Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone autocross with their Challenger? I'm thinking about getting into it and I was wondering if anyone has any advice? It looks like a great time but the Chally looks a little big compared to what I've seen other people run.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are several of us that autox and road race our challengers. Post below this one has a bunch of vids of me racing this year. I've been racing in CAM-C class this year and won the overall point series. If your area doesn't offer CAM, STP (street touring pony) is a new category for 2016 that should also be fun. You should find the car competitive locally but we are totally outclassed on a national level. Trying to race a 4400lb car against 3200lb cars is a tough task. Go out and have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I autocross my 2010 R/T and it is fun as hell. I'm still pretty new to it, and it's a big learning curve. I'll admit I feel a little out of place surrounded by Miatas, BR-Zs and whatnot, but I still have a blast. Compared with other cars on street tires, I've actually been decently competitive. Events are kinda hard to come by where I live, but when they do happen, it seems like every enthusiast in the area gets together for it. I've made a lot of friends doing it. Nobody seems to care that I wrestle a big heavy Challenger around a mall parking lot. I say go for it. You'll love it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. It looks like it would be a helluva lot of fun!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is an automatic transmission a handicap or help in Auto X?
There is very little shifting in an AX, so there is not much difference. Left foot braking is much easier with an auto. It can be done with a manual, but pedal positioning makes it awkward. As you gain experience, left foot braking can offer some advantages.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Anyone autocross with their Challenger? I'm thinking about getting into it and I was wondering if anyone has any advice? It looks like a great time but the Chally looks a little big compared to what I've seen other people run.
I just got into it at the tail end of last year and let me say it's a blast! One thing I've seen is tires will make your biggest improvement. Make sure you've got them at the proper inflation to get the most out of them. You're right she's a big girl but she handles well depending on the course and can hold her own.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
on a tight short course, we get obliterated, on longer, bigger course we can hold our on
definitely a big girl, kind of like trying to turn the Titanic

Luke

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Is an automatic transmission a handicap or help in Auto X?
Personally I think the A8 with paddle shifters is the best. As someone said you can left foot break and still shift when needed. What I've done is leave it in auto for my first run to pick up on shift points and get a feel for the course then switch it over for my following runs.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
on a tight short course, we get obliterated, on longer, bigger course we can hold our on
definitely a big girl, kind of like trying to turn the Titanic

Luke
The final course I ran last year was extremely tight. Out of 8 runs I coned in 5 of them. But at the end I wound up 14th overall in PAX out of 40 some. So I was very pleased.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
I auto crossed my 370Z a few times and it was a blast for sure. Havent done it yet with my Challenger yet and really not sure if I want to to be honest. After being smoked in my Z and seeing what these guys/gals can do with a Honda Civic will make you cry.

It would be fun no matter what you drive in Auto X if there is a specific competitive class you can run in.

Be careful on tire/wheel and suspension setups as this can bump you up in class that will get your butt kicked. Even a CAI can change things in classes.

It is a boat ton of fun tho!

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
love your "controlled steering" at 0.50; very smooth

ODP
i was trying to hard, was nearly 2 seconds faster than any other Challengers there that day, but was slow compared to a couple of Mustangs,

its a friggin blast

and best part of it all, im not destroying a race car, I drive it home....

one of the 4 times i have been dirty side up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBrthGMUaWw

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I agree we'll never keep up with the Miatas and such but in FS we can hold our own with the Mustangs and Camaros on a local level and properly equipped in the CAM class too as evidenced by the OP. The PAX numbers help across the classes but we're still disadvantaged.

As far as set ups to stay street class you have to be 200tw or greater and can only go +\- 1" on wheel diameter and 7mm on offset with factory width wheels. Virtually no suspension changes and CAI would knock you up. That's why I haven't put my Hellcat box in yet. I'm going to run FS this year then probably do some mods and run CAM next year and hopefully not get smoked. Either way its fun as hell and extremely addicting!

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
I'm so heavily modified that I cant compete against what they put me with, however, I dont care, having too much fun
really looking forward to ultimate street car challenger in 16, will compete in Bowling Green and Charlotte, was also considering doing NJ
Luke

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
I'm so heavily modified that I cant compete against what they put me with, however, I dont care, having too much fun
really looking forward to ultimate street car challenger in 16, will compete in Bowling Green and Charlotte, was also considering doing NJ
Luke
ya, you told me about that wreck when we spoke about a year ago.... smooth driving so not surprised you were 2 sec faster

are you doing the OPTIMA Ultimate Car Challenge?
if you come to NJMP let me know I am down there with NASA NE

Honda Civix are no joke; they do pedal to the metal pretty much during the entire course so 1900 lbs and 220 hp is quicker than 4200 lbs and 470 hp... on most road course to the exception of the Glen and other fast tracks

ODP

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
ya, you told me about that wreck when we spoke about a year ago.... smooth driving so not surprised you were 2 sec faster

are you doing the OPTIMA Ultimate Car Challenge?
if you come to NJMP let me know I am down there with NASA NE

Honda Civix are no joke; they do pedal to the metal pretty much during the entire course so 1900 lbs and 220 hp is quicker than 4200 lbs and 470 hp... on most road course to the exception of the Glen and other fast tracks

ODP
still a lot of fun, with not much chance of destroying a car, now, BG is a different story, high speeds can have significantly different outcome

Luke

ps something i have never worn, a Hans device, have to buy one and my helmet is no longer compliant, so a new helmet as well, only money, so glad my daughter graduated out of college last december

1 - 20 of 38 Posts