Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Challenger R/T blacktop with the 6 speed manual transmission and sunroof. Those are the only options. (No Sirius/XM which is fine with me.) The standard sound system isn't very good. I sounds fuzzy/muffled. Not nice and clear. My 2003 Subaru had a better standard sound system. I'm not looking for a top line sound system, or anything that can be cranked really loud, but I would like something that's better than this. I'd want it installed too. I've never done a sound system upgrade after buying a car. The 2006 Charger R/T that I traded in came with a factory installed upgraded sound system. Does it just need speaker upgrades? Is there a set of speakers or sound system upgrade that is a good value that many people recommend? Thanks for any feedback or recommendations.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought this set for my 2018 with base audio.

This set includes the 6x9"s in the doors and 3.5" speakers in the dash. With that said, if you're mainly concerned with adding a little clarity and aren't planning on doing a full audio system, I'd just replace the 3.5"'s in the dash and see where that gets you.

The lack of clarity is due to the fact that there is not a single tweeter in the entire car. The dash has full range paper cone speakers and the doors are just midbass. The rear deck speakers are just bigger versions of the dash speakers but they are okay for rear fill. The biggest improvement for me was replacing the dash speakers with 3.5" speakers that contain a small midrange and a tweeter. 99% of the 3.5"s on the market fit that description.

You're also going to have to determine what type of tweeter you like. Some folks have gone with Infinity Reference speakers that contain a metal dome tweeter. Many people don't like them because they can sound tinny and piercing to the ear. The Kenwoods I linked above have soft dome tweeters which tend to be more tame and balanced on the high end. If you're also looking to improve bass response you should swap out the 6x9's in the doors as well. Replacing the rear speakers won't yield much improvement at all. I just left mine alone.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've used Infinity Reference speakers for upgrade in a couple cars. Both as part of a complete custom-tuned build and as simple replacements. I think they are a best value for the dollar. You can go to a simple speaker upgrade and see what you like and add bits like amps and sub later without too much effort. Really adding new 3.5" speakers in teh dash makes a huge difference. The upgrading the 6x9's in the doors makes the next biggest difference. If you go all the way to adding amps and subs it can get a bit complicated. Don't let an installer sell you things you don't need. A little research on Crutchfield and SonicElectronix and on this and the Charger Forums can teach you a lot and you can go in to the shop educated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts