Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, I have never used this so can someone explain how it works.

In general, it prevents the auto up-shifting?

Say I paddle to 3rd gear - and I jump on the gas - it will still downshift automatically -right? Same if you were to slow down.

Also, has anyone ever driven an 8 speed? Do you notice the shifting?

Thanks in advance:ugh2:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'll talk about the 5-speed NAG1 because I haven't driven the 8-speed and it's currently not available on a Challenger anyway (unless I missed it). You will find all about manual mode, AKA AutoStick, here: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/how-use-autostick-85990/
Paddles and shifter have exactly the same function, although the shifting is slightly faster and smoother with the paddles, for some reason. And in that mode the transmission will still upshift on its own at redline and downshift on its own when coming to a stop, although the auto-upshift can be prevented by turning on Sport Mode on the models so equipped.
To address your question, no, there is no kickdown in AutoStick. The transmission only downshifts to avoid stalling or straining, not for best acceleration - you have to manually drop a gear or two.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
It auto upshifts if you get near to the red line it in the gear you have selected.
It only auto downshifts when you are slowing down (i.e. stopping at a red light), not when you gas it.

If you want the car to automatically chose the gear that is correct for the speed, engine revs and accelerator position, leave it in auto mode.
If you want the transmission to automatically drop down a gear or two when you gas it, then leave it in auto.

Otherwise experiment and try it out. You won't break it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
We've got the 8 speed on Michelle's 300s and it shifts very smoothly. It has paddles also. I've used them a few times on the 300s.
I've got the paddles on my srt8 Challenger. I use them a lot. I'll try to explain/answer your questions.
If I've paddled to 3rd gear and jump on it, it will not down shift on it's own. You have to do it.
It does down shift as you approach a stop sign/light on it's own.
It will up shift if you wait til you hit the rev limiter as you accelerate unless you're in sport mode....then it just bounces off the rev limiter and you have to shift.
It is very fun to just mash the gas and bang through the gears. It shifts very fast (to me at least) and very firmly. If you do decide to down shift as you slow down, you can jump 2 gears. If you're in 5th and are slowing from say 60 to 40, you can hit the down shift paddle two times quickly and it will go from 5th to 3rd with just a brief stop at 4th. It does not have down shift rev matching so there is a bit of drive line shock but it's not bad. My 370z auto 7speed did have down shift rev matching but I don't remember it being any more smooth than my Challenger. Hope that helps a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts