Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased used 2012 Yellow Jacket with all the options including the Harmon Kardon Stereo and there are some cables that are seen from the trunk that are coiled up in a pocket in the back of the rear seat on the Driver's side. 2 of them have an RCA 1/4" Male plug on them, 2 are what looks to be abput 13 Gauge Stranded wires and one thin one that looks to be about 18 Gauge Stranded......I can not find reference to them in the manual....what the heck are they for???

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just purchased used 2012 Yellow Jacket with all the options including the Harmon Kardon Stereo and there are some cables that are seen from the trunk that are coiled up in a pocket in the back of the rear seat on the Driver's side. 2 of them have an RCA 1/4" Male plug on them, 2 are what looks to be abput 13 Gauge Stranded wires and one thin one that looks to be about 18 Gauge Stranded......I can not find reference to them in the manual....what the heck are they for???
I would put money on them being part of the former owner's aftermarket audio system. On the upside if you wanted to run a subwoofer system you might already have the wires run.

For an aftermarket amplifier you'd need a large power and large ground (around 4 gauge), either 1 or a pair of RCA male plugs from either a line output converter (LOC) or an aftermarket head unit, a pair of speaker wires to run to the subs in the 12-16 gauge range, and a remote turn on lead that can be much smaller (18 gauge would be adequate). You're missing the power and ground wires, which probably ran directly to the battery and so the previous owner could easily remove them (they tend to be a little expensive).

What you'd want to figure out is if he was running a line output converter or if he used an aftermarket head unit. If he used a LOC then it's probably installed near the stock amplifier, which is under the steering column (pictured here)

That silver box is the factory amplifier in my Sound Group I car. I believe most of them are located in the same place regardless of the factory option. The LOC would most likely be installed nearby as it taps into the oem amp for a signal source. It's only a couple of screws to check.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts