Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen this anywhere and it doesn't happen all the time but occasionally when I take my foot off the gas the car slows down rapidly.
Like 30-15 mph in 100ft. or so. The transmission will be in 5th or drop to 4th. If I put it in neutral it doesn't slow down quite as fast. Rpms don't change too much.
I've only got slightly over 100 miles on her. I've tried the e-brake on and off thinking it might be slightly engaged but made no difference.
Anybody else ever have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
when you're decelerating, and your vehicle speed drops, the transmission goes to lower gears anticipating you'll need the lower gearing for acceleration.

This is vs. the older style automatics that delay/ lag and have a downshift as you give more throttle to get around sluggish acceleration. [aka: dumb automatics]

Mimics what a manual transmission driver would do.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Is it in sport mode or not? Sport mode will definitely do what you?re talking about. It?s just like Hal said... I don?t notice it as much when sport mode is off.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
When I'm going down a steep hill, my transmission downshifts regardless if I'm in cruise control or not. I guess this is all in the name of saving brake pads?

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
When I'm going down a steep hill, my transmission downshifts regardless if I'm in cruise control or not. I guess this is all in the name of saving brake pads?
its to maintain your speed going downhill - if you're giving it throttle it won't downshift.

Unlike the old styles where it practically free-wheeled downhill, then you'd have to keep braking to avoid too much speed (such as a curve coming up) while going downhill.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
It is in a constant readiness for you to stomp the throttle. Now do it! Hahaha. Better wait a few minutes, still new.
Yes mine does the same thing, God Bless it. Even pops out the exhaust once in a while......SO COOL! Just enjoy it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you're decelerating, and your vehicle speed drops, the transmission goes to lower gears anticipating you'll need the lower gearing for acceleration.

This is vs. the older style automatics that delay/ lag and have a downshift as you give more throttle to get around sluggish acceleration. [aka: dumb automatics]

Mimics what a manual transmission driver would do.

Yeah I think your right. Just seems a little too aggressive. Almost like a small parachutes opening up behind me. lol

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yeah I think your right. Just seems a little too aggressive. Almost like a small parachutes opening up behind me. lol
You own a high performance car now. The transmission is very state of the art. Built for high horsepower. So, that is just how it acts. It is weird to get used to. Not at all good for gas mileage, but........... that's not why we bought these.

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
Its like a manual - you'll get used to holding the throttle to maintain speed...

The old style automatics had that 'disconnected' feel where the driveline didn't "connect" up again until you got on the throttle again.

At least you don't have the decel like the manuals which have the 3.90 gears - your 3.09s have a little more 'coast' to them.

Its gets down to moderating the throttle vs. the fully on / fully off on the accelerator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts