Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most know I work for a Dodge dealer. I have a question for the members.

Anyone in the cold regions seeing a problem with the windows freezing causing the windows not to complete the auto-down function? The result is ; when closing the door, the window hangs up and cracks the upper belt trim panel. The customer can hear the window motor engaging, but the window stays up. There's a couple STAR feedback cases, but nothing conclusive. Any experiences???

Thanks, Gar

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
top of the door panel section. Used to be only serviced in a complete door panel. Now we can get the upper panel, or "belt moulding" separately. I have a call into our local area tech advisor, but thought I would throw it out to see if there are similar issues.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Isn't there a thread somewhere about a TSB regarding rubber sticking to window in cold climate? Or is this something else?

Found it:
TT9002047 … 0809 … Door glass freezes to outer belt molding when vehicle subjected to rain then freezing temperatures (Application of (AQUAPEL) glass treatment to the outer door glass surface)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

Yes, I saw that, although it is under a different case number on 8-4-2010 in the Chrysler system (Dealer Connect).

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
This issue has been talked about in quite a few threads. Canadians especially have this issue. I had my first run in with it this week actually.

·
Registered
466 Posts
happens alot in the northeast area here

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yes fasbird! Both froze up this morning. Been treating them regularly with Gummi-Phlege and or silicone spray. Window glass and seals + water barrier. Have not cracked anything YET! This is really starting to pi$$ me off! Got any suggestions or just curious?

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I have the same problem. I carry a small thin plastic putty knife with me. Slide the putty knife between the window and rubber molding where the glass goes down in the door on the outside of the door. That will take car of the ice that forms there and your window will work properly. Do this before opening the door. Also apply a lot of Gummi-Pflege to the rubber molding. This helps a lot. Unless you have a garage, you are going to have this problem all winter.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the first time we have encountered this, so I was looking to see if any of your dealerships have done anything to rectify the issue.

We were considering the Rain-X route this morning, due to it being similar to the Aquapel product. It's worth a try at this point.

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Might sound corny to some, but at our shop, it's all about taking care of the customer.

Gar

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had this happen to me this morning. Not sure why as the car has sat outside for well over a year and we have had far colder days here but when I went to open the door I thought I had pulled the window out of the door. My upper door belt molding is cracked as well but that happened before this.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both my inner belt moldings cracked before any cold weather, It did it in the summer And when the drivers side panel was changed by the dealer my auto down stopped.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Hey Hemiwoman.... I had my window freeze for the first time this past week and I did use the product you have used. I have a plastic putty knife in the car AND at work. I used the putty knife and that did help.

What a pain.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Dang, I live in South Carolina and it's going down in the 'teens' again tonight. Barely got above freezing for 4 days now. You guys have got me afraid to open the door tomorrow - guess I'll wait til 3 PM when it thaws out some more. Bummer but thanks for the info. We southerners need all the advice we can get.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Same thing happened to me this morning. Used the heater, and it seems the window moves now...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I experienced this also and live in South Carolina. I thought I broke the glass when I slammed the door to get it closed. I went to the dealer and they said they hadn't heard of it before. I'm gonna check the belt trim, hopefully it didn't crack. I may try the rain-x method first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Both my inner belt moldings cracked before any cold weather, It did it in the summer And when the drivers side panel was changed by the dealer my auto down stopped.

Mine did this too. I took the car back to the dealer and they had to order a part for it. This issue has been on some of the forums, too. For whatever reason, when the dealers are replacing the trim, the auto down stops working. It's something your dealer should repair.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts