Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Challenger pilots, want to get some opinions. 2months ago I bought a 2010 SRT8, and plan on a lot of autocross and a few road courses a year. The car came with the stock 20X9 aluminum rims and it has 245/45R Falken street tires on it. I already purchased a BC coilover setup, rear sway bar, and front and back strut tower braces for it. What I'm trying to figure is if it'll be good/necessary to change wheel size, for running a set of treadwear 200 tires on it. I'd really appreciate some experienced voices here. Thanks! And I'm glad to be on the site!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah i would go as far to say try and fit the widest tire size possible on a 9” wheel , your looking into a 275/somethinsumtin

Probably dont want to put a different size in the rear, keep all 4 identical

And if your REALLY going for it and dont mind shredding corners off your tires early, you can look into some upper front controll arms to get an aggressive alignment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ran factory 245s all around at my first event. I bought some Scat Pack replica 10.5 wheels and put 295s on them, but they rubbed the knuckle in the front. So then I have been running staggered past 2 months, 9" front wheels with 275s and the 295s on the rear. Kumho's. This is not a bad set up because it forces understeer. The Kumho Ecstas are not bad, price wise not bad. I've got 10 runs on them so far. However, I am participating in NASA and I eventually want to run American Iron. That limits you to 18" wheels. I've not found any decent width of 18" tires, that is anywhere close to the stock height. In a way that is good because it helps me with gearing, but I'd really like to get closer to what I have running the 245s or 275s on 20's. And I'd prefer to run square.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I ran factory 245s all around at my first event. I bought some Scat Pack replica 10.5 wheels and put 295s on them, but they rubbed the knuckle in the front. So then I have been running staggered past 2 months, 9" front wheels with 275s and the 295s on the rear. Kumho's. This is not a bad set up because it forces understeer. The Kumho Ecstas are not bad, price wise not bad. I've got 10 runs on them so far. However, I am participating in NASA and I eventually want to run American Iron. That limits you to 18" wheels. I've not found any decent width of 18" tires, that is anywhere close to the stock height. In a way that is good because it helps me with gearing, but I'd really like to get closer to what I have running the 245s or 275s on 20's. And I'd prefer to run square.
What year and model car do you have?

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
275/45R18. Bridgestone just started manufacturing this size in the s007A and I believe it give you the 27” OD to match a factory 245/45R20

I recently purchased them and they as suuuuper sticky and just tested then at the canyon yesterday. Pretty insane grip.

Cons are they are asymmetrical making dismount rotating impossible

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
632 Posts
245/45-20 are 28.7" diameter
275/45-18 are 27.7" diameter, an inch shorter

The math is (width*aspect ratio/100*2)/25.4 + wheel diameter

Or (275*45/100*2)/25.4+18 = 27.74

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
by far the best 200 threadwear, Potenza Re71R or BFG Rival S 1.5, the issue is tire size availability, most 18 inch wheel will not fit over 6 piston Brembos, if your on 4, should not be an issue, have very little experience with 18's on a Challenger, somebody on here is running wide 18's sticking way out of the fenders:D

but not sure their set up

the biggest set that will fit is best

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
275/45R18. Bridgestone just started manufacturing this size in the s007A and I believe it give you the 27” OD to match a factory 245/45R20

I recently purchased them and they as suuuuper sticky and just tested then at the canyon yesterday. Pretty insane grip.

Cons are they are asymmetrical making dismount rotating impossible

I love how that looks. Nice beefy sidewall

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
245/45-20 are 28.7" diameter
275/45-18 are 27.7" diameter, an inch shorter

The math is (width*aspect ratio/100*2)/25.4 + wheel diameter

Or (275*45/100*2)/25.4+18 = 27.74
Ok, did that one wrong
So you technically give up 1/2” of ride height going with my size then

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
245/40s the same

A Guy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok, I don't think they'll fit with your knuckle but I run 18x11" wheels and 315 tires. But Scat Pack knuckles are different.

May depend on the wheel also. I'm running 275s/295s on Scat pack replica wheels that clear the knuckle. That all said, I am so frustrated with fighting brake issues, I went to Cleveland Power and Performance and ordered a 4 piston Brembo upgrade off a Charger SRT, which includes knuckles. Only question now is if 18's will clear those 4 piston Brembos. I think they will. I was pretty sure they would not clear the 6 piston Brembos, so even though those are what I wanted, I did not order them. When I get it all together, I'll share.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
May depend on the wheel also. I'm running 275s/295s on Scat pack replica wheels that clear the knuckle. That all said, I am so frustrated with fighting brake issues, I went to Cleveland Power and Performance and ordered a 4 piston Brembo upgrade off a Charger SRT, which includes knuckles. Only question now is if 18's will clear those 4 piston Brembos. I think they will. I was pretty sure they would not clear the 6 piston Brembos, so even though those are what I wanted, I did not order them. When I get it all together, I'll share. View attachment 987724
They should clear the Brembos, but like you said it depends on the wheel. You may need to run a spacer. I was running 18s when I had my Brembos. I've since upgraded to 6 piston Wilwoods and still can run 18s.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They should clear the Brembos, but like you said it depends on the wheel. You may need to run a spacer. I was running 18s when I had my Brembos. I've since upgraded to 6 piston Wilwoods and still can run 18s.

I don't want to run spacers road racing. Can you tell me about the 18's you are running? Brand, width, backspace, etc?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't want to run spacers road racing. Can you tell me about the 18's you are running? Brand, width, backspace, etc?
I've got Forgestar F14s in 18x11 with +15 offset and I believe I'm running a 10mm spacer, but I'd have to double check that for you to be sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts