will make ugly marks behind bracket, finished product looks like this

so what do you think??? You can take it off and on as much as you want and no $80 bracket to buy:woot:
If you look close you see the bracket is not touching except top and bottm so it will not scuff any areas where it would bum you out:SM127:

ATTN, fellow forum member jjheldt, has improved on this idea and used toggle bolts, which is a nice solid metal way to go

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Good idea in case i have to put my on...

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Simple is beautiful. Well done.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Great idea! I am also a New Yorker and will have to deal with this issue. Were did you get the plastic bracket again, Chevy? and for what year and make car?

·
Registered
422 Posts
B-body this shoudl come with your car... mine was in the trunk in a baggy...

this is an excellent idea... We no longer have to do this where i am but if it goes back i'll keep it in mind... thats a nice lifting unit you have there :D

PS you should take some pics with those phat rims on it:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hazchris

Nice solution.

I took delivery last night and am glad the dealer did not want to drill. I was a little hesitant because I will be on the NYS thruway in a couple hours.

I hit the forum late last night and installed in the dark this AM.

Thanks again you rock.

RED

·
Registered
553 Posts
nice!! In in NY too... unfortunatly the dealer had already installed the bracket for the plate :( but this could be a nice mod to do. then I can have the body shop fill in the holes.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I live in Cali and I havnt had a front plate on for a very long time. In fact when I got a speeding ticket in my Tacoma the cop didnt even mention me not having a front plate... he also didnt mention that my front windows were limo-tinted. For me its not a big deal. I'de rather leave the front plate off and if I get a ticket I'll just pay the fine.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I'm just not going to put any plates on the car at all. I still have not put the plates on my Shelby GT500 and I have had it for a year now. I'm just going see how long I can go with no plates on the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used 2 pcs of threaded drill rod about 8" long, and then welded a very thin piece of steel 2" wide by 9" long to the ends of the drill rod, popped 2 holes in the bracket and pushed it through, the bracket is hidden by the plate, used washers and nuts to hold it on

Scott

·
Super Moderator
14,138 Posts
The nylon straps are a great idea. I live in New Jersey and have been trying to figure out a way to mount the license plate bracket without making holes in the bumper.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I looks great but what about cooling in the hot summer. You are blocking the lower air intake. It might be fine now in the winter but what about when it is 90 outside?

·
Super Moderator
14,138 Posts
There may be enough air flowing through the upper portion of the grill. If an over-heating problem arises, it can be easily removed. It's worth taking a chance.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I'll take a chance on no plate rather taking a chance on overheating my engine. I did read somewhere that they had cooling problems in the design stages of the Challenger so I think they are cuting a fine line here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
also in ny.....i'm going to have the new plate copied in vinyl and apply it to the lower section.did it on the wifes stealth after a repaint worked great

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great idea! I am also a New Yorker and will have to deal with this issue. Were did you get the plastic bracket again, Chevy? and for what year and make car?
I had purchased an aftermarket bracket, BUT the one in the ics is the STOCK front from Dodge, hopefully in your trunk when you hot the car:bigthumb: I know the OP is tough to read, check it out all the info is there, it took 5 minutes to do, just let me know if you have any questions:bigthumb:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looks great but what about cooling in the hot summer. You are blocking the lower air intake. It might be fine now in the winter but what about when it is 90 outside?
I am pretty confident that the air will get where it needs to go, it is blocking direct flow on a few square inches, but he air is flowing back there when the car is moving, if you start a car in 100 degrees and park it it will not over heat so I think it'll be fine. I may just keep the plate off, who knows:alf:If you look closely at the side view, you can see it is off the bumper slightly, and completely open behind it. I think the a/c receiver dryer is behind there, radiator is behind the big upper grill

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B-body this shoudl come with your car... mine was in the trunk in a baggy...

this is an excellent idea... We no longer have to do this where i am but if it goes back i'll keep it in mind... thats a nice lifting unit you have there :D

PS you should take some pics with those phat rims on it:D
I would if they would fit, the rims are an extra set of Nitto 555rII drag radials, and they were great on my Vette, I wish the bolt pattern and offset were the same:(, know any C5 owners looking for some wheels? I have them for sale and was taking pics, I ope they are gone soon , I can buy a CAI for the Chally:facelick:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used 2 pcs of threaded drill rod about 8" long, and then welded a very thin piece of steel 2" wide by 9" long to the ends of the drill rod, popped 2 holes in the bracket and pushed it through, the bracket is hidden by the plate, used washers and nuts to hold it on

Scott
PICS??? Please !!!!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts