21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
As far as set ups to stay street class you have to be 200tw or greater and can only go +\- 1" on wheel diameter and 7mm on offset with factory width wheels. Virtually no suspension changes and CAI would knock you up.
Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
Crazy question, but could a R/T run SRT wheels (9.5 inch wide) and tires and still be considered factory? Also, can you run another size/width tires, on said wheels, and still run street class?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Crazy question, but could a R/T run SRT wheels (9.5 inch wide) and tires and still be considered factory? Also, can you run another size/width tires, on said wheels, and still run street class?
No you can't run SRT wheels and stay street unfortunately. The wheel width must remain the same that originally came on the car. You can run any size/width of tire that will fit on that wheel width however. You can also go +/- 1" on wheel diameter. I just got a new set of wheels and went down to 19" so I could put a set of Potenza Re-71Rs on. Will also drop my ride height by close to an inch too.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Road race a long track. A8 in total auto with Track mode. Set it and forget it, it is faster and smarter then you. On the course we have plenty of other things to do.
One of my laps on a long course last fall: http://youtu.be/nMjhn8RH8q4

·
Registered
62 Posts
i thought there was an update/backdate rule for running options that didn't come with your car but were factory available. Tons of non brembo mustangs in fs running 19" wheels because they came stock on the brembo cars. I wouldn't see the issue on running hellcat wheels on an current gen challenger and still being fs legal.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i thought there was an update/backdate rule for running options that didn't come with your car but were factory available. Tons of non brembo mustangs in fs running 19" wheels because they came stock on the brembo cars. I wouldn't see the issue on running hellcat wheels on an current gen challenger and still being fs legal.
What size are the stock mustang wheels? I don't think diameter is the issue I think its width. Mine came with 20" and I'm going to run 19" this year but I had to stick with the same width.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just talked to my local scca rep and you are correct. The mustang guys are getting away with wheel and brake upgrades because they are option packages on the gt mustang. Sense the srt/hellcat wheels, brakes, etc were not optional on an r/t, they aren't allowed. They have locked mods down to specific model options. You can still go +/- 1" on size and +.275 on offset but they can't be any wider. I didn't think to ask if scat pack was an option package for the r/t or it's own specific model.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I would consider the SP an option for the R/T. I also took full advantage of the 7mm offset difference. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
How do you guys have your alignment set? That's another thing I want to get done before the season starts and want to know what to ask for short of as much neg camber positive caster and toe that the factory specs will allow

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I competed in the SCCA driving a 2008 Chevy Impala SS in the F-Stock class. I won two out of the first three events and ended up 2nd overall for the season. So, AX'ing a Challenger should be a blast and then some. In fact, there was a 2009 Challenger R/T in my class along with a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2010 Chevy Camaro, 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo, and a few others.

·
Registered
215 Posts
7015, could you post some interior pictures of your car? I would love to see the rollbar and seat harness's. Also any pics of the old impala SS in race trim?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
7015, could you post some interior pictures of your car? I would love to see the rollbar and seat harness's. Also any pics of the old impala SS in race trim?
Here's one photo taken the day I picked up the car from the install. I have since done custom work to the door side bars. I had the carbon fiber "tape" taken off the door side bar ends and Rhino Liner sprayed on (much more difficult than one would think). I also painted the mounts where the door side bars sit. In addition, I changed out the clevis keys to a T-Handle style and on the foot mounts, I had the lanyards riveted to the mount.

If you want more photos (especially of the bars behind the seats and toward the rear wheel wells), let me know. As for the Impala SS in race trim, let me do some digging. I'm sure I've got some to share.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Found a few photos of my 2008 Impala SS that I autocrossed. I was the Public Relations Director for a 3-track motorsports facility and the owner of the place wrapped my car to help promote racing. Since I was required to use my own car for many events (parades, car shows, sponsorship sales, etc.), the wrap was very nice to have. I entered my Impala in car shows and raced it.

There was a 2009 Challenger R/T that raced in my class with a husband and wife team. She regularly clocked better times than he did.

My Impala would a little tough keeping a smooth line around the course. Sometimes the car would understeer or oversteer and although it was front-wheel drive, it would literally drift in some corners. No matter how it handled, it was very fun! I haven't taken either one (2015 R/T & 2009 SE) of my Challengers to the track. I hope to this year though!

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
7015, thanks for the photos. Bars and harness's look cool! :thumbsup:Was wondering if you noticed any handling differences from the added roll bar, due to possibly stiffening the chassis?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks Luke. I'm going to check out rpm bars. If you guys don't mind me asking, about how much $ to get harness's and roll bar?

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
Thanks Luke. I'm going to check out rpm bars. If you guys don't mind me asking, about how much $ to get harness's and roll bar?
dont remember exactly on the bar, approx 1500.00, had our body shop paint and clear coat, harnesses about 140.00 each, I also deleted the back seat and remove everything i could to reduce weight
LUke

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
7015, thanks for the photos. Bars and harness's look cool! :thumbsup:Was wondering if you noticed any handling differences from the added roll bar, due to possibly stiffening the chassis?
My 2015 R/T handled very well before the rollbar, but as I'm sure you guessed the handling is exceptional with the bar. One of the simplest ways I noticed the stiffening of the chassis was not on a track at all. It is pulling into steep/angled driveways (one rear wheel will occasionally leave the ground completely).

As far as costs go, I pretty much destroyed $5,000.00 for the rollbar / harness set up. That includes paint, installation, and the custom work I've had done since the originally installation. It is a streetable setup but definitely not for everyone partly due to the fact that you'll lose access to the rear seat of your car. Instant 2-seater!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts