Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My first post, woot! Been reading for a while. I just got an automatic 2010 RT and it's waaaaaay too quiet. I'm looking into deleting the resonators and I'm hearing that the automatics are more prone to drone. I got a quote for 70$ to delete them. I went to get it done today, but figured I would ask about it first and stopped myself.

While I'm not sensitive to my ears at all....my wife does ride with me a small amount. I drive 10min to work. I don't drive on long trips.

And also I seen a thread that contains information on using insulation in the trunk to muffle the drone a bit.

Ok my question is :

How annoying on a scale of 1-10 would the drone be with and without the insulation? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have a '13 R/T auto, and I bought the Blasting Bob 2 1/4" kit with glasspacks and I think it's perfect. It's not very loud, but so much better than stock was. No drone to speak of, but the car has a much deeper sound to it. The only time I hear drone is when I start the car and it's in neutral. It's a loud drone, but goes away as soon as I put it in gear. Anymore drone and I don't think that I would like it at all. It is my daily driver though, and I put a lot of miles.

2009-14 Dodge, Challenger, 5.7L ,4db ,resonated, kit, 2014,2011,2012,2010,2009

These are also an option to get that perfect sound...........

BBK : adjustable varitune mufflers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks man, much appreciated.

I won't have a cat back, just a simple res delete, but hopefully it won't be worse.

Thanks rajunz. I was thinking about going with BLastin bobs also. A lot cheaper at the muffler shop tho lol... But I may go with that to be sure I don't get annoyed as hell with drone..... I'm not sure drone would bother me though.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I did it and hated it. I ordered a Flowmaster cat back kit the next day!! That said, had I known about the Predator to shut off the MDS it may have been better...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it and hated it. I ordered a Flowmaster cat back kit the next day!! That said, had I known about the Predator to shut off the MDS it may have been better...
I'm gonna get a predator soon ? gotta make sure the wife won't kill me for spending so much lately before I do though haha

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm not sensitive to drone at all so bear that in mind when reading the following:

I had a Charger R/T before the Challenger and its previous owner had sawed off the resos. I thought it sounded awesome: loud, but not obnoxious, very full and satisfying at startup, and screaming loud at WOT. I'm sure it was terrifying to the rest of the traffic, but when I go WOT I like people to wake up and get out of the way so it worked for me. :sneaky: I got pulled over for speeding 5 or 6 times with that car and even blew by a motorcycle cop pedal to the floor once, and never was my exhaust an issue with LE (my driving style is another story :angel:).
The best part was on decel where the pipes would pop and crackle (no backfire). Pretty badass. Bear in mind also that I drove that car mostly in AutoStick mode. In Drive the 4 cylinder mode and the in & out MDS transitions made me cringe.

The only downside was that the sound was not very V8. Not exactly ricer or V6 either (too deep), but I couldn't discern the trademark V8 staccato.

Now on my Challenger I wanted the same setup, but with straight pipes and the stock tips. The muffler guy pushed for Flowmaster mufflers instead and I'm happy with those for a daily driver. The decibel level is a bit lower and I do get the muscle car sound I crave (only at WOT and idle, though).

For perspective and thinking of your wife, my girlfriend hates it. But she's just scared of the car and hearing the engine is not a good thing in her book. Personally, and since the steering wheel prevents me from seeing the instruments :)disgust:), I like hearing my engine. I commute 30 miles one way daily, mostly on the freeway, and at 65 the exhaust is very noticeable. I wouldn't have it any other way and you can still have a normal conversation or hear your music.

·
Registered
2012 R/T Classic
769 Posts
I have a '13 R/T auto, and I bought the Blasting Bob 2 1/4" kit with glasspacks and I think it's perfect. It's not very loud, but so much better than stock was. No drone to speak of, but the car has a much deeper sound to it. The only time I hear drone is when I start the car and it's in neutral. It's a loud drone, but goes away as soon as I put it in gear. Anymore drone and I don't think that I would like it at all. It is my daily driver though, and I put a lot of miles.

2009-14 Dodge, Challenger, 5.7L ,4db ,resonated, kit, 2014,2011,2012,2010,2009
I'll concur with Rajunz, I have the same BB kit on my 2012. Do yourself a favor and ALWAYS drive in autostick (shit-eatin grin comes as "no cost" option) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sensitive to drone at all so bear that in mind when reading the following:

I had a Charger R/T before the Challenger and its previous owner had sawed off the resos. I thought it sounded awesome: loud, but not obnoxious, very full and satisfying at startup, and screaming loud at WOT. I'm sure it was terrifying to the rest of the traffic, but when I go WOT I like people to wake up and get out of the way so it worked for me. :sneaky: I got pulled over for speeding 5 or 6 times with that car and even blew by a motorcycle cop pedal to the floor once, and never was my exhaust an issue with LE (my driving style is another story :angel:).
The best part was on decel where the pipes would pop and crackle (no backfire). Pretty badass. Bear in mind also that I drove that car mostly in AutoStick mode. In Drive the 4 cylinder mode and the in & out MDS transitions made me cringe.

The only downside was that the sound was not very V8. Not exactly ricer or V6 either (too deep), but I couldn't discern the trademark V8 staccato.

Now on my Challenger I wanted the same setup, but with straight pipes and the stock tips. The muffler guy pushed for Flowmaster mufflers instead and I'm happy with those for a daily driver. The decibel level is a bit lower and I do get the muscle car sound I crave (only at WOT and idle, though).

For perspective and thinking of your wife, my girlfriend hates it. But she's just scared of the car and hearing the engine is not a good thing in her book. Personally, and since the steering wheel prevents me from seeing the instruments :)disgust:), I like hearing my engine. I commute 30 miles one way daily, mostly on the freeway, and at 65 the exhaust is very noticeable. I wouldn't have it any other way and you can still have a normal conversation or hear your music.
Awesome! Lol

That's a good detailed answer! I think I'll go ahead and do it next week!

I plan on getting a tuner for mds and I'll get the good exhaust later!

Thanks a lot man. My wife is prolly gonna be bitching haha

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I took my stock mufflers off and replaced them with what is basically a MagnaFlow copy and i deleted the resonators. On start up (automatic transmission), the car sounds awesome. At 6 am I don't think my neighbors appreciate it. makes my house vibrate with a slight hum. After the car warms up (10 minutes) it gets a bit quieter. When driving to work on the parkway doing about 65 -75 I do get that drone that kind of gets in your head. By slowing down to about 60, makes it alot less noticeable. My wife would probably go nuts if she had to ride along for more than 30 minutes. I may have to do something about the drone. I am going to leave it alone for the spring so i can enjoy the roar for a while. I am also thinking about just putting the sound deadening pads in the trunk to see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my stock mufflers off and replaced them with what is basically a MagnaFlow copy and i deleted the resonators. On start up (automatic transmission), the car sounds awesome. At 6 am I don't think my neighbors appreciate it. makes my house vibrate with a slight hum. After the car warms up (10 minutes) it gets a bit quieter. When driving to work on the parkway doing about 65 -75 I do get that drone that kind of gets in your head. By slowing down to about 60, makes it alot less noticeable. My wife would probably go nuts if she had to ride along for more than 30 minutes. I may have to do something about the drone. I am going to leave it alone for the spring so i can enjoy the roar for a while. I am also thinking about just putting the sound deadening pads in the trunk to see what happens.
From feedback and what I'm reading... The sound deadening stuff would work fine. My wife is never in my car more than a good 10min

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I didn't sound proof my trunk either in the Charger or Challenger, but I do use the Mopar rubber mat (worked in both) and I have a lot of gear in there. That may have helped.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't sound proof my trunk either in the Charger or Challenger, but I do use the Mopar rubber mat (worked in both) and I have a lot of gear in there. That may have helped.
Thanks, that looks better than the stock carpet. Maybe I can I both lol

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does your car have the center located, one piece, so called suitcase muffler?
My 07 Charger R/T did. I removed the suitcase and got the perfect sound with no drone. It was louder but not overbearing, at WOT it roared.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does your car have the center located, one piece, so called suitcase muffler?
My 07 Charger R/T did. I removed the suitcase and got the perfect sound with no drone. It was louder but not overbearing, at WOT it roared.
I'm not to sure. I will have to take a look when I get off work.

·
Registered
588 Posts
At 65-75, can't you slide over to autostick and turn off the MDS? Not sure.

·
Registered
610 Posts
so its the drone because of the msds ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts