Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone has replaced their auto trans fluid yet? Specifically, I am wondering if anyone drained the pan (and not the tq converter) and refilled it with synthetic fluid? I wonder if it would cause any issues blending with the remaining conventional fluid in the converter (especially if there are some miles on the oem fluid) ... Thoughts?

·
Banned
368 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
AND... do NOT let anyone do a fluid exchange on your transmission fluid without looking over the shoulder of the tech doing the job!! Had an "incident" with a local trans shop putting junk fluid supposedly covering "all" transmissions in wife's Pacifica. I did my homework, found their vendor, verified what this shop had purchased and confronted the owner about filling the transmission with this "all transmissions" fluid (non-synthetic) which specifically mentioned "not for use in Chrysler 906 transmissions" on the vendors website. I got my money back and took it to the Chrysler dealer the next day for a flush and fill with ATF+4. I hope they used the correct stuff because it was "bulk" fluid. Just waiting for the solenoids to gum up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AND... do NOT let anyone do a fluid exchange on your transmission fluid without looking over the shoulder of the tech doing the job!! Had an "incident" with a local trans shop putting junk fluid supposedly covering "all" transmissions in wife's Pacifica. I did my homework, found their vendor, verified what this shop had purchased and confronted the owner about filling the transmission with this "all transmissions" fluid (non-synthetic) which specifically mentioned "not for use in Chrysler 906 transmissions" on the vendors website. I got my money back and took it to the Chrysler dealer the next day for a flush and fill with ATF+4. I hope they used the correct stuff because it was "bulk" fluid. Just waiting for the solenoids to gum up.
That is the truth brother. I never let anyone do work on my vehicles unless I have to (because of lack of equipment). For every one shop/mechanic that does a good ethical job there are many more that are out there to rip you off, take shortcuts, and make mistakes. I can't even remember the last time I was pleased with the work done on one of my vehicles ... but I can remember all the times my vehicles come back in worse shape than I dropped them off in. My Gen Coupe was rear ended when I had under 1k miles on it and the shop that did the repair (which was over $5k in damage) did more damage to the car than the accident did lol. They spent another two weeks just doing rework on what they could not blame on me. They tried to tell me I brought the car in with all the windows scratched and all the body panels scratched ... with under 1k miles ... the only parts they were willing to rework were the panels that were scratched after they had repainted it themselves! ... Which was half the car .... crooks. They probably did not cover my car after they painted it and it collected dust from sanding vehicles and cutting metal and glass then they washed it quickly giving it a good scrub down in the process and totally jacked up the paint and windows. My wife used to work for two dealerships at the front desk and she would tell me all kinds of stories about customers going nuts from dumb mistakes the service guys and valets made. My favorite was when they forgot to close a customer's sunroof before putting it through the automated car wash ...

No offense to anyone on here that is a mechanic or shop owner that is legit and cares about the work they do. I just seem to wind up with the ones who dont :disgust:.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No offense to anyone on here that is a mechanic or shop owner that is legit and cares about the work they do. I just seem to wind up with the ones who dont :disgust:.
Me too. I cringe every time I "have" to take it in for work I cannot do at home.

Not sure if it's becasue these techs are working on 4 cars at a time or what, but crap man, they are sloppy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts