Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with the predator and I have raised the shift points to 6400rpm, Now at WOT when the car upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear the tires spin. The car feels faster and pulls stronger, I kinda like it but is it common with the auto tranny? Cause I know that with the manual transmission drivers can do that intentionally. Am I putting too much pressure on the drivetrain?

·
Registered
251 Posts
It should be fine. My R/T will chirp/spin the tires everytime on the 1-2 shift if I am into the throttle hard. No issues so far.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Naah! Enjoy your new unlocked power. I did the same setting change with my Predator almost a year and a half ago with no issues. Harder shifts are actually better for your auto transmission. The exhaust sounds better in that RPM range. It really helps the ETs at the strip as well.

I see in your signature that you take your car to the road course. I do as well. In that case, you may want to make sure you short-shift 2nd gear when leaving pit lane. I was leaving the pit road going onto the track (Sears Point/Infineon in Sonoma, CA) and let the car shift on its own and the wheels spun hard (partly because it's uphill there) and the back end almost came around. That would've been an embarrassing spin, coming out of pit lane. On the track with an automatic, gear management can be pretty important, especially in high-speed turns.

At what track was that picture taken?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up, I'm liking the car more than ever with these shifts.

I see in your signature that you take your car to the road course. I do as well. In that case, you may want to make sure you short-shift 2nd gear when leaving pit lane. I was leaving the pit road going onto the track (Sears Point/Infineon in Sonoma, CA) and let the car shift on its own and the wheels spun hard (partly because it's uphill there) and the back end almost came around. That would've been an embarrassing spin, coming out of pit lane. On the track with an automatic, gear management can be pretty important, especially in high-speed turns.

At what track was that picture taken?
I kinda knew about this trick, not from a bad experience but first gear on a road course scares me. there is so much power to put to the ground. good thing we don't need it around the track. My car ran out of gas in the middle of the session, nothing can top that. it was beyond embarrassing. It was my first time though and I was too excited to look at the gas gauge.

The pic was in Monticello raceway, NY. The track set up is really good, a lot of turns and some good straights too

·
Registered
533 Posts
That is embarrassing. I've heard of another Challenger driver who ran out of gas on the track. He has a B5 Blue Challenger like mine, so when I went to the track on another date they thought it was me and gave me a warning. LOL. Always make sure you have at least a half a tank when on the road course. You can get away with a 1/4, but not always. I'm always interested in other tracks, but I don't think I'll make it out to New York anytime soon. Remember to always keep it shiny side up! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts