Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I just found out from the forums that when in auto-stick manual mode, my car (2011 srt8, auto 5, no modes) will automatically upshift in wot.
Is this correct?
And if this is the case, from a dig only, is there any benefit to leaving it in auto-stick and letting it upshift automatically vs leaving it in D and doing the same?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,643 Posts
Ok. So I just found out from the forums that when in auto-stick manual mode, my car (2011 srt8, auto 5, no modes) will automatically upshift in wot.
Is this correct?
And if this is the case, from a dig only, is there any benefit to leaving it in auto-stick and letting it upshift automatically vs leaving it in D and doing the same?
You have the car. What does the owners manual have to say on this?

Here is what my Hellcat manual has to offer on this subject:

• If normal AutoStick mode is engaged (gear selector in MANUAL position), manual gear selection will be maintained until the gear selector is returned to DRIVE, or as described below. The transmission will not upshift automatically at redline in this mode, nor will downshifts be obtained if the accelerator pedal is pressed to the floor.

• The transmission will automatically downshift as the vehicle slows (to prevent engine lugging) and will display the current gear.

While I don't make it a habit I have once or twice with my Hellcat in manual mode and under hard acceleration hit red line in a lower gear and the transmission did not up shift.

As mentioned above in auto stick mode the transmission will down shift on its own as the vehicle speed drops .

Reports from others seem to indicate the best times at least for the higher performance Dodge cars like the Scat Pack/Hellcat/Demon are obtained by putting the transmssion in manual mode and selecting 2nd gear. Then after launching quickly move the lever from M to D and automatic shift mode and while continuing to accelerate let the transmission up shift. It will do so just before red line

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine did. The benefit would be in spirited driving, the trans won't upshift until you reach the max rpm for each gear. Better controll. I think the shifts felt firmer as well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,475 Posts
No paddle shifters in 2011, correct? With paddle shifters, with the shifter in manual mode, and you shift to 1st with the paddles (paddle mode), it will upshift at just past redline. If just the shifter in manual mode, it will not upshift until you move the stick. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong (I have no paddle shifters).

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,910 Posts
You have the car. What does the owners manual have to say on this?

Here is what my Hellcat manual has to offer on this subject:

• If normal AutoStick mode is engaged (gear selector in MANUAL position), manual gear selection will be maintained until the gear selector is returned to DRIVE, or as described below. The transmission will not upshift automatically at redline in this mode, nor will downshifts be obtained if the accelerator pedal is pressed to the floor.

• The transmission will automatically downshift as the vehicle slows (to prevent engine lugging) and will display the current gear.

While I don't make it a habit I have once or twice with my Hellcat in manual mode and under hard acceleration hit red line in a lower gear and the transmission did not up shift.

As mentioned above in auto stick mode the transmission will down shift on its own as the vehicle speed drops .

Reports from others seem to indicate the best times at least for the higher performance Dodge cars like the Scat Pack/Hellcat/Demon are obtained by putting the transmssion in manual mode and selecting 2nd gear. Then after launching quickly move the lever from M to D and automatic shift mode and while continuing to accelerate let the transmission up shift. It will do so just before red line
The supercharged 6.2 Hemi must be programmed differently. On other non-supercharged motors, the transmission with upshift when you reach redline to prevent engine damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No paddle shifters and no sport mode options on this year. I drove an sxt of the same year, auto 5 as well. Had it in 1st. manual mode and I missed the shift and it did it automatically so I'm assuming from the forums that this is a normal thing for it to upshift, even on the srt8 but I'm just chicken to try and wanted more confirmation. Also wanted to know if there was any benefit vs just in D and from what deno379 said, it may rev a little higher on the redline vs just in D.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
'16 SP with paddle shifter.

Paddles are turned "off" as I never use them. I always drive in Sport Mode.

If I go to manual shift, the motor will go to redline or close at WOT and stay there, and transmission will stay in that gear until I shift to the next gear.

Found this out by accident once. Lol

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,384 Posts
On my 2006 5sp auto Charger that is how it was, I believe no difference in shifts at WOT,
'16 SP with paddle shifter.

Paddles are turned "off" as I never use them. I always drive in Sport Mode.

If I go to manual shift, the motor will go to redline or close at WOT and stay there, and transmission will stay in that gear until I shift to the next gear.

Found this out by accident once. Lol
If you turn on the paddles, and use them BUT leave the shifter alone in drive, it is like a "Temporary manual mode". You can trigger upshifts, or down shifts at will (within reason) but it will still upshift automatically and not bounce off the rev limiter. Also after a period of "normal" driving, it will revert back to fully automatic "D" mode, or just pull back on the right paddle, and it will revert to automatic mode.
If you move the shifter to the left, then you are in (almost) full manual mode where it will not upshift, but it will downshift as you come to a stop.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can also confirm, when in manual mode, it will ping red line and not upshift, nor downshift if you were to be out of the right gear based on torque curve.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
On my 2006 5sp auto Charger that is how it was, I believe no difference in shifts at WOT,

If you turn on the paddles, and use them BUT leave the shifter alone in drive, it is like a "Temporary manual mode". You can trigger upshifts, or down shifts at will (within reason) but it will still upshift automatically and not bounce off the rev limiter. Also after a period of "normal" driving, it will revert back to fully automatic "D" mode, or just pull back on the right paddle, and it will revert to automatic mode.
If you move the shifter to the left, then you are in (almost) full manual mode where it will not upshift, but it will downshift as you come to a stop.
Yep. I hit the rev limiter in 1st, when I thought that I had it in "D".

I'm not a paddle guy, so I just leave them "off".

When in manual, and say I'm in 3rd and start slowing to a stop, it will downshift to 1 if I stop.

Love this tranny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts