Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a music lover, have been all my life. Haven't toyed around with a system since I was a young pup. (63yo now)
I am in awe how crappy the Alpine system is in a new $45k car. Unbelievable. I don't necessarily want more volume, just some enhanced bass and a better quality sound.
My question: is there a simple/unobtrusive box/unit I can stow in the trunk, hook up a ground and a hot to the handy battery in the rear, and just pick up audio inputs from the rear speakers that will sound good? A nice improvement? I just don't wanna deal with pulling pillars, changing out speakers, causing possible rattles, etc, and not crazy about having a professional do it charging mega bux and also risking a shitty install.
Any suggestions for any easy, notable upgrade? As always, tia....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I honestly do not think the alpine sound is bad then again I remember 80s and 90s audio systems. I added 2 subs to my car ind it made a huge difference. If you just want to add nice lows you can get away with a single sub. I like to be a little noisey now and again so bigger is better. I have read swapping out the dash speakers is a solid upgrade for highs but so far I have not needed to I may do it for grins at some point though.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Adjust your settings. Use the extreme setting on each and see what appeals most. I turned off the surround sound on mine and it made a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Scat Pack Plus wide body, A8
338 Posts
What are the different radio options across the trim levels? I’m no radio expert. 🤗

My 2020 Scat wide body plus has Harmon Kardon speakers and a sunk trunk subwoofer.

I always thought the music was superb… then again, my hearing is no longer the best.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't be "totally" opposed to a unit sitting on back seat, but not really liking the idea either. Also, these newer audio / controller headunits make me nervous when it comes to external add-ons also. I just don't know enough.
What are the different radio options across the trim levels? I’m no radio expert. 🤗

My 2020 Scat wide body plus has Harmon Kardon speakers and a sunk trunk subwoofer.

I always thought the music was superb… then again, my hearing is no longer the best.
I'm pretty sure that is the best you can get factory. My Alpine is very flat.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had the base system with no amp. Just yanked it all and started from scratch with aftermarket equipment. I just started out wanting something “pretty good”. I used to do car audio installs in college and I wound up getting the bug again. So I’m in for about 5k now but it sounds amazing!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I've payed with the "equalizer". Helped a tiny bit. Not aware of the surround setting??? Maybe if I find it, turn it off, might be better enough. Lol thanx guys.
BTW, I know it's not just me. I've seen plenty of FB posts bitchin about it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Scat Pack Plus wide body, A8
338 Posts
I found this, for 2020 Challengers (copy/paste)

With the sound systems for the Challenger, you can enjoy a concert hall-like listing experience for journeys. This includes the 6-speaker Alpine audio system with a 276-watt digital amplifier, the 9-speaker Alpine audio system with a 506-watt digital amplifier, and the 18-speaker Harman Kardon audio system with a 900-watt digital amplifier.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congrats man, but I don't, that's why the post I made. Hoping somebody else with the Alpine has found an easy, inexpensive fix. I'm really glad ya got the good one though!
Hey man sorry I was just making the point that its a decent system, if you want to go the factory route via assembling parts through eBay or the salvage yard route. I’ve got no idea on upgrading it inexpensively, as my experience with aftermarket systems has been anything but inexpensive to get quality sound. Hope you get some good answers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's how it starts. It's easy to add a sub but you may notice that the factory speakers won't be able to keep up with the bass. You can then swap those speakers out but you're still dealing with the factory dsp settings and bass rolloff. I always tell people that it's all or nothing with these cars.

·
Registered
2021 scatpack shaker widebody white
42 Posts
I’ve got the Harman Kardon and it’s quite good for a factory system. No desire to upgrade.
I’ve had my 2022 widebody scat with the HK for a month now and I can’t wait to gut it …absolutely horrible bass (boom is not quality) the time differential is way off making music sound so bizarre as well
I just picked up a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 sound processor with the maestro wire harness to seamlessly upgrade ..it’s a start

1 - 15 of 15 Posts