Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this is normal, but my auto door locks seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to locking.

The manual says they lock at 20mph or something like that, but min don't seem to care about speed. If I accelerate slowly they may not lock until 45mph. If I take off pretty hard they lock usually on the first try, but if I'm driving "normally" and taking off at a slow pace, it may take a couple stops or a pretty good speed (mentioned 45mph) before they auto lock.

Anyone else have something similar going on with theirs?

BTW mine is a 2011 Rallye.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noticed the same thing, although I've never managed to get it up to 45, usually only around 30 or so idling through my neighborhood. Thought it was peculiar but also amusing, since as soon as I actually accelerate, or it shifts gears they'll usually lock.

[2010 R/T]

~S

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
All these dumb "options", if I want my doors locked I flip the switch, maybe if it was a mini van then it would be a safety issue but a performance car it's not needed.

Reactions: BlkSEbase

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Mine do the same thing. Ill be taking it to the dealer next week and will aask about it and let u know.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Mine does the same.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
My 2009 car is the same way. I always drive with a very light foot while my car is warming up. The doors don't lock, even when I get up to 65 mph on the highway (on my way to work). Until I activate the cruise control; then they lock right away. Or if at any time I accelerate a little more strongly, the doors will lock.

I don't like the nanny features either, but it doesn't really bother me since the doors unlock by themselves as soon as I pull on the interior door handle to get out.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Mine work just fine, always seem to lock at about 10 MPH.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
You can set/change this in Personal Settings. Mine are set to lock at 15mph and they do. Locked doors are an extra level of protection in a crash.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
I don't believe that is correct. Whether locked or not the latch will hold the door unless the sheet metal tears away.
I forget the name for it but the latch striker and lock are built to a certain government tolerance just like the brake pedal is built from a certain mandated grade of steel.
If in a wreck and the doors are locked they have to break a window which can pepper an occupant with broken glass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my opinion auto locks are good at stopping a car jacking. Yes they can just break the window but most of the time they run up to the car when your at a stop and open the door. It's not a safety thing for the people inside. The locked door opens when you pull the handle on most vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
We all realize it's a setting but they do not lock when they r supposed to. I can make it almost all the way home from work and they wont lock at speeds of 50

1 - 17 of 17 Posts